I've decluttered everything, why is my house still messy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-17-2005, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've spent the last month or so getting rid of everything we don't need in my entire house and shed. So much has gone to the trash and so much more to the free box. I've let go of clothes that I hate, magazines we don't read, toys we don't need, baby stuff that babe has outgrown, excess bowls or dishes, mismatched plastic storage containers, furniture, all sorts of stuff.
I thought all this work would pay off and I'd have a clean house, NOPE!

The messes are equivalent to what they were before cleaning, the only difference might be that the shelves near the computer are a bit less cluttered, or the cabinets under the sink less clutterred. I am so disappointed. I know I should be proud for getting everything out of my life that we don't need and I am proud of that but still I wish the darn house would stay a little tidy here and there.

Anyone else find this to be true?
#2 of 10 Old 02-17-2005, 05:56 PM

Is your family putting things away when they are finished with them or is everything left out? Now that you've decluttered, you should have room to put everything away, but may be it just isn't a habit to do so yet.

We have a family pick up time every night for 10 minutes. If we skip pick up time, the house looks like a bomb went off.

It is amazing to my how quickly this place gets trashed!
#3 of 10 Old 02-17-2005, 06:14 PM

Do a re declutter. See what else you do not use. Also as a role model, start cleaning up have everyone else do this and see what happens

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 10 Old 02-17-2005, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you have kids? That'll do it

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 10 Old 02-17-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Do you have kids? That'll do it

The first chapter of the book I'm reading on organizing deals with this idea that a house that stays clean is attainable (even houses that are not lived in need dusting and pest control etc). Try not to be so hard on yourself!
KUDOS to you for getting rid of all that stuff!

Don't know what systems you are reading about by my book discusses being motion minded (having stuff kept where it is used, easy to get out and put back etc).

and as soon as I start doing that I'll let you know how it goes :LOL
#6 of 10 Old 02-18-2005, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yep we have kids and live in muddy new mexico.

We don't always put things away. It looks like a bomb went off in here too.

DH doesn't even clean up after himself. He has filled up an entire room with his dirty clothes even thought the hamper is about 5 feet away :

I am constantly sweeping up the mud brought in (so I am sweeping twice a day and we don't even wear our shoes inside).

I think a good 10 minute slean up is a fab idea. It is amazing how much can be done in just 10 minutes. Also, if it makes for a happier mama in the morning, everyone should be thrilled to help.
#7 of 10 Old 02-18-2005, 01:43 PM

I am right there with you....but here's what seems to be working for me/us. I am decluttering to the point where anything non-essential is going. I would go through once again with the idea of "simplifying" now....not just de-cluttering. Simplify your book cases. Do you absolutely need everything that is on your shelves, bookcases?
(I seriously think I have add and I just cant handle cabinets, bookcases, shelves, cupboards full of stuff) I need things to be simple enough to put away....I dont like having to move things out of the way to get to something that's way in the back....kwim? )
Also, do you have a lot of furniture in your living space? Is there something that can go? I have found that less is more....
I hope that helps...we have 5 children and it's really difficult to keep things looking nice...it's a constant struggle.....good luck!!!!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#8 of 10 Old 02-18-2005, 03:01 PM

I once saw a quote in another mama's siggy line. It read...

"Cleaning your house before your children are done growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing"

That is the story of my life
#9 of 10 Old 02-18-2005, 03:06 PM

Yep, my house is pretty organized but with 2 kids under two, the common person can't ell.(including dh at times) :LOL
I make sure everything has a place. Get loads of matchingbaskets, containers for your house, ( I lovve IKEA's little wooden drawers for bills, paperwork, odds and ends) and get everything a box or drawer or something.Then you will have organized clutter but you can't see it:LOL
Like, we put the drawers way up high where dd can't reach and put srewdrivers, odd buttons, matches, all kinds of stuff. pens, paperclips. Little stuff noone wants to see. Then I see these pretty little drawers on my shelf instead that I modpadged with decorative paper HTH

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#10 of 10 Old 02-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Well, my house is a mess, always. Maggie sees to that.

That said, though, here sre two mantras we are trying to pu in place around here:

"A place for everything, and everything in its place."

&

"Don't put it down. Put it away."

It sounds like you have a lot less stuff, but it all still needs a home. (And boy, do I know that feeling.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page