How do you tame the sock monster? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-18-2005, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't posted in this forum before, but I have three big questions and I'm hoping you all can help. I am housekeeping illiterate -- it's my learning disability I think. I look at my house -- I'm one of those mamas for whom daily dishes and laundry and having everybody out of pajamas on the same day is a trick. So, my first question:

How do you tame the sock monster?

I'm not willing to do all same socks for each person, although it's a great idea ... we all take a lot of joy in our socks in this house, hokey as that sounds. BUT we can never find two of a kind at once! I am often wearing dh's socks, my kids wear each others socks, never the same 2 at once. So then the clean mismatched socks end up scattered from their original neat pile of "Wait to find the match" and ... well, there are socks everywhere and no two match! I coudl make a sock puppet menagerie! LOL

Any ideas on getting all the socks to one central location for washing to avoid mismatches, and then getting them matched? My kids are 1, almost 3, and 5.5 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 02-18-2005, 11:26 AM

Ahhh - I know the battle well & it's only 3 of us.

I love the idea of having all the same socks but it doesn't work for us. I did buy 2 6-pack of white socks for dd because that's what she wears most often. For all her socks though I keep a little stash of safety pins & pin them together before they go in the hamper. This works about 90% of the time.

For the adult socks, I weaned out all of the socks that don't really get worn or were worn out & it did become more manageable. I keep a little basket in the closet for the mismatched socks. If the match doesn't turn up for awhile I toss it (as hard as that is to do).

Good luck!
#3 of 20 Old 02-19-2005, 11:16 PM

This is my second attempt - lost the last reply.
I'm not sure how to explain this method, but I'll try.

1. Line up the socks one on top of the other.
2. Open up the elastic of one sock
3. Fold the elastic down over both socks.
4. They should stay together now.

This worked for my mum (who had the same problem for years along with 6 people to find socks for) and works for me.

HTH

CJ
#4 of 20 Old 02-19-2005, 11:27 PM

I've heard the baby pin method too, but I'm not organized enough for it. I have enough trouble getting them right side out before they hit the washing machine! I ended up doing the all same socks for each child thing and it seems to be working well. Except that I couldn't just have white! So, I bought a ton of white cotton....and dyed them multi colored or tie dyed And...if they wear ones that don't match....we call it a 'lucky sock' day....LOL Guess I have other things to stress about LOL

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#5 of 20 Old 02-19-2005, 11:53 PM

I like to have lots of different, easy to identify in a moment socks. YK, lots of bright basic colors, some with snazzy prints, etc. However, I often buy several pairs that are the same so that if I lose one or two or three socks there will still be a pair or two and maybe a spare...

My ds likes only white Keds socks because they have "letters on them" so his are all the same. My dh has all black socks of the same style. But my three daughters and I have a mix.

I am a little pushy about getting laundry into hampers and whenever I find a dirty sock on the floor, I make sure to locate the match and toss them into the hamper together...I don't sort dirty laundry by color or anything so these will usually end up in the same wash load and dryer load.

All childrens socks go into one big box. All my socks go in my socks-n-undies basket (where they stay), all dh's socks go in his socks-n-undies box... We have all of our clothing stored in one room, sorted into boxes (anything small and loose), folded piles, shelves (for two children), closet, dresser (for other two children) and all within arm's reach....

I sort through the kids' sock box when I get tired of having to dig for socks every time. There are usually tons of matches once I make this effort. I ruthlessly get rid of socks that have no matches any longer or are too stained or worn to keep wearing so that there are very few odd socks left--my box gets too full and confusing if there are lots of odd socks that just stay there forever while I'm hoping the match will turn up.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#6 of 20 Old 02-20-2005, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're boring with socks. I used to have cute matching colored socks for ds1 but had the same problem as you Kristi. Now I'm a lame-o and ds1 has a gazillion of the same white socks with gray bottoms. There are a handful of smartwool socks (all navy) for winter too. He has a basket in his top drawer I just toss them into. I never even know if we lose one.

Ds2 has all plain white socks. I buy all the same kind so I don't have to match them. There are a few cute ones for outfits, but who am I kidding... we never use those. Same basket-in-drawer thing going on here too.

Dh has his black dress socks, again, all identical, white athletic socks, and smartwool (his colors are green and navy). I have a bunch of cute socks I never wear and should throw out and the rest are smartwool (I have tan, gray and a different shade of dark blue). That's it.

Not very interesting, huh? I have a whole full drawer of cute 'novelty' socks but I really prefer the smartwool now. One of my friends uses those mesh laundry bags and has the kids put their dirty socks in there, but that's way too organized for me. I'm domestically challenged in the housework dept too.
#7 of 20 Old 02-22-2005, 12:02 PM

Maybe instead of buying all the same socks, you could just buy two pair of each kind? That way you'll usually be able to find at least two or three of a particular sock. You should be able to cut your lonely socks in half, at least
#8 of 20 Old 02-23-2005, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We aim for easy to match socks here. I'm partial to the ones with coloured toes and heals.

After washing all socks and undies are put in a basket where they stay until wearing. Everyso often I'll sit in front of the telly and match socks but usually we just dig for a pair. IT wokrs OK for me and DH but I think I need a new ssytem for DD socks. The're just too small to find in there.
#9 of 20 Old 02-23-2005, 04:32 PM

When I get them out of the dryer, I sort them by who they belong to (dh, me, ds, etc.). Then I go back and go through each person's socks and match them up and put them away. I just do one load of laundry per day (or less) so usually there aren't many socks in a load...at most four or five pairs for one person.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#10 of 20 Old 02-25-2005, 06:31 PM

I read this in a magazine but haven't tried it myself. They recommended buying different mesh bags for each sock owner and hanging it in their room. Dirty socks go into the mesh bag and then directly into the washer. Hope that helps!
#11 of 20 Old 02-26-2005, 12:20 AM

I do what pageta does... Sort them into piles for each person, then match them up for me and Fallon - fold one top down over the other so they stay together. My husband prefers them left loose, so I toss his in his drawer and he hunts and finds a matching pair when needed. If I have a loose one I hang it over the edge of my drawer until I find it's partner. Then it gets folded and tossed in the drawer, or worn and tossed in the laundry. We all have *lots* of socks.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#12 of 20 Old 02-28-2005, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra's momma
They recommended buying different mesh bags for each sock owner and hanging it in their room. Dirty socks go into the mesh bag and then directly into the washer.
I read about this too! It is a great idea! I'd rather play with my boy than sort socks anyday!!
#13 of 20 Old 02-28-2005, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

I've thought of using a mesh bag more than once, but am not sure how to convince the kids to actually USE it -- any creative suggestions? (My fisrt thoght is a game -- whoever has the most socks in their bag on laundry day wins ... something?)
#14 of 20 Old 02-28-2005, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This thread tickles me! We have a sock problem too. I try to match them up as soon as possible, but I do sit on my bed every once and awhile and match the socks while listening to the CBC on the radio. It is a very satisfying job. We have some singles in there that really have to go!

Carolynn
#15 of 20 Old 02-28-2005, 02:33 PM

Both kids have only socks from Old Navy. They come in lots of colors, but the best thing is that they have the size and color written on the bottom of each sock in a "no slip" stuff. And they are cheap (and go on sale often), so I buy at least 2 pairs of each color. That makes matching the right sock to the right person much easier. I wish they did the same for their adult socks. Luckily my DH's socks are distrinctively larger than anyone else's, and mine are "the ones left over".

As for managing them through the laundry stages, I don't have any special system. They all go into a box coming out of the dryer (everything else goes into baskets by person). Generally every couple of days I sort socks while I'm watching TV at night. Things that don't match stay in the box and the match generally shows up eventually. About the time that I buy new socks, I throw out all the "no matches for a while" stuff and start with an empty box.
#16 of 20 Old 03-28-2005, 11:41 AM

My DD loves to mismatch socks - I just let her go. Occasionally I toss here a matched pair.

DH and I share socks, but I have some dress up socks that I share with nobody. Works for us.
#17 of 20 Old 04-04-2005, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaMama
My husband prefers them left loose, so I toss his in his drawer and he hunts and finds a matching pair when needed. If I have a loose one I hang it over the edge of my drawer until I find it's partner.
Loose socks! I never heard of such a thing. That's unamerican - communistic or something! a sign of chaos. you can't live that way!

Really - I've got to be the WORST housekeeper. We do laundry every 2-3 weeks in massive amounts. DH and I both work full-time outside the house. Sometimes ALL the laundry sits in the basket for a week or 2 (clean) until it gets put away, but for some reason I always pair sox. I do the "hang it over the drawer" until the mate is found. But I also try to wash pairs of sox together. It has never ocurred to me not to match the socks. Do people really do that? Wow...

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#18 of 20 Old 04-04-2005, 10:39 PM

As soon as socks come off feet they get folded together and thrown in the hamper that way. I only take them apart to wash and dry as I'm standing over the washer ready to throw them in. Works pretty good but occasionaly I lose a few...mostly due to DH who doesn't follow the rules.
#19 of 20 Old 04-10-2005, 11:41 PM

We just have TONS of socks, so hopefully there will be enough to placate the monster and to wear. But it doesn't always work that way! :LOL I hate matching socks so when I fold laundry I throw all the socks in one basket and wait until the end to match them. I ball the matches up like FancyPants recommended and the leftovers get put in the drawer of an extra dresser in our room. Every few weeks I go through the drawer and usually a few pairs have managed to find each other, the rest go back into the drawer to wait. I have a few socks that have been there since we moved here 5 years ago, but I know as soon as I throw them out I'll find the mate! :

HTH!
#20 of 20 Old 04-29-2005, 12:10 PM

Love the mesh bag idea -- may have to see about that. I had one for baby socks, but it hasn't held up too well.

When we lose socks, its largely due to a playful kitten -- who is obsessed with baby socks. He will PULL THEM THROUGH THE SLATS in the laundry basket!! I get very irritated to see my dd's tiny pink socks strewn about the basement because the cat has gotten them.

What works for me??? Socks go in hamper -- hamper goes down to laundry -- throw in washer and straight into dryer after that. Then, upstairs and folded immediately, and I fold the tops over the matched socks when they are clean... if there is one missing (usually because it got caught in a shirt that was still waiting to be washer), I hold that one sock out and wait for the rest of the laundry to be done -- haven't lost a sock in a while that way. Of course, there's only a few of us here -- me and DH, our 17.5 month old son, and our 1.5 month old daughter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page