solutions swap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-18-2005, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HAVE: solution for books on tape
I have tried so many ways of keeping these organized. Finally I found the answer! Clear adhesive cd/dvd holders from he office supply store. Stick on back of book and tape slips inside.

WANTED: sewing solution
I don't sew much, but would sew more if I had an answer to this problem. I do not have a sewing room or even a sewing corner. I have my machine and sewing stuff fairly organized in a closet, so each time I want to sew I have to drag it all to the kitchen table. Then I don't want to put it away promptly - I never finish a project in one sitting - and now it looks like clutter and the dds can get into everything.
Do I need a sturdy rolling cart or something? Maybe one built for tools in the garage?

Now your turn, post your solution and your want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-18-2005, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great idea for the books on tape

I don't know if this will behelpful for the sewing needs, but here goes...my sewing machine is in the DR in a corner when not in use (a lot lately) I have a plastic 3 drawer cart underneath the computer desk, next room, but close by) that holds scissors, needles, things I am using for current projects...). The rest of my fabric and supplies are upstairs with another sewing box. It keeps them nearby, but not everything at once. I hope someone else will chime in with additional ideas for you.

I can use help with organizing all of the clutter that ends up in my bedroom...pictures, hair do dads, cards, extra wrapping paper..how do others organize all of this household stuff?

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#3 of 9 Old 02-19-2005, 02:21 PM

Another sewing SOLUTION: I have an old (40's) sewing table. I took the sewing machine out of it, and plan to put a recessed storage area in there when I get a chance. In the meantime, I have skirted the table so it looks like a relativelty normal piece of furniture. That way it doesn't look like my dining room is serving two purposes, which those darn decorating/organizing shows say is a no-no. Anyway, I store my sewing machine under the table and little sewing odds and ends in the drawer. You might be able to find one of these at the Salvy or somewhere cheap and make an attractive piece of furniture out of it. My GM's looked like cherry and wasquite attractive.

Organize bedroom SOLUTION: Honestly, that stuff isn't in my bedroom, but I also have only one child (for now) in a large home. I would try to keep it out of my bedroom, because that should be your sanctuary (Ha! I HOPE mine will be relaxing enough to be considered a sanctuary some day.) Is there any way you can get that stuff out of your bedroom?

But if I did have to put those things in my bedroom, this is probably what I would do-
~pictures- store in picture boxes under the bed or on a shelf until I could organize them better, then put in acid free albums. Keep only the ones that are important, with my family in them, etc.
~hair things- I would just keep these all together in one of those see-through zippered bags that Bath and Body Works-ype products come in, or in infant/toddler sized shoe boxes (lids off) in the top drawer of my dresser.
~Cards- I have one of those books that is an address book/monthly date reminders that has pockets in each month for cards. I love it, and it goes in the drawer with the rest of my household books.
~Wrapping paper- Either one of those plastic boxees specially made for paper, o you can make a really nice over-the-door wrapping paper organizer out of fabric. (I saw it on *ugh* Martha a long time ago and it looked like a good ides. Actually, this has inspired me to make one and put it on the back of the door leading to my basement, thus freeing up room in a closet.)

WANTED: Tips for organizing all my various fabric for sewing.
#4 of 9 Old 02-19-2005, 03:38 PM

My project on the go solution: I save canvas bags or pick up totes for about a buck at the thrift shop, and then if I have to stop something in the middle of a project I put all the stuff in the bag & have a cupboard set aside for projects to put everything in. The cupboard isn't really big enough for very many things, so it keeps me in check, and putting things away to a bag where I know I'll be able to find everything doesn't seem as awful as putting everything in it's proper place and then having to dig it all out again.
#5 of 9 Old 03-11-2005, 07:32 PM

MaggiesMom:

I just organized a portion of my home office for my "sewing room" and bought two of those plastic chest of drawers on wheels for fabric storage. I bought the kind that have large bins for drawers so I can pull the whole bin out when I want to select a fabric for the next project.

I could use a solution for storing and organizing sewing patterns!
#6 of 9 Old 03-11-2005, 08:23 PM

Well, I came up w/ a good idea for our DVDs that DD keeps getting into and scratching... I am putting them all in one of those soft cases for storing CDs in your car, not sure what they are called. I will put the boxes up in a closet.

For bed extra sheets, blankets, ect. I put them in those under the bed storage boxes, and put them under the corresponding bed. I also have some in a cedar chest for just extra blankets and keepsake quilts.

All out of season shoes go in a plastic tub until next year! THey can be stored on a top shelf of the closet or under the bed depending on the box size.

For all of that little stuff in your DCs room, get a basket and just put it all in there until you have a minute to actually put it away. I try to do this. I also decided to keep all hair stuff in the bathroom. You can put bows on a ribbon, and hang from a small nail in the inside of a cabinet or behind the door. You could put it inyour childs room if you wanted, but it started to be easier to just keep all hair items in the bathroom.

I have one of those special boxes made for wrapping paper, and I'm planning to just stock it w/ 1 christmas print, and the rest solid colors (red, yellow, purple, pink, blue ect.) so that it goes for birthday, baby, anniversary, christmas. ect.

For pictures and cards (these get piled up in my office) I have one of those sterilite plastic thingys w/ 3 drawers (very small, just a bit bigger than papersize) and I put them all in there until I get a chance to go thru them. I'm planning on putting all professional pictures into one scrapbook (simple one, no cutting and little journaling, using the clear corner holders so I can take them out if I want to use them again). I got a picture storage thing for my regular snapshots, and I hope to start organizing my pictures into it soon. Some I want to scrapbook with and others are just to keep. I plan to organize them according to year (the ones I don't scrap with).

I'm not near as organized as I sound! Mostly I have things I'd like to do, but it's hard to actually get them organized. I'd like ideas on organizing a room w/ 2 girls. We have stuffed animals, diapers and too many clothes! Also those that rotate toys, I'd love a "how to" tutorial: What types do you rotate, what do you always leave out, and what do you do w/ those that are "out of rotation"?
#7 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 PM

For pictures, I cover a shoebox with fabric swaps...then I "file" the pictures in, using scrap pieces of paper or index cards to separate the different occasions or dates. In dd's box (covered with fabric swaps that match her room), I use a pink paper scrap to label each month and then use an index card to label each occasion within the month. I also keep an envelope in the back for "extra" pictures that can be sent to family and friends in thank you notes or birthday cards.

Anyone have any great ideas for a "mobile office?" We have no room for a desk in our house...we store our laptop under the couch...I need a way/place to store mailing supplies and office supplies.
#8 of 9 Old 03-17-2005, 03:30 AM

RE: Sewing
http://www.sews.com/furniture/horn/horn1.html
I have a table similar to item 2111 here. It has a drawer and a cabinet that opens up. The wings of the table fold down, when folded it's about 16" x 30" and doesn't take up much space. In the cabinet I have fabric and in the drawer, notions. It rolls so I can easily roll it out of the way. It's not perfect, but works for now.
#9 of 9 Old 05-12-2005, 01:04 AM

There are plastic lidded containers just the size for standard pattern envelopes. For current patterns, I'd use one of those clear sheet protectors per project.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page