How to Organize Kid's Art Supplies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stink at this. How do you guys do it? We live in a small house. Ideally when we move to a larger house, we'll have room for a small dresser just for art/craft supplies.

Right now, here's what we have. I have my sewing stuff, which often gets raided for art supplies (elastic, etc.). In our living room, there is a built-in bookshelf and one small shelf (about 1 sq. ft.) for construction & drawing paper, craft books, etc. The shelf above has play-doh in a big rubbermaid, box of stickers, rubber stamps, crayons. On the floor there is just a cardboard box with all the other random stuff (mostly ziplocks with pom-poms, feathers, pipe cleaners), but also loose things like glue sticks, pencil sharpeners, etc. All the messy things are stored out-of-toddler-reach (paints, glue bottles, markers, glitter).

It often happens that when DS is looking for one item, the whole box or shelf gets strewn all over the floor in the search. So frustrating! How do you do it?

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 11:47 AM

Julie, you might try a rolling cart from an office supply store. You can get one with 5 smaller drawers or with 2 big and 2 smaller. It has helped me to organize paper, coloring books, stickers. On top I have a basket with stencils. We use the bottem drawer to hold works in progress. All drawers are labelled. They are on sale in our area for 14.99 this week.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#3 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 11:49 AM

I got a cool organizer for the little stuff that hangs on the back of a door (coat closet in our case) It looks like a shoe organizer but it has double mesh pockets totalling 42 pockets in all. Its awesome! The littlest guy can't open the door on his own so he can't destruct things and the big guy goes in whenever he wants for his stuff. For the big stuff I got a filing cabinet - its plastic (shame) and the kids can get in it when they want. Then I also use it to file the cool stuff away. Then they also have a desk where they can keep paper to write on.
#4 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It looks like a shoe organizer but it has double mesh pockets totalling 42 pockets in all.
pixie-n-hertwoboys- Did you buy it online, and if so link?

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 12:59 PM

Ooh, the pocket idea inspires me. I think I'm going to take some old pants and rip off all the pockets and sew them to a piece of fabric, and make a wild one I can make it a wall hanging instead of a door-hanging one, since there is no door on our playroom/office. Kewl, thanks ya'll for inspiring me
#6 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 09:55 PM

I'm in the process of making an over-the-door pocket organizer right now for cards and wrapping paper/ ribbon etc. I have a very small pocket organizer I got at the dollar store for craft supplies.

I saw a really cute idea on the Carol Duvall show that I want to make for DD and my nieces and nephews. You buy a platic milk-type crate and cut a piece of wood to just fit over the opening at the top, so you have created a little table. Then you get fabric and create a slipcover for the crate, making pockets on each side for supplies. You can also put supplies inside the crate. The kids can use it for a table and put their paper and crayone etc inside.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page