Decluttering for a move- advice wanted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-13-2005, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We're planning to get the house on the market by mid-May, and we're hoping to move this summer.

My Mom had suggested that I pack up the things "I want to move with but don't want to have around while showing the house" and send them to my aunt's house. I honestly can't see the point in keeping anything in that catagory, (with the exception of Passover dishes and clothes to be grown into) especially since we're moving into a smaller home. I plan to give away lots of clothes, books, bedding, etc. that we don't need.

What do you suggest I do with CD boxes? I have the CDs in a small case in my car, and the empty boxes are on the top of my closet. I thought I'd like to be able to look up song titles and such, but is this REALLY worth moving with?

What about fabrics for my non-existent home diaper sewing business? Should I keep the fabrics around in case I actually have time for any sewing in the next few months? Store them at my aunt's house and plan on making diapers after settling in? Sell the fabrics and cut my losses?

I also have some bedding that got water damaged in a closet floor. What should I do with it? Give it away stinky? Throw it out? Wash it and then give it away?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#2 of 5 Old 03-20-2005, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
We're planning to get the house on the market by mid-May, and we're hoping to move this summer.
What do you suggest I do with CD boxes? I have the CDs in a small case in my car, and the empty boxes are on the top of my closet. I thought I'd like to be able to look up song titles and such, but is this REALLY worth moving with?

What about fabrics for my non-existent home diaper sewing business? Should I keep the fabrics around in case I actually have time for any sewing in the next few months? Store them at my aunt's house and plan on making diapers after settling in? Sell the fabrics and cut my losses?

I also have some bedding that got water damaged in a closet floor. What should I do with it? Give it away stinky? Throw it out? Wash it and then give it away?
We have a system for CD's We bought a few binders and CD holder pages. The pages have room for 2 CD's and their info. We seperated our CD's into groups and did them by alphabet. I tossed all the holders and put the cover page in one sleeve and the CD in the other. It cut down on all the CD's plus the rack.

Give you self a deadline on your diaper business. You want to concentrate on your move right now. So pack away the fabric and such and Give your self a deadline that is reasonable. Mark it on the calendar. If the date sneaks up at you, forget it it won't work. If you see it ahead of time and can do it- great!

Throw out the bedding and cut loses unless it can be washed and saved. Then ask yourself- will I put this back on my bed today? The answer will be your decision whether to toss or save/give away.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#3 of 5 Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

We saw a house today that completely suits our needs, made a bid on it, and our offer was accepted!!

We were hoping to move by mid-August, but the sellers want to move out of state ASAP so we'll be moving mid-July instead. So now we're in a huge rush to get things ready around here (but at least we're done with the house-hunting part!!)

That's a great idea about the CD packaging. I only have about 10 CDs, and my little CD holder holds 24 CDs, so I guess it would hold 12 if I used half the pockets for the cover sheets.

It's probably safe to say that I won't be able to get any sewing done in the next few months. I have a feeling that, if I move stuff to my aunt's house for storage, I'll never find it when I need it anyway. I think I'll plan on selling the fabric rather than moving with it.

The new house is smaller than this one, so I'm going to have to really cut back on "stuff" before we move. It makes sense to declutter before showing the house.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#4 of 5 Old 03-21-2005, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ruthla - Congratulations!!! Its such an exciting feeling, eh? I'm sure your new place is going to be great.

If you are keeping stuff "just in case", get rid of it. I know how resourceful you are, and if you need it in future, you will know where to get it and cheap too I bet!

Do you know about Freecycle? Its a listserver where you can post stuff that you want to get rid of, and people come and pick it up from you. Its all free. People will take ANYTHING on this list serve. All you have to do is leave it out on your front step. Then you neither have to move it nor drag it to Goodwill or the like.
#5 of 5 Old 03-21-2005, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, I use freecycle freely

I'm planning to give away a crib, rocking chair, dresser, boxes and boxes of books, and anything else I'd forgotten we had. I've already given away clothes, baby stuff, and linens through freecycle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page