Flybabies: how shiny is my sink supposed to be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-27-2005, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just starting the FLYLady thing and so far so good, I'm starting veeeeeeeeeery slowly and so far my thing is shining the sink every night and getting the laundry folded before I go to bed. Next month I add a weekly menu of sorts as well as some daily routine things. I'll never ever wear shoes in the house, that would be a huge offense in the culture I live in. But the shiny sink thing especially appealed to me, so it was the first thing I tried.

But here's the deal: the sink isn't really all that shiny! I tried the whole "recipe" for shining it on one side and was pretty disappointed. I attacked the second side with original Soft Scrub and some Blue Juice (from The Clean Team) and it looked the same as the bleached side. Granted, I got the gunk out of the cracks and stuff (with my Clean Team "toothbrush"), so it looked clean. And I'm still doing it every night - Blue Juice and dry it off.

I'd say it has a soft glow. Shine..... definitely not! The way she described the process I expected to see my face in my sink and call in pilgrims to say prayers at it or something. Anyway, is it just me? Or does anyone else's shined sink not actually shine?

Otherwise I'm enjoying FLYLady and plan to continue moving very slowly into a state of organization and maybe at some point grace.
#2 of 8 Old 03-27-2005, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a ceramic sink. I can get it clean but no way can I see my face in it!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 8 Old 03-28-2005, 11:25 AM

I figure it's just a euphemism sp? for cleaning out your sink. It is nice to wash dishes when there isn't a bunch of gunk in, and around the sink.
#4 of 8 Old 03-30-2005, 08:42 PM

My sink is pretty darn shiny. I don't use her method though, I use my grandfather's (his sink was always super shiney) - I use the cheap powered type stainless steel cleaner they sell in the supermarket for pans and scrub away, make sure to rinse SEVERAL times after. Then dry really well.

Once it's clean the key is to keep the sink dry throughout the day and you will only have to "re-shine" it once a week or even less. I keep a dishrag next to the sink and every time I use it I dry it off. DH thinks I'm a nut but seeing my sink shiney all the time makes me happy

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#5 of 8 Old 03-31-2005, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I am enjoying my sink but I just had to get used to the idea that "shine" didn't necessarily mean "reflective surface" for some reason. Anyway, it's going well so I will need to add a new habit next month - oh that's Friday, wow! OK I think I'm ready. Thanks again!
#6 of 8 Old 03-31-2005, 11:12 AM

LOL Ruthla. I was thinking the same thing. Although, mine is not that clean...but it is white and not gray, so that's a start. Right?
#7 of 8 Old 03-31-2005, 09:06 PM

Mine doesn't shine that much either. It is a cheapo plastic sink that has gotten scratched and has inbeded stains that will never go away without a new sink. At least the faucet looks nice and I at least know it is clean.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#8 of 8 Old 04-02-2005, 01:38 AM

I have a very worn, old, chipped ceramic sink. I'm happy if it's clean. It's NEVER gonna shine again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page