Ive come up with a way to declutter our clothing. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-28-2005, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have decided to pick a certain way of dressing and only buy clothes that fit into that mold. He decided to only wear golf/polo style shirts and khaki pants. I decided to only wear patterned skirts and solid shirts. So now that's all we have in our closets. It makes everything so much easier. Has anyone else ever tried this?

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#2 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 05:02 PM

I would LOVE to do this, and plan to, but as long as I'm nursing/pregnant, my clothing needs change year to year.

This has me thinking, though. There's gotta be some way to have a uniform like this at least whenever i'm not big-pregnant. I just don't like to wear skirts always or pants always. hmmm.

i hate hate hate clothes shopping, seasonal sorting, matching up outfits, etc.

amy
#3 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 05:14 PM

wait- really?

what about special occasions or really cold or hot weather?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#4 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 PM

I'm not sure who you were asking, but in Leah's case, I don't see why a patterned skirt and solid top couldn't be used for almost any weather or occasion.
#5 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 08:29 PM

I did something similar-chose 4 colors I wear a lot, and will only get clothes in those colors. I can have a variety of styles, but everyhting pretty much matches.
#6 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahNH
I did something similar-chose 4 colors I wear a lot, and will only get clothes in those colors. I can have a variety of styles, but everyhting pretty much matches.
That's a great idea! I like the patterned skirt and shirt idea too but I think I'd get sick of never wearing pants. 4 colors I can manage though...

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#7 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I dress *mostly* like that, but I get bored after a while. I like to have a little variety.

I've worn solid knit straight skirts for years- alternating solid colored T-shirts, solid colored long-sleeved t-shirts, and blouses (either solid or patterned, depending on what I'm able to find when I go shopping.) I might just wear the t-shirts for 2 months straight, then one day I'll feel like wearing a blouse. I then might wear blouses for months before wearing a t-shirt again, or I might alternate each day depending on my mood.

I don't wear pants for religious reasons but if I did, I could easily match up pants with my collection of tops. Most of my clothes mix-and-match pretty well, with the exception of navy t-shirts with navy skirts.

When its really hot out, I wear sandals. When its really cold out, I wear boots. In between I wear socks with closed shoes. For dress up (basically every Shabbat) I have a few dresses (which obviously don't need to match with either skirts or tops!!)

When I was pregnant, I did pretty much the same thing, just with larger clothes.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#8 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

For me weather isn't really an issue since I live in Florida. I would just wear a jacket during that week it's cold. But if I lived up north I would apply the same principal and wear tights and a long sleeve shirt. I don't wear pants because I'm 5'2 and can never wear pants that fit right. (rarely)

#9 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 11:39 PM

I have often thought about doing that and within the last year have started moving that way for my clothes.

I am going for blue jeans and solid shirts. I dress in layers for the winter which is fine for the summer, just take off the top long sleeve layer and theres the short sleeve.
I do hjave to have shorts for the summer though. And I do have a few skirts, dresses.

I dont have it down like the OP and probably never will.

After 30 years I have finally found that I like solid colors :LOL
#10 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 11:55 PM

I kind of do that. I have four colors I wear a lot (black, pink, green, brown), and the skirts/jumpers I have are in those colors, but mostly patterned. The tops I have are solids of those colors. It really does make things simpler, for me at least.
#11 of 21 Old 04-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Leah - are you sure we're not married to the same man! :LOL JK....that's my DH's uniform as well. I buy him a different kind of shirt once in a while to mix things up a little....but he's a khaki/polo man all the way.

I also mostly do this anyway. I know what's comfortable and what looks good and I tend to just stick with those things in my closet. My mom is giving a horrific time about this because she says I look frumpy and boring (thanks mom....) and I need to spice things up a little. Whatever.... When she starts buying my clothes, she can have a say!

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#12 of 21 Old 04-14-2005, 10:09 AM

Leah-
What kind of patterned skirts do you wear? I like long (ankle length), A-line patterned skirts and can't find them anywhere. I told my dh the other night I must be dreadfully out of style! I would make some but I never find prints I like enough for a whole skirt. Is this the kind you wear? Any urls for where I can buy a coupla new ones for summer?
#13 of 21 Old 04-14-2005, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillie
Leah-
What kind of patterned skirts do you wear? I like long (ankle length), A-line patterned skirts and can't find them anywhere. I told my dh the other night I must be dreadfully out of style! I would make some but I never find prints I like enough for a whole skirt. Is this the kind you wear? Any urls for where I can buy a coupla new ones for summer?
Im only 5'2 so its hard for me to find long skirts that look good on me. They are usually too long. I like knee length (or a little above) a-line, flary or pencil skirts. I seem to find them all over. INC and Parallel make a lot of the ones i have (from Macys) but Ive also found some at the Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Stein Mart, etc. Just about everywhere. I just make sure whenever I buy a skirt that I have a top that matches or can find one to buy or else I dont buy the skirt.

#14 of 21 Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 PM

I so want to do something similar. I have WAY too many clothes and I still feel like I have nothing to wear. I think the biggest problem is that I buy stuff from Goodwill, thrift, etc., and many times it doesn't match what I already have. Meanwhile, I get even more disorganized and the crap continues to pile up.

I think that you ladies might have just motivated me with your posts above to figure out a new system and stick to it though!
#15 of 21 Old 04-28-2005, 01:45 AM

Not me, I love clothes shopping and fashion too much.

My MIL has virtually the same outfit in 7 colours, one for each day of the week and is the subject of ridicule for it. It may make your life easier, but what if everyone is laughing at you behind your back?

I keep clothes clutter to a minimum and wardrobe space clear by regularly sorting, throwing, recycling stuff I'm not wearing. I'm ruthless, if I havent worn it for ages, out it goes. And I think very hard before buying anything in the first place.

I also think it doesnt always hold true that you're better to buy good quality classic pieces. There's room for fashion, just dont spend too much on a fashion item, then you can get rid of it when it's no longer fashionable. Nothing is classic and in style for ever.
#16 of 21 Old 04-28-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahNH
I do something like this. All my clothes are the same colors so they can all coordinate. I can mix and match so I don't have to own tons of different outfits. Instead I have just a few that all work together.

Single mom of 2 boys
#17 of 21 Old 04-28-2005, 05:56 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#18 of 21 Old 04-29-2005, 05:38 PM

I have tried this sort of thing but then I get bored... But I am just about ready to try again - I don't have time or energy to deal with clothing anymore. And changing things out for the seasons is a big production.

I don't wear blouses anymore (tho did while I was breastfeedling/pumping) because I hate to iron and I hate a wrinkly blouse. And if something has to be drycleaned, I will not buy it. I also don't wear skirts b/c (sorry if tmi) my thighs rub and it's very uncomfortable. These restrictions make the wardrobe much more manageable.

ITA about not spending a lot on clothes - it is so much easier later to part with the things that didn't cost much. I have a box downstairs with expensive high quality clothing that I don't wear anymore, but can't seem to get rid of...

I am also 5'2" and I find pants at J Jill that fit well and don't need to be hemmed. You might want to give them a look. Their sale prices are very good, and they seem to have sales often. They have stores, catalog and website.
#19 of 21 Old 04-29-2005, 08:14 PM

I jsut returned to the work force & I am glad I kept my work clothes from 10 years ago. Some of the peices that still fit or are classics I am using. I dont want to spend alot in case I decide to stay home again. So sometimes it would pay off to keep things.

I also tend to for casual clothes keep the same colors and styles, so I am probably going to keep doing that.

My shoe wardrobe was severly lackingthough. I did get some bargains on end of season suits- i bought 3 suits for a total of $45. & I had a 50 gift card from my bd.
#20 of 21 Old 04-30-2005, 12:22 AM

Well since ds was born and I have been sort of imprisoned (he hates the car...) I mostly wear my jammies Plus, I stress eat and have a hard time exercising right now : so I am fat.

However, once things settle down and I can get out more, this is a great idea! I could really see myself doing all jeans or khaki pants, with any kind of comfy cotton shirt. I am pretty much over the dress to impress part of my life. If it were to come back, I could always just go shopping. Thanks for the motivation to get rid of a bunch of pants!

(I knew I'd love this place...)
#21 of 21 Old 05-03-2005, 02:27 AM

This is one of the areas Im working on!!!! I have started by limiting the colors I wear. I am more "fall" colors, Khaki, olive. golds. navy etc. I shop at thrift stores almost exclusively and try to discipline myself into staying in that color family. Second, I confine myself to one closet, that i share with my Dh. I used to have three . My work clothes are now in the coat closet ( I wear scrubs). Third, I clean my closet out with every season, and I try to be ruthless :LOL . My stuff I donate to any thrift shop but Dh I take to our local gospel mission, as they deal with men mostly and need mens clothing for the homeless. Now, how about the shoes?

Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page