Give me strength! Time to declutter the bookcases!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-13-2005, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need strength, ladies! This isn't going to be easy but it needs to be done. Our books runneth over and I seriously doubt DH will give up more than 5 books off of 5 overflowing bookshelves.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-13-2005, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Trade in for credit at local used book store.

Give to a friend.

Donate to library or hospital.

Bookcross them. www.bookcrossing.com

Keep up your hard work and soon you'll have some space on those shelves.
#3 of 12 Old 04-14-2005, 10:37 AM

Share this w your dh. Since this forum is all about simplifying...
I had 4 tall bookcases, 5 shelves each filled, overfilled w books. I loved my books. I loved them so much that everytime I moved I carried boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of books. Then last September we determined to move into this much smaller house and to move immediately. I decided to give away 80% of my books. It was hard to do so at first, and I kept going through the shelves and pulling out a sorry few that I could bear to part with. And then I would get brave and pull out some more. And again. and repeat, etc. And gradually I realized I had already read them, many I would never read again, and that any book I wanted to read again I could get from the library. Does he know about interlibrary loan and that the library can get ANY book you want? So that is what I did: I learned to use the library; I realized that I was using books as some kind of status symbols and that that was silly; and I got rid of nearly all my books. Way more than 80% Probably 95%. I kept essential references and several really great parenting books, a couple of life changing titles that I was certain I would read many more times, and the few that were on the shelf that I hadn't finished. And then when I completed these, they were gone, too.
Tell your dh that this act was the most freeing thing I have ever done in my entire life. I was literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of pounds lighter afterward and I felt it! Pass them on!
Good luck.
#4 of 12 Old 04-14-2005, 10:45 AM

Fantastic post, Mamamillie! I have to go through my books soon and what you said makes so much sense, I think I might just have the strength to do it!

Good luck, thistle! I hope your DH cooperates with your plans! Keep us posted.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#5 of 12 Old 04-26-2005, 11:55 AM

So you who have decluttered your book collection (or are hoping to declutter), how many books (average) do you now own (or hope to own)??

Books are a hard one for us too. But about 4 months ago when we decided to move, I immediatly knew some books had to go! I did the same thing Mamamillie did. At first I got rid of a huge chunk. Then after about a week or glancing at my new (slightly slimmer) collection, I could spot a few more I could do without. And on and on each week, until now we are 2 months away from moving, and have about 50 books. I still think I can do better, but little by little. I've sold several here or on ebay (which was the only way I could justify getting rid of those super crunchy birthing books, etc - since we're done having babies). But now I'm having a terrible time with Spiritual Midwifery, because it was 15 cents at a YS, and even though I'm done having babies, I just love it. Same with DH and his stupid Boy Scout Handbook. He bought it at a YS just for sentimental reasons. Maybe it's okay to keep just a couple of those type of books. hmm...

another thought is that when I get rid of books, I first look on Ebay to see if they're valuable. One book on weed identification in the west, was $5 at a yardsale, and I sold it for over $30 on Ebay!!! That's one I would have kept if we weren't moving east, but still cool!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#6 of 12 Old 04-26-2005, 12:11 PM

That's impressive, Julie

I say keep the books that are so sentimental to you (especially if it is only a few).

My problem is, I am very attached to some of the picture books dd and first read together...I can't part with those! They remind me of such a sweet and happy time

I also love old picture books, the art is so interesting. Maybe I don't belong on this thread?? :LOL

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#7 of 12 Old 04-26-2005, 12:26 PM

We have kept around 2 of the each of the boys' favorite picture books. They both have little baby boxes full of remembrance stuff, and books are as important to us as the outfit they came home in or ultrasound pictures!
We have tended to save the books that they wanted to read so much that the book actually fell apart! (we do have Where the Wild things ARe in about 6 pieces in one of those boxes!)
My mom also kept LOTS of our childhood books and so did her mother. I have to say I'm quite appreciative. so if room allows it, I'd say there's nothing wrong with keeping super quality kid's books (even if it means keeping them in the attic or in Grandma's attic if you don't have room now!). I love for my kids to be able to go to Grandma's house and read with them the classics I read as a little girl. Just as I loved going to my grandma's and reading my mom's old books!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#8 of 12 Old 04-26-2005, 12:31 PM

*loves books waaaaaaay too much*

I've actually decluttered dvds, vhs tapes, knicknacks, candles and martial arts awards to make room for more books. *goes and hides behind Joan*
#9 of 12 Old 04-26-2005, 12:36 PM

A lot of things can go before books...like dh's clothes :LOL Don't touch my candles, tho

#10 of 12 Old 04-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Julie, that sounds great to have those books saved for you. No one saved mine, although we didn't purchase many books when I was a kid but went to the library regularly. Maybe that is why I love owning them now. I do regularly weed out my own books. Because we homeschool, I also have a habit of acquiring and keeping books 'just in case'

#11 of 12 Old 04-27-2005, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillie
Does he know about interlibrary loan and that the library can get ANY book you want?
Ummm, he knows about it. He actually WORKS in the Interlibrary Loan dept of the state library. :

I have to say that as wierd as it sounds, DH actually USES his books more than anyone else I know. He has gobs of military history stuff and uses it as references for his fiction writing. He uses his fiction collection as reference for his literary criticism. I'm sure there are some he could get rid of but I'm can't do it for him (at least not if I want to stay married).

That being said, I got rid of one copy paper box worth and will probably do another purge tonight since I am cranky and PMSing, so this is a good time for me to do it. I have too many hiking books and too many writing books. I'll report back later.
#12 of 12 Old 04-27-2005, 04:00 AM

we just moved and we purged a lot while unpacking this weekend. Now I just don't know what to do w/ them! I don't have a ton of time to sell them individually on ebay or amazon, but I don't want to just give them away for free! Some I will, but not all. But I dread the selling.... Ugh....

Good luck getting dh to part w/ his books, esp. when he uses them. If he can't part w/ any(many), then how about other areas of the house that he's a bit "pack rat"-ish? Maybe ask him to burge there instead?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page