Okay... We are moving in two weeks and I know it is too late now to start, I should have done this a long time ago. But I have made a decision... when we get moved, any box that doesn't get unpacked and put away, or isn't future baby gear, gets sent to the garage sale pile!!!!! My reasons for this-
1. When we decided to sell our house, we packed up a bunch of stuff we really didn't need at the time or were just storing and stored it in a trailer, and then honestly, we didn't touch it for 6 months! Like I said, there is some baby gear in there that we will keep, but as for the rest of it, it's gonna be gone!!
2. Went to a friend's house yesterday. Actually, they are remodeling his parent's home after they both have passed away and plan to move there. His parents were such pack rats, they have probably 80 years worth of stuff (read: junk) in that house, and when we saw it, they had already had an auction and sorted out a lot of stuff, but there was still a ton of stuff. I just can't do that to my kids!!
3. Then we went to these friend's current house- they have so many toys, clothes, books, playstations, junk, toys, tvs, junk, toys, toys, toys that I couldn't believe it! Then the mom tells me that she just can't get her daughter into reading. Hmmm... do you think it is all of the crap you bought her??? Why should she read, she has enough other junk to keep her occupied, she doesn't need to use her brain!!??!!
4. We were moving some of our storage boxes around today and I noticed that about 2-3 of them were marked "toys"- we had left a good handful of toys in the house, but I am 100% sure that DS didn't miss any of the toys in storage. Actually we left a lot of books out and he seems to prefer to look at books than play with a lot of toys. And now that it is nice out, he would much rather be outside exploring!
5. When I have been packing up some stuff lately, I have thrown a good amount of stuff out, or boxed it up for goodwill. My brand of clutter is "I might use it someday". Well, and I am now seeing that I just might not use it and why have it at my house!!!!!
6. We are likely going to buy a new house that is the same size or smaller than our current one. For a long time, I thought I needed to have a big house with lots of storage for all of my stuff!! Well, I still would like to have some nice closets but I promise, I will try not to pack them full!!!
Anyway, sorry to post such a lengthy one, but my point is...I am ready to declutter and simplify my life!!!!
I just needed to get that all out! I feel better! I have been checking out some of your suggested websites and books about this topic and I'm ready!