Where does your clutter go? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-16-2005, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've finally got the bug to declutter. Every year we have donated outgrown clothes, toys, etc. but we still have too much clutter.

I can go ahead and continue to donate to our local thrift stores, but was wondering what you guys do with the excess clutter.

Do you donate?

Do you garage sale?

Do you eBay it?

It seems that donating it is the fastest option (and probably the least work as well).

--Kari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-16-2005, 04:49 PM

If it's worth more than $35 or so, we'll probably think about ebaying it. However, DH and I have a pile of stuff to ebay none of which has been ebayed yet, so that's creating a clutter problem of it's own right now!

If it's something that's nice or useful -- especially if it's something that's hard to move like furniture -- we'll put it up on freecycle. We've been doing a lot more freecycling lately because the local group has been so generous to us with stuff for the new baby. So the ebay stuff that we don't bother to ebay will probably go to freecycle.

If it's a bunch of small things like books or toys or bags of clothes they usually go to the local thrift stores.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#3 of 13 Old 04-16-2005, 05:05 PM

Outgrown clothes, and things like books, videos are passed along to friends, library, charity. Sometimes I might drop some things off at the consignment store. Ebay only the really awesome high end stuff i find. I think of that as income, not clutter. I don't have much, however. Oh yes, I do freecycle things like the little tykes basketball hoop we were given and the plastic slide etc that have found there way to my house. When I clean out the garage in May, i am going to post that date on Freecycle and just let people come and take stuff. Outgrown trike etc.
#4 of 13 Old 04-16-2005, 07:56 PM

If I know something will sell and it's worth at least $5, I sell it on eBay. Of course, like someone else mentioned, now I have a couple Rubbermaid tubs full of stuff to sell on eBay = more clutter!

Books get listed on Half.com and stacked on a shelf in the basement.

Lots of bigger things (furniture, old computer, etc.) go on Craig's List or Freecycle.

Things that aren't worth much usually get donated to charity. Like you said, that's definitely the *easiest* option - but I like to make money on my extra stuff if I can! Freecycle is also a nice option because people are usually so grateful to get the stuff - it's a nice way to recycle stuff you don't need anymore!
#5 of 13 Old 04-16-2005, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Really nice clothes get consigned to make me a little pocket money. Other stuff gets passed to friends or cousins that need them.

Books pass to the used book store first to get me some credit on new reads. the stuff that they refuse goes to the thrift store.

Geegaws get re-gifted if really nice and still brand new looking. The rest goes to charity or whatever family member passes by. I say "have look here, see if you like anything"

Be brutal. Closets need room and horizontal surfaces are nice to see.
#6 of 13 Old 04-16-2005, 10:22 PM

While the money would be nice, my sanity is nicer, so I just donate it all.
#7 of 13 Old 04-17-2005, 02:18 PM

It depends- Like our church has a White Elephant sale in June. They start taking donations next month. They take everything so we do a cleanout then. We give all kinds of stuff to that. Last year 2 pickups full and a trunk full of whatever.
I have a charity that does pick ups come usually once a quarter (except spring then we do the church) and they take everything as well. It could be anywhere from two bags of clothes to boxes of stuff. I keep a corner going in the office with a bag or box for charity at all times. When it starts to get cluttered we make the call for a pickup and then add to it.

I feel we are in a constant state of decluttering. When something new comes into the house, we get rid of one just like it. When seasons change, we declutter then as well.
I had a ton of tupperware. I went thru it and realized it was good stuff so someone might want it. At the next playgroup- I put it out, it was gone within 5 minutes by 5 moms. I only kept the pieces we use all the time.
We did not like our yard table & chairs. We bought a new one last year and I sent out an email to my momsgroup saying we were giving the old set away- umbrella and all. One family came by and took the old set right away.

Believe it or not, this has actually caused us to save more money. I think since we realize we do not have room for things, we do not buy more stuff and we have no problem parting with anything now. I guess I feel if there was a fire, what would I take? Myself, DH and DD and thats it. Everything else can be replaced and is insured.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#8 of 13 Old 04-17-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
While the money would be nice, my sanity is nicer, so I just donate it all.
#9 of 13 Old 04-17-2005, 05:08 PM

I have listed a ton of stuff on freecycle lately. I have also donated things in the past to a women's shelter and a crisis pregnancy center. I had one yard sale last year and decided it wasn't worth the trouble to do it again. So, anything in really good shape that is worth more than $5-$10 I am going to list on ebay or Craig's List. Everything else is donated - offered to freecycle or to a charity.
#10 of 13 Old 04-18-2005, 02:22 PM

We donate practically everything. I'm going to use Freecycle for the things that Goodwill won't take like bowling balls...

Honestly, I don't like the time and energy it takes for me to list on ebay unless its well worth it money wise.

Since most of Mason's and the older kids clothes came from the thrift shop, I feel great sending them on their way for others to use and I'll just take the tax write off!

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

#11 of 13 Old 04-18-2005, 03:16 PM

For me, I cannot see the whole profit for ebay but my sil and a few friends sell junk on there all the time. I also do not do yard sales either sell or buy since I am not a "looker" but a "buyer". I would rather give stuff away or donate like I said.

But I have 2 friends who find the best stuff at these sales. More power to them but they look at a lot of sales to get them. I would rather just go buy what I want or point n click. But thats me ykwim?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#12 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 01:42 AM

I mostly freecyle or donate to the local thrift store. Otherwise it just piles up, like the garbage bag full of clothing *new with tags* that is supposed to be going to consignment. I keep holding onto it, but never get around to selling it. I'm starting to wonder what the point is! Though I guess one good point is I've stopped buying clothing I'm unlikely to ever wear.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#13 of 13 Old 04-23-2005, 02:14 AM

We don't have a car, and as such have no real way to transport stuff, so we freecycle it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page