My love of all things paper... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-27-2005, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved and while unpacking I'm being reminded of my one bad "pack-rat" area...PAPER!!! I keep every card that I'm given, every magazine, every little thing that's personal, and it's getting to be a big stack of stuff! Dh has a shoebox full of stuff, and I have several! I have two big shoeboxes of NOTES from high school that I just CAN'T part w/! Dh and I were "high school sweethearts" (although that's such a cheezy term!) so it's funny to go back and read them all. Like I ever do, though! And I just remembered that at my mom's, I have at least 2 more boxes of notes from middle school! What's the deal?!

The other two things that take up space are cards I've been given and magazines. I tried to go through the cards, but there are so many, and they all have a sweet note in them. I guess I like to be reminded that I was remembered at some point. I don't know!

And I try to only keep good mags, but that still means a big pile of Mothering, New Beginnings, Leaven, Family Fun....

Meanwhile, I'm staring at this HUGE stack of cd's of dh's that will be there for a few more weeks...!!!

I hate moving! I want to get rid of all this crap, but I have such emotion tied up in it. I just can't bear to toss out those notes or even many of the cards. It all adds up to one small moving box (or two!). Not a ton, but when you don't have a garage or attic to shove it in...

Just had to vent. Maybe someone here can relate! I try to psycho-analyze myself, but that's just pathetic. One semester of Abnormal Psych doesn't cut it! I have to give myself props for doing a HUGE purge before we moved of school-related paper. I got rid of two or three paper sacks FULL of schoolwork and kept one that's 1/3 full. I want to go back and see if any of it's worth keeping still. But that was a huge deal for me.

OK, gotta stop rambling and go to bed....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-29-2005, 12:38 AM

ok...another paper addict here.....
DH actually told me one time that if I didn't take care of my stacks of paper he would set them on fire :LOL
packrat extroirdinare!

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-29-2005, 05:55 PM

I definitely have these tendencies also - for example, I also I find it very hard to throw out my college and grad school papers and course packs. They cost me a lot of money and a lot of time. Somehow I'm not ready to get rid of them. And my 20 year college reunion is coming up :LOL ! :

And then there are the letters and cards - I did a big purge of them during my last big move and got rid of all that weren't from family members. I have the letters my mom wrote to my grandma when I was a baby all about what I was doing, etc. Can't throw that stuff out, but it's still several small boxes taking up space.

In your case EJ, I also would not be able to throw out the old "notes" if they are between you and your DH. How sweet is that?

I could go on - magazines, bills, paystubs, receipts, insurance records, you name it, I keep it.

And the odd thing is that when I finally get it together and throw a bunch of stuff out, invariably there ends up being something in there that I want/need within a month afterwards. How does that happen?
#4 of 4 Old 04-30-2005, 04:32 PM

I used to save that stuff - more from habit than need, though.

I finally have a system in place where anything paper that comes into the house either gets sorted and filed, read (and then recycled), or recycled immediately (in the case of junk mail).

I've limited the file space so that means I have to prioritize what can stay and be in our permanent storage. I used to think that I'd re-use magazine articles, etc. and realized after about 10 years that I just don't. Now I'll scan and digitally store some stuff but it's rare since I can usually find the info again online somewhere.

--Kari

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page