Advice on a few things to start with... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-30-2005, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want to simplify my life more. I have wanted to for awhile, but I was inspired by a short story I had to read for a class I have right now. One statement that really resonated with me was that the underprivileged “suffer for a lack of basic resources because of the hoarding, the feverish consumerism and the complete lack of concern by people who have more than they will ever possibly need (Loving Across the Boundry by Ann Filemyr).” I know that I could definitely do without more. So, my question is Where do I begin? What are a few small things that I could change? I figure if I just begin changing little by little it will be easier to accomplish and not seem so impossible. I also read about a Tibetan family somewhere that did not have a garbage can- they had no need for one, I know I could do better than how I'm doing now.
#2 of 2 Old 04-30-2005, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I would think a good start would be a commitment to not buy anymore stuff. Only buy food and things that will be consumed and call a halt to new "stuff" coming in. Then try to start making more space in your home by donating. Just place a big box by your front door, try to fill it ASAP and take it to a shelter or goodwill box or wherever. I wouldn't neccessarily try to start in one place, but make the first go through for obvious, easy to part with items. Look under your kitchen cabinets....why do you have 2 toasters (or whatever), toss one, just go all throught the house and part with whatever you can. Once you drop off that box, start another one. Everytime you go through and look at your "stuff," you will find it easier to get rid of things. Donate anything you are not using, anything that is not functional (like doo dads that serve no purpose other than clutter), anything that would serve others better than it is serving you, anything you can do without. Women's shelters will take nearly full bottles of bathroom products you tried but that are now cluttering your cabinet...
This is what I have done, I got our stuff down to the minimum we need (well, I can do more and continue to donate things regularly). Then I told myself that if I buy something I need to get rid of something else. I know if I bring home 2 new skirts, I will have to donate two old skirts, or at least two clothing items. This ensures that once you declutter, you will not just be amassing a new clutter problem.
I felt much freer and like I said in another thread, the *space* in my home translated to more peace and space in my*Self.* I prefer to collect experiences than things and find I cannot fathom the connection some people have w their stuff! Good Luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page