drying space in house, when building.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 05-01-2005, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister and bil built a house years ago with the focus on making that house as ecologically green as possible.

When planning to build a house you may want to look at the possibility of putting a cupelo (a room in the top of the house that has full windows).

They carry their laundry up there in the summer and the hot sun dries their clothes. In the winter, the wood stove heat moves to the cupelo and dries the clothes.

On most days, the clothing dries in less than 2 hours.

When I build my house, I plan to make good use of solar gain. I don't know if I want to have to lug clothing upstairs, but we make choices based on saving the environment, and saving money, and that may be the reason for lugging the clothing up there.

In the climate that we live in, you can leave your clothes on the line as long as your are nearby. Otherwise the clothes get soaked on the line. We have lots of rain showers. Drying inside (as long as the house doesn't have a moisture problem) is one way to avoid getting clothes wet, and having to re-wash and waste resources.

I still have the image in my mind of my mother rushing out the back door, hollering at us kids to help her get the clothes off the line.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page