Moving from 2200 SQ FT to 800SQ FT Need moving help!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-01-2005, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK we're moving to Utah from AZ in about 3 months. I currently live in a 4 bed 3 bath house with a living and family room, craft room, dining room, and garage. We are moving into family housing at BYU, which at is smallest will be 800sq ft or if we get lucky 900sq ft. Tiny! Everytime I think of what to take and what to get rid of I just can't seem to get rid of things. Everything seems like a nessicity or something I want. How do I get rid of half the stuff in my house and get ready to move? Dose anyone have any ideas? Moving tips? This packrat need help! TIA
#2 of 21 Old 05-02-2005, 12:08 PM

YOu will definitely have to pare down--sorry, I know it's hard! If you sell off some of your furniture, you can save moving costs, and after you relocate you can get new furnishings that do "double-duty" like a coffee table with storage, or a loft bed with desk underneath. IKEA is great for things like that, and you can get a lot of ideas by flipping through their catalog--even better, visit one of their stores.

Storage will be a huge issue in a small space, so plan well in advance. If your storage boxes/containers are pretty and/or coordinated, then they will be decorative also and the place will feel less cluttered. If you're on a budget, you can use contact paper and decorate plain cardboard or shoeboxes.

You can do a lot with shelving, e.g. you can even have sturdy shelves up high near the ceiling to store away things/appliances/boxes that are not used frequently. All you need is a step ladder in the closet!

HTH!
#3 of 21 Old 05-02-2005, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Those are great suggestions, Thanks. I think we are going to sell most everything, maybe keep my dining table, matresses and a heirloom desk. I wonder, do they have an Ikea in Utah... HMMM
#4 of 21 Old 05-02-2005, 01:09 PM

What about renting a small storage unit for a few months. They are pretty cheap. You can put stuff in there that you *think* you need, but aren't ready to sell, and then when you realize better what you do need, and what you don't, it will be easier to sell.

We had to put most of our stuff in storage for a while, and it really helped us to realize what we really DID need as opposed to the stuff that could have stayed in storage forever and we never would have missed.

Just a though...
#5 of 21 Old 05-03-2005, 09:15 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Same situation here - moving from huge house to an apartment. The furniture stuff I can figure out, but I am having a harder time with the "stuff" - seldom used bulky kitchen appliances, a huge linen closet full of spare towels, sheets, etc. I have the hardest time parting with books - even if I know I'll never read them again. My home wouldn't feel right without bookcases on every wall, and I know I won't have room for that...sigh...

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#6 of 21 Old 05-05-2005, 10:29 AM

Release your stuff! If you don't use it, don't REALLY need it, or don't love it, bless it and send it away. If you do donate something that you truly need, it will be replaced. You can do it. I downsized last year and got rid of more than 50% of our "stuff" (including books, btw, check out the thread about decluttering bookcases. Do you really want to move boxes and boxes of books?)
I just really know that our stuff clutters more than our physical space; releasing it is highly cathartic for the soul. Be ruthless and brave and you will feel so free after you get rid of at least half of your stuff...I promise. It makes room for new good things (not necessarily stuff) to come into your life.
Good luck!
#7 of 21 Old 05-05-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillie
Release your stuff! If you don't use it, don't REALLY need it, or don't love it, bless it and send it away. If you do donate something that you truly need, it will be replaced. You can do it. I downsized last year and got rid of more than 50% of our "stuff" (including books, btw, check out the thread about decluttering bookcases. Do you really want to move boxes and boxes of books?)
I just really know that our stuff clutters more than our physical space; releasing it is highly cathartic for the soul. Be ruthless and brave and you will feel so free after you get rid of at least half of your stuff...I promise. It makes room for new good things (not necessarily stuff) to come into your life.
Good luck!
I agree with all of this! I feel the same way about decluttering your physical space will declutter your emotional spaces.
#8 of 21 Old 05-10-2005, 02:12 PM

We recently moved from a 3 br 2 car garage house (1500sf + gar) to a 1 br. (800 sf) condo and it is doable! I went through all of our things and pared everything down. My piano and a few large peices of furniture I couldn't give up are at my mother in laws for storage. As far as the small space, I'd have to say shelving is the most useful thing. I converted the walk-in master closet into a play room for dd and plan on painting a scenery mural in there to make it feel bigger. I put up shelving in the master br over our dresser and I'm going to have a friend put doors around it so it looks like a closet. I put up a large shelf in the bathroom about eye level that has a basket with towels on it and other supplies in nice baskets. You really have to maximize vertical space and I think being organized and minimalist is what makes the difference in making a small space work. DH & I both had a lot of bad habits we didn't even realize from our larger house - leaving things laying around. In a small space habits like that can make it feel clostrophobic! Doing things like cleaning up the dishes right after supper and keeping up with the laundry really helps - not having things like that piling up really makes a big difference. I also found a nice computer armoire that I could put in the living area that closes up so it doesn't make the room feel office-y. Our tv is up in a built-in shelf with all the components.

I turned the coat closet into a pantry since it was right next to the kitchen and storage was really lacking. I added shelving in all closet space and consolidated till it hurt! Right now I'm going to take some of my left-over decorations to good will that I don't have a use for - hard to part with - I made some of them - kwim?

Sort through your clothes and hopefully you can store things somewhere that you don't want to give up. Keeping clutter to a minimum helps the sanity factor a lot! I rotate out toys (keep extras under the bed) so that they're not always under foot and overwhelming the house.

hth!

edited to add - look at your furniture - if your desks are on legs and don't have any storage drawers or anything - they're a waste of space you probably desperately need - and go for a nice dresser in a space you might normally have a sofa table.

edited again :LOL I also had a hard time giving up stuff - I did a yard sale. I discovered that after I boxed stuff up to move - when unpacking - I hadn't missed a lot of the things that had been in the boxes. I didn't need to bring nearly as much stuff as I thought. There are a lot of things that I thought I'd use all the time but the habits were easy to change. **Needing** things is really very arbitrary when you get down to it. A lot of things we look at as necessities are things our grandparents didn't even have as options. The purging process can be painful, but simplifying is very freeing. I've had to pare down again and again to make this livable, but I don't miss the stuff at all after it's gone!
#9 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 PM

When we moved from a 3 bedroom + garage house into a 2 bedroom apartment, I used Flylady very strictly. It really got us pared down. Her moving hints are great, too.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#10 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 08:15 PM

I wouldnt do it becaue IMO its too depressing living in too small of a space. Small is/can be nice but squeezed small is miserable.

We moved from 1,200 to 500. There where at that time dh and I and 2 girls. We where miserable and depressed living in that tiny house. We only absolute musts for every day life. We lived there for 14 months before moving to a 1,000 sq home.

We didnt even move to that house because of $$ issues we did it so we could live in the country. We then bought our own place in the country.

Our house is still tiny we do have a large storage shed that we need to clean out. We also need to organize our little home.

We are now a family of 5.

Enough of my

Back to helpful tips for the OP :LOL
#11 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much all for the great tips! My Dh and I decided we are getting rid of everything! We're keeping beds, a dresser(the rooms are so small we figured handging things would be better) and maybe our dining room table. Of course clothing and necisities too, but we are selling everything that isn't a nessicity. I think we'll feel a lot better clutter free, it will be easier to move, cheaper to move, and buy selling off all our stuff we'll save $ renting a smaller Uhaul. Plus we're saving $ by being able to get a smaller place. If figure once I get there I can buy a couch at the thrift store and any other needs we may have sold. Besides, once DH is a doctor we'll have the $ to get all new furniture anyhow
#12 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 08:50 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"The purging process can be painful, but simplifying is very freeing."

Aside: on my 16th birthday, my house burnt down. When friends and family offered sympathy, my brother and I looked puzzled. We found it freeing - to be rid of all the "stuff". 3rd grade report cards, souvenirs of long past vacations... I have never become too attached to stuff since then. Interestingly, my brother became a firefighter.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#13 of 21 Old 05-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Its amazing how little we truly need. In Jan our family moved from our 2000sqft home, to a 860 sqft apt. Its cramped, but it costs far less, takes less time to clean, and the family is always together! :LOL
I think you are making a good choice to get rid of as much stuff as you can, besides, almost anything can be replaced if you decided you really need it. Good luck on your move
#14 of 21 Old 05-12-2005, 10:35 PM

I'm so glad that I found this thread!

Dh and I have a 2500 sq ft house in a part of town that we hate. We put a FSBO sign in the yard just for kicks. Well, low and behold, a couple offered us full price! So, we're looking at getting a 1400sq ft condo in the city (that's all we can afford there, and that's all I want anyway). He's been stressing about how we'd do it! I've been thinking, I'll be free of all of this junk! The more I think about it the more I want to do it. The happiest I've been was when we were younger and poorer and had less stuff and lived in apts. I feel so tied to all of this material crap.
#15 of 21 Old 05-16-2005, 10:12 PM

I'm not moving any time soon and we are in the process of adopting our second child, yeah!! We live in a house about 1,800sq ft without garage, attic or basement and there is barely room for us...I've been getting rid of things lately and plan to get rid of as much as possible. I have definitely been feeling the weight of all of our stuff for the last few years and find it depressing to be here all the time, i'm a stay-at-home mom and I can't take it anymore....my husband and i have hobbies, his being drums (major space drain) and mine being art stuff...and our stuff is ruling the house, does anyone else have the problem of hobby stuff cramping you in your house? good luck getting rid of your stuff when you move to BYU, you will feel free...I always feel escstatic after I get rid of stuff!!
#16 of 21 Old 05-25-2005, 06:22 PM

I believe Ikea would ship to you.
We've got a loft bed with a desk, wardrobe and shelves under it it worked great when we had a tiny condo and my daughter slept in the solarium.

Now we are in the same position, my daughter is staying with her dad during the week, so its just the two boys (new hubby's) at our house, we have a 2200 square foot 4 bedroom townhouse now. But since I don't have a job to go back to in December when my mat leave pay runs out..

We are big hoarders, and I've finally begun to try to sell off my collections of stuff - I sew so I've got tonnes of fabric, notions, sari's etc. Just taking up space. There are over 11 rooms in this house and we only live in two of them. Our last place was open concept, now I find all this space is just storing crap my kids nor I use.

I also have always wanted to live outside the country for a year or two, its not going to happen with the amount of stuff we have now.

So I have started organizing and selling.
Anyone know of any good online garage sales to post stuff to?

My goal is to have 1/5 of the stuff by the time I go back to work, as really I only wear my favorite clothes etc.

Alison

:LOL :LOL
my son wanted to see those

8 might be enough
#17 of 21 Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 PM

Shiloh mentioned this...I'm interested too, does anyone know about this...is ebay easier?
#18 of 21 Old 05-28-2005, 10:24 PM

I had some great success on ebay for weird things, but others none.
And it costs a lot to sell little things.

I've set up sorta my own, but won't post my link here as if you are here you need less stuff not more of mine!

I have had some success selling on my forums/groups financially its been great, but not enough is moving!

Alison

8 might be enough
#19 of 21 Old 05-28-2005, 10:26 PM

oops.

so far I've used craigslist.com
-both posting and going through the wanted section.

Ebay, and diaperpin, yahoo - diaperswap.

One day I'll have enough posts to get onto the one here!

Alison

8 might be enough
#20 of 21 Old 06-06-2005, 01:16 AM

Our first home was a little over 800 square feet and it's small but really isn't as bad as it sounds. It was so easy to clean! It took an hour to make the whole house sparkly. Also, we could always find things because there weren't as many places for things to hide. Our current home is 1400 square feet and it takes all day to clean up.

So don't fret about moving to a small space. There really are some great benefits to it. Good luck in your move!

hang.gif  

#21 of 21 Old 06-06-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmama
A lot of things we look at as necessities are things our grandparents didn't even have as options. The purging process can be painful, but simplifying is very freeing. I've had to pare down again and again to make this livable, but I don't miss the stuff at all after it's gone!

Thank you SO much for the inspiration!!!

I'm going through the I-know-I-need-to-get-rid-of-this-but-it-HURTS-wah-wah-I'm-so-overwhelmed-I-can't-decide stage right now.

I'm reading all of Don Aslett's books for inspiration, too. His perspectives are awesome!

Also, I'm finding that my spiritual beliefs are very relevant in this area. I never had applied them to simplifying, before, but I really like thinking of my tangible space as clear and available for the non-material goodies in my life, instead of stuffed with numbing and distracting stuff.

Sorry to get OT a little.

BTW, I have a family of four living in an 800 sf. house, too. My dc are 10 and almost 5, too, so no babies, here. My little one's 'room' is an area of the (tiny) living/family room that is marked off by wood playstands. He sleeps with me and dh, still. We've also been veeeeeery creative with the vertical space. I love those hanging baskets you can hang from the ceiling!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page