MDC FlyLady Group~ Home Organizing 1 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 10-30-2002, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to say that FLYing through party planning is SO much nicer! I did my normal cleaning for today, finished some food prep, hit a hot spot or two, pur away some laundry and now all I have to do it put the food out before guests arrive, change my clothes and tidy up dd's bedroom. And it's still 3 hours before the party starts!
#32 of 53 Old 10-30-2002, 03:28 PM

Okay, my wings have been dusty since June. Dh was home all summer and the routines went all to heck. I'm ready to fly again with y'all!
#33 of 53 Old 10-30-2002, 08:52 PM

Party went great
#34 of 53 Old 10-31-2002, 12:00 AM

well today was pretty good for clearing clutter. there's been a large box in our guest room closet for almost 3 years now, full of I didn't know what, because we had never unpacked it when we moved in!
tonight i got sean to bring it out and we went through it together and threw out a lot of junk, found some clothes to wash for him, and found tons of pictures of our recently deceased canine daughter. it was wonderful to see her as a baby again!
i also cleaned out our filing cabinet and tossed a ton of paperwork we no longer needed as well as the broken filing box!
i'm having fun and feeling productive at the same time.
we also dismantled the bedrail and the playpen/changing table/bassinet thing and stored them in their respective cases. it's a little easier to move around now in our room.
when we get paid this week, we are getting some storage for all of shoshanna's clothes. this girl has more clothes than a babies r us store!
i'm glad y'all turned me onto this flylady stuff.
#35 of 53 Old 10-31-2002, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

ARG, I'm so exhausted rom all this party prep, as I'm sure Khris can relate too. But I have to say, not a dirty dish in the sink, or on the counter. Still no shoes on though, lol.

Anyway, Khris, I'm so glad the party went wonderful. I probably won't be on much tomarrow as I will bew running all over town picking up the birthday cake and cooking all the food. See you all Friday for sure. Not guarentees about a clean sink Friday Morning, lol.
#36 of 53 Old 10-31-2002, 12:25 PM

Ok I'm not flying as well as you guys are. I'm bumping along the ground. LOL My living room has toys and papers etc all over and I got a little filing thing for them because it is mainly info stuff I"m picking up in our new town my problem is that I don't feel like bending to pick it up. And no my sink is not shiney my kitchen is still horrendous after our move. I need an easier feel good start, unless I can find a dish bin I suppose.

Happy Halloween
#37 of 53 Old 10-31-2002, 01:50 PM

good for you, khris!

geogirl: you sound like I'll probably sound next week. we're moving tomorrow and I know it will be pretty messy, but I want to start FLYing in the beginning so maybe I'll have some hope!

I think all of y'all are inspiring. The last time I went to bed w/a clean sink, I woke up w/dishes all around the living room. What's a girl to do?
#38 of 53 Old 10-31-2002, 05:07 PM

I'm thinking of ordering one and I'd like to hear if others use one.

Is anyone doing any of the holiday missions?

We're in the living room this week. My surfaces are clear, but I have a hot spot smoldering in the corner of my livingroom/dining room. The stuff there needs to go down to the trunk of the car--it's "fling" stuff and ready to bless someone else's life.

Tonight I'm going to set my timer for 15 minutes and wipe down the window sills and ledges in the living room. I want to wash the windows and wash, iron and starch the curtains (simple cotton--easy) but I don't want to make a big all-day chore or project out of it.

I'd love to hear what home or holiday projects everyone is working on (in 15 minute increments of course)

all the best,
Victoria
#1 eddd 12/04/02
#39 of 53 Old 11-01-2002, 11:12 AM

Ok OK OK

I had to get going today because we have story time at the library. WEll I'm in my jammies but I'm about to hop in the bath. Mackenzie is watching a video while I get ready, one day I'll get up before him... really. LOL

Now I just want my living room to look slightly presentable. I want to pick up toys, hopefully with Mackenzie's help (he is 2.5) and sweep. I'm going to try really hard not to think about what else needs to be done. Wish me luck.

If I can get the living room looking slightly ok maybe I'll go get some flowers or something.

First story time, here I come- off to hopefully meet some other mamas!

Rebecca
#40 of 53 Old 11-01-2002, 12:24 PM

I'm definately not doing the holiday misions- they scare me LOL But most of them just don't apply to us anyway.
#41 of 53 Old 11-01-2002, 12:25 PM

ok, last night's living room window washing went well. I didn't set a timer, because I thought it would take longer than 15 minutes, but it didn't, it really didn't. Here's what I did:

I got a nice heavy terry cleaning rag, a bottle of windex and the step ladder, and moved the stereo equip/tv. etc. from in front of the windows.

first I spritzed and sprayed the woodwork and sills and cleaned those

then I wiped the window casings down---this was only as far as I was plannig to go, I didn't think I'd have time to actually wash the glass.

next I turned the rag over (so the dirt I just cleaned wouldn't get spread to the window glass) and washed the inside glass for the each of the three window.

I then cleaned up my supplies, moved the furniture back in front of the window and I was done.

I know this is boring, "who cares?" right? But bear with me.
Here are my minor revelations while doing this 15 minute window wash

1. I asked myself why I didn't set the timer, and I realized it's because if I do, I'm committed to staying on task. When I don't set a timer, I can get off base really easily and end up dusting the tv when what I really wanted to do was move it to clean the windows. When we set 15 min. limits we really have to focus on what we want to accomplish to get it done.

2. I originally intended only to wash the sills, woodwork and casings because I thought doing the glass (both inside and out) would take lots of hot water, rags, etc. and at least an hour. The outsides of my windows still need to be cleaned, but they look so much better (because the streaks that were bugging me were actually on the inside--who knew) after washing only one side! And I just used a single rag and basic window cleaner!

This morning I cleaned out my 'purse' (canvas bag really) as soon as I got the reminder--I did my wallet too! It's so tidy and organized now, I feel great!

all the best to you fellow flutterers,
Victoria
#1 edd 12/04/02
#42 of 53 Old 11-01-2002, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, did you guys have a posting party while I was gone???

The party was a blast, but I'm exhausted. And yes, I have a messy house with food and plates and stuff all over the kitchen and dining room table. The rest of the house is clean though.

Regarding the flylady calendar, no I don't use it.

regarding the holiday missions, at this point I'm not doing them. But I could change my mind. I unsubscribed to the emails (too many of them) so I don't even know what they are. Guess I could check the website.

I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year for my family, so the missions would probably be a good idea.

too tired, I'll be back later.
#43 of 53 Old 11-01-2002, 03:25 PM

Hi everyone
I have just read all of your posts and I feel motivated. I haven't had a shiny sink since having my son (I actually don't know if I have ever had a totally dish-free sink). Most days I do get dressed, but I am tired of living in a state of total chaos. I looked at flylady's website and almost joined. I think I will just try the first steps (clean sink, clothing out, declutter a bit) and then try and fly. One of the hardest things for me will be to put out clothing - as my dh always says, I am into 'intermediate clothing' - I love lounging around after my bath...
It is so motivating to see how you are all doing

Emma
#44 of 53 Old 11-01-2002, 04:36 PM

Emma, that is a great strategy. Starting with the "beginning" or "baby" steps will keep it manageable. I know at the beginning I signed up for everything and quickly became overwhelmed. Then stopped the baby steps so I could do other things like zone cleaning and 27 fling boogies....I had to start from square one again, and I'm glad I did.

all the best,
Victoria
#45 of 53 Old 11-01-2002, 08:00 PM

Thank you for starting this thread!!!!

I am so glad to see this discussion HERE and it really isnpires me...I'll tell you why. In the past I held back from flylady. Part not loving myself enough...but also there were books recommended at the flylady site that I cannot hang with, recommending a restrained attitude toward nursing (What to Expect books have BAD breastfeeding advice!) or super religious pro spanking book
(Dobson I believe is author? I THINK he is prospanking someone can correct me if I'm wrong...or better yet spend the time answering me on loving yourself and cleaning your house. I DO get into parenting websites to excess to distract myself from housework, anyone else??:

But seeing all these Mothering mamas here makes me feel, this stuff can work for dedicated AP-ish mamas too! I CAN surrender to flylady and know others here do it WITHOUT ignoring their kids' needs.

This week I've started really doing hot spot work. I set the timer and clean up the living room and or kitchen a bit before I go somewhere and have a happy clean surprise when I get home.

I am doing SUPER baby steps...have for months...my bathroom has seen a lot of improvement, kitchen not so good. (No dishwasher is my mental block...or maybe not loving myself enough!!)

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#46 of 53 Old 11-01-2002, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Emma!!!

Momtwice, wow I loved your post. I think your doing great. I never really noticed the parenting books she has listed. Since you are on the site for home organizing into, I too, would choose to ignore the parenting info there. And no you don't need to ignore your kids to fly. The beauty that I have noticed is that it combines getting organized with staying organized. So it's actually less work. I have forever tried to get my family to put stuff back when they take it out. That is what causes the majority of mess here. Last year when I first tried flying I had a little list. They agreed to put stuff back and do a 15 minute fling everyday. They are getting better, as I am. I never totally quit, but severly slacked off.

Baby steps makes it so much easier.
#47 of 53 Old 11-02-2002, 06:41 PM

Okay I joined.

Heartmama

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#48 of 53 Old 11-02-2002, 09:14 PM

Last night I sat down and talked to my husband about the chaos we are living in.... We have promised each other that we are going to start waking up to a shiny sink!

Last night I went to bed with ds at 8:30 pm - the sink was full of dishes... I woke up at 7:00 and dh had cleaned the dishes and left the sink spotless!!! I love him.

Ds has a cold and is miserable and so we have spent the entire day trying to amuse him. The house is a disaster, but he isn't crying AND I had a clean sink for awhile this morning!

Emma
#49 of 53 Old 11-02-2002, 09:43 PM

I love the flylady!!!!!!!!!
#50 of 53 Old 11-03-2002, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

ok, I have been slacking off this weekend. No clean sink beofre bed the last couple nights.

I was thinking of starting a weekly thread for our flylady group. What do you guys think. I can post what zone we are in each week in the opening post?
#51 of 53 Old 11-03-2002, 07:24 PM

I love that idea. I have a huge problem with weekends as well. The big problem si that my hubby is around and he doesn't clean up after himself at all (I don't expect him to do all the chores I do, but trash in the can and dishes in the sink would be nice) so I have 10 times the mess. And YES I DO KNOW WHAT THE FLYLADY SAYS ABOUT HUSBANDS!!!!! LOL
#52 of 53 Old 11-03-2002, 09:52 PM

Love the weekly idea. It would be great if, each week, you posted the link to the next week's thread at the bottom of the current week.

Anyway, I told DH today that I was going to do 15 minutes in the kitchen and I needed him to be in charge of Meg. So he asked me what I was going to do (which was declutter) and then suggested that we BOTH do 15 minutes of jobs that really needed doing while Meg played on the kitchen floor. So I cleaned out the toaster oven while he scrubbed the stove!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#53 of 53 Old 11-03-2002, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Megs Mom, what an awesome dh you have!!

Ladies, duh I forgot that we have been on Zone 1 Friday and Saturday. No biggie for me as we cleaned that area anyway.
I'm starting a new thread for Monday November 4th.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page