MDC FlyLady Group~ Home Organizing 1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2002, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies, I could use to get my house a bit more organized and getting cleaning on a schedule. Anyone want to try flylady with me?? I've tried before but flunked out, lol.

Here is the flying lessons page
http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons.asp

here is the daily checklist
http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingL..._Checklist.asp

We are in Zone 5 the living room from the 27th-31st.

Luckily I did a bunch of living room yesterday getting ready for dd's 13th birday party in the 31st.

So any takers??????? I SO need to have a sparkly sink every morning :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2002, 01:03 PM

I'm on the Flylady list, but I modify it a LOT LOL. I don't do the sink shine thing, making the bed does the same for me so I do that instead. I have my rooutines pretty much down, but the missions, spending 15 minutes in my zone, the flings, room rescues, fire preventions, etc that I need to work on. The house is definately a lot cleaner consistency than it's ever been, though. SO I guess what I am saying is- I'm game
Old 10-28-2002, 03:40 AM

Count me in! I belonged for a while, but the emails did get to be a bit much. I actually haven't totally lost what I had gained but I need some work. Plus I love the flings, I swear I get high off decluttering and getting rid of things.

Jerri
Old 10-28-2002, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi khris and Jerri !!!

It's Monday Morning and I'm on the computor and I'm not dressed yet either. Well pj's, lol.

Anyway, My goal for today (first official day back with flylady) is to go to bed with a clean sink. I will do 15 minutes in my zone too.

Have a great day!!
Old 10-28-2002, 02:00 PM

Ok, my sink is clean and I have nothing on the steps waiting to get carried up and put away. I'm just waiting for the basement time, than you're all gonna hear some serious whinning!

Jerri
Old 10-28-2002, 02:46 PM

Ok! Hi Everyone I'm Rebecca and I think I'll be joining you guys. I have read the flylady stuff but never really got into it. I'd really like to get a control journal done at some point. Right now things are completely out of control. We just moved here and there are boxes etc and everyday I have big plans and don't get it done. In fact I plan and do NOTHING. It is like my motivation is sucked away when I look at the enormity of the tasks at hand. So I think that 15 at a time might help.

Where do I start? No my sink is not shiney (it is full of the dishes that are unpacked and the kitchen is full of boxes!).

Good luck ladies

Rebecca
Old 10-28-2002, 02:54 PM

I am big into flylady but I would sure love to talk about her with other mdc mamas.

I do keep my sink shiny, get dressed to shoes, and lay out my clothes at night. I have been working on my morning routine. The thing is, it takes me ALL DAY to do my morning routine, in between feeding DD, playing with DD, taking the dog out, etc. So I was thinking about starting on an afternoon routine but I'm not sure how I'd do that when I'm usually finishing my morning routine (on a good day) as my DH walks through the door at 8:15 pm home from work!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 10-28-2002, 04:19 PM

Now I can actually READ the flylady's e-mails instead of deleting them!! I should have known the support would have to come from MDC ... okay, I'm off to (finally) get dressed to the *socks* and I'll work on the living room today! Let's go mommies, let's go!! <cheerleader icon here!>

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 10-28-2002, 05:47 PM

I should say, I get dressed to slippers until after Meg's morning nap b/c otherwise my shoes are only on for like an hour before I lie down with her...

Also, I didn't really like the flywashing, I just like getting the routine emails, the essays, and the testimonials. (Not the reminders). So I set the group that sends out all the reminders to nomail and now I only get the ones I want.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 10-28-2002, 05:58 PM

Count me in too.... Been gradually trying to integrate more of Flylady's routines into my days. I've been a "Flybaby" for a few months now. House definitely looks much better---sporadic and imperfect as I am with her ideas. The improvement is inspiring me to put more of her ideas into practice. This week I'm going to add some more steps to my AM and PM routines to try to make life even saner. I really can do anything for 15 minutes.

My biggest obstacle has been the Flings. I'm not yet fully ready to let go of my clutter. I keep tucking it away. So maybe I'll try a 10 item fling...

Sharon the Flutterer
Old 10-28-2002, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

yeah yeah, we have a nice little group forming :-)

Welcome to hahamommy, still forest, megs mom and geo girl.

About getting dressed to your shows. I have to say I RARELY wear shoes. I slip on my Birkies to go outside and sometimes wear slippers in the house when it's cold. So I too have had that problem. At this point if I get out my pjs before noon I'm doing good, lol. And it's 12 O clock and I've done a load of laundry, gotten dressed to my shoes (because I left the house) and went shopping to buy myself some winter clothes. I came home with 2 pair of pants, 2 tops and a sweater. Shoes are now off, lol. But my make up is still on, lol.

Megs Mom, sounds like you are doing great. I never lay my clothes out the night before. Never. Choosing what to wear is not the hard for me (all my stuff is color coordinated). But I think your doing awesome for someone taking care of a little one.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:28 PM

I changed my signature quote today, but as I did I was thinking about how it applies specifically to this part of my/our life
“Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.” --Dale Carnegie

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 10-28-2002, 09:46 PM

I crashed and burned today LOL I didn't even get done what I normally do, and since we're having a party Wednesday I was hoping to get extras done. DS woke up with a big itchy rash on his thighs this morning, so off we went to the doctors as soon as we got the stuff from the grocery store. The beds didn't get made, the laundry is stilll out, I didn't do my daily chore, oh well. I'm going to try and catch up this evening.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:35 PM

I'm game! Dh has actually asked for me to "just clean-up the living room" in the past. My response: I'm not a "housewife", I'm a "stay-home mom". Biiiiiig difference! *heh* But, honestly, the clutter annoys the heck out of me!

And, we're (hopefully) moving this week. I REALLY need to get on the ball!

So, I signed up. Now what? Just wait on the e-mails? (Geez,not only am I not good at keeping a clean house, I'm not good at figuring out the group that will HELP me keep a clean house):
Old 10-29-2002, 12:03 AM

Chaka, your FlyLady welcome letter will tell you what's next!

Old 10-29-2002, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

HahaMommy~ Love your new sig quote!!

Khris~I hope DS feels better. Don't worry about the rest, it will be there when you are able, unfortunately, lol.

Chaka~ Welcome!!!! Baby Steps are the key.

The house is divided up into 5 Zones, right now we are in zone 5 the living room. Try starting with 15 minutes of decluttering in the living room a day. The emails can get overwhelming, I unsubscribed because it amounted to about 30 emails a day I think. It was a year ago so I don't remember exactly.

I cheated today, we went out for dinner, so my clean sink (did it earlier) doesn't have to be done again before bed. Well as long as I crack the whip and don't allow anyone to put anything in it. LOLOLOL
Old 10-29-2002, 01:28 AM

-------
Old 10-29-2002, 02:25 AM

Arduinna,
Don't I know it! It's all sitting around me waiting. He's fine- just his eczema acting up, he ate something he shouldn't have and I wasn't thinking about it. :
Old 10-29-2002, 02:34 AM

OK, I'm game, too.

but it'll have to wait until after Halloween, so I will check back and subscribe to flylady then...

can you say PROCRASTINATOR?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:50 AM

---------------
Old 10-29-2002, 03:03 PM

MamaOui, that's the great thing about Flylady- either it's a 27 fling boogie, a 5 minute room rescue, spending 15 minutes in your zone, or putting out a hot spot. You don't HAVE to do it all at once- baby steps!
Old 10-29-2002, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

How are you all doing today???

I got dressed to my Birkies, lol, and went shopping for cleaning supplys this morning. I did some cleaning in the master bathroom (my least favorite job) and started dinner in the crock pot. Did a load of laundry but still have told/hang up yesterdays clean clothes. So I think I am doing pretty good. Having to post here and talking to you all has given me more motivation.

I am going to bed tonight with a clean sink!!
Old 10-29-2002, 11:20 PM

We're doing pretty gopod today as well. I folded and put away 2 loads of laundry, cleaned both bathrooms, got some of the food ready for the party tomorrow, got half the house dusted, and most of the dishes are in the dishwasher already. I should go take advantage of the fact that the kids are playing together and finnish up some things before taking my night off.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:35 AM

OK today...put out my desk hot spot, cooked dinner, second-rinsed the diaper load, picked up/decluttered the living room for 15 minutes.

Old 10-30-2002, 01:48 AM

Um, I'll start next week if y'all don't mind.

Geez, those e-mails!

We're moving on Friday, so I'll just wait to see how it goes. It's informative and inspiring. I told dh I've got to get a big sinkpan for dirty dishes. He thinks I'm losing it.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:58 AM

------------
Old 10-30-2002, 12:34 PM

I'm at the puter in my pajamas and house shoes.......ssssshhhhh Don't tell the Flylady on me! Actually I am up early and as soon as I get done I'm making my bed, taking a shower, dressing to my shoes, putting the dishes away, putting the laundry away and finishing cleaning for the party.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

LOL Khris, you and me too. I'm at computor in pj's and no shoes, lololol. Hey, I never said I was perfect. My sink is clean though.

I'll check back later.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:55 PM

I've been flying on and off for over a year and the impact has been amazing!

My favorite concepts:
  • No whining! This is hard at first but pays big dividends, DH actually flys now too without realizing it
  • Progress not Perfection: Flylady does not need or want us to be perfect--she encourages us to take what we like and leave the rest and start with baby steps
  • DELETE DELETE DELETE -- Remember if you're getting stressed about the e-mails, delete at will, there will be more tomorrow and you won't miss anything--it always comes around again.
  • You are never 'behind', just start today with where you are.

What I've learned about this program so far and some of my thoughts on it:

I've made all kinds of changes/concessions to this program but I have to say that starting small with the simple things (like shiny sink, shoes, etc) really does lead to bigger changes. This program is totally about what you make it, there are no MUSTS and no SHOULDS there are a lot of great suggestions and advice though.

If you're stuck and you find there is a particular activity or suggestion you're strongly resisting you may want to "surrender" to it for awhile, do it as suggested and see if you get results. Sometimes I see posts from women who get all up in arms about the shoes or the shiney sink or something else, and they haven't even tried it. They're already invested in creating a huge argument about why that won't work for them. I made up my mind in the beginning to try things first as recommended and modify only after giving them a fair trial. This way I'm free to follow a trail that's already been laid down--I don' have to bushwack my own--and no, I don't always have my shoes on in the house, but I'm more effective when I do. In the beginning I never showered/dressed etc. before getting on the computer but now I do---this seems to be really effective too!

I'm so glad to see this post, flying has really freed me from the tyrrany of housework...I have a completely different home environment and attitude, and boy, do I like it better than what I had before.

One more thing, this program is not about living to do housework, it's about making housework take up as little of your precious time and energy as possible while freeing you for more creative, fulfilling, satisfying things. And you'll end up with a warm, comfortable, clean, peaceful environment in which to do them--we all deserve this!

all the best,
Victoria
#1 edd 12/04/02 (when we'll really see how FLYING works)!
Old 10-30-2002, 01:18 PM

alright, i'm tentatively joining in! i haven't signed up or anything, but i've been to the site and started implementing things.
cleaned the sink lats night and kept it that way this morning. woke up, took a shower and got dressed and had shoes on for a while, have one load of laundry in the washer and another waitng to go in, dishwasher running, kitchen floor wiped down (yuck).
clutter is a b%^&* in this house, so am going to try 27 fling boogie today.

User Tag List