Need help organizing arts and crafts supplies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2005, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now I have all of our coloring books, paper, crayons, markers, stickers, glue, playdoh ect ect in a large tote. But that makes finding things such a pain! I need some kind of organizational set-up where things arent all in one bin. But I also need to be able to keep it in a closet so that the little ones dont have access to it without permission.

Any ideas? What have you done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 04:30 PM

We have several white storage boxes from Ikea. They each have a metal holder for a label. We have one for construction paper, markers, crayons, glue, etc. They come in lots of different colors and sizes and are quite inexpensive. We have an art storage cabinet so that the boys can't get to them. Works well.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:52 PM

What we did for DS was to have a bookscase and stack plastic shoeboxes on it. (He had/has a LOT of "making stuff" - that's what he called his craft supplies)

Each category of supply had its own plastic shoe box. Paints in one box, crayons in another, markers in another, etc. The paper actually had to go in a larger plastic box - I think a small sweater box.

The boxes were clear so he could see what was stored inside them and the location of the bookcase allowed him to easily access the supplies by himself. He was 4 when we started the system so we wanted something he could get to by himself.

We originally kept the bookcase in our dining room near the table. We were in a small apartment at the time and the dining room table was used for everything!

These days the supplies are up in his bedroom on bookshelves on his walls.

--Kari
Old 05-14-2005, 12:34 PM

I use clear plastic shoeboxes and sweaterboxes. All kinds of papers (and also a couple of coloring books and paint w water books) are stacked in a sweater box, and I have another one for all the playdough and tools. Then there is a shoebox for paints and brushes; one for markers and pencils and pastels; one w fabric scraps, glue, gluesticks, scissors, glitter, small beads and buttons, string, yarn, etc. Also I have a bucket that is kept under the art table where I stick old magazines, interesting junkmail, some newspapers, etc for cutting up.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:38 AM

I have our stuff in different sized rubbermaid type containers. All are marked with words and pictures of what is inside. I have the containers stored in our "liquer cupboards" :LOL in the butler's pantry (sounds much fancier than it is). Anyway, I have the outside of the cupboards labeled with what is inside the cupboards. Makes finding things much easier!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

User Tag List