A tip from Rachel Ray - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-11-2005, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rachel Ray (from the Food Network) was on Oprah a few days ago, and she does recipes that only take 30 minutes. A way to stay at your counter, and not always running to the trash, is to keep a big bowl on the counter. This bowl is the "garbage bowl," and you fill it up on your counter, cutting down time that it takes to run to the trash every few seconds with a peel or something else.

Who would've thought? Not me! But, I thought it was a good tip to share.

Anyone else have other simplifying ideas for cutting down on cooking/prep time?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#2 of 19 Old 05-11-2005, 10:01 AM

I got that tip from Rachael Ray and I do that all the time when I'm cooking. It does save a lot of trips to the trash can. But she also puts her cans in it. I hope she fishes them out and recycles them later!!
#3 of 19 Old 05-11-2005, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I hope so too.

I just put my cans and tinfoil in there, then when I was ready for the trash they could just be put in the sink and rinsed out like usual anyway.

#4 of 19 Old 05-11-2005, 07:48 PM

I've done that for years! It drives dh nuts, though! LOL My big tip is to set aside and hour or two a week after you do your grocery shopping. I wash and chop everything I can. Then I freeze or refrigerate the stuff. It makes it so much easier when you are cooking.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#5 of 19 Old 05-11-2005, 09:29 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Similar concept: I keep a bowl on the counter for compost-type stuff, and just move the trash can next to me, rather than moving me to the trash.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#6 of 19 Old 05-11-2005, 09:44 PM

Yeah we watch Rachael Ray too (30 Minute Meals) You should check out her books.

I keep a garbage bowl on the counter as we cook also...

I really wish she'd tell us how to get our own helpers to prepare everything when we got home from the store...so all we had to do is grab the things that we needed...so it would TRULY only take 30 minutes.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#7 of 19 Old 05-11-2005, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsmom
I'm putting it on my library list. I never even thought about her books. I also don't get to watch her on the Food Network because we only get basic cable. My mom watches her though.

#8 of 19 Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 PM

I use a collander in the sink as my garbage bowl so extra liquid can drain thru.
#9 of 19 Old 05-17-2005, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
I use a collander in the sink as my garbage bowl so extra liquid can drain thru.
That's an even better idea. Thank you!

#10 of 19 Old 05-17-2005, 09:46 AM

I love the Rachel Ray shows. I use that tip quite a bit, although I normally have a bag rather than a bowl to keep from washing an extra bowl.
Amanda
#11 of 19 Old 05-17-2005, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove
That's an even better idea. Thank you!
you're welcome

you know... I've been thinking a lot about composting and how I should take the stuff in that "garbage" bowl and put it in a compost pile. It really should be called a "compost" bowl.
#12 of 19 Old 05-17-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsmom

I keep a garbage bowl on the counter as we cook also...

I really wish she'd tell us how to get our own helpers to prepare everything when we got home from the store...so all we had to do is grab the things that we needed...so it would TRULY only take 30 minutes.
DH got me "30 minute get real meals" her latest cookbook, for Mother's Day - because I love RR so much! But you're totally right, she chops the stuff up ahead of time, so the 30 minutes doesn't include rinsing veggies, and most of the stuff is pre-chopped also, so in reality it would take longer. I definitely noticed that. Plus, she never has to look for anything, because she opens the pantry and, Whatdoya'know, the beef broth and flour are right up front, and the parsley is on top of everything in the fridge, no need to look for it.

Single mom of 2 boys
#13 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
you know... I've been thinking a lot about composting and how I should take the stuff in that "garbage" bowl and put it in a compost pile. It really should be called a "compost" bowl.
If you're not 100% sure you'll be taking it out to the compost pile right away, you might want to get a compost crock, or at least a container with a lid. I used to have a roommate who did the "bowl" thing, and she'd leave it on the counter for days at a time. It was very.....umm....educational. (We could do our own experiments in fruit fly genetics.) :LOL
#14 of 19 Old 06-07-2005, 02:01 PM

My only cooking tip is: get one day outta the week to prepare meals. I take Sunday's as my one day a week and I pre-make my Monday night dinner and put it in the fridge and then I prepare everything else that I am able to for the rest of the week. On Tuesday we had a roast...so on Sunday I pre-cut the veggies...just helps cut back on time for dinner.
#15 of 19 Old 10-03-2005, 01:10 AM

Since reading this thread back in May, I've been doing the bowl thing. It works great! It's especially good if you compost, like I do, since the bowl is super easy to empty into the compost pile.

[For cans and jars, I keep the recycling bins in the kitchen under the island, but it would be easy to have a paper bag or basket to put them in while cooking.]
#16 of 19 Old 10-03-2005, 04:49 PM

I was doing the bowl thing (Rachael Ray is the best!!!) until one day DH was watching me cook and asked "why in the world don't you just drag the garbage can over by the counter so you don't have a big bowl in the way and getting dirty?"

Uhhh...because I hadn't thought of it? I drag the garbage can over next to the counter now...it's right there so I don't have to waste steps, but I'm not cluttering up my counter or getting a bowl dirty.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#17 of 19 Old 10-03-2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie
I was doing the bowl thing (Rachael Ray is the best!!!) until one day DH was watching me cook and asked "why in the world don't you just drag the garbage can over by the counter so you don't have a big bowl in the way and getting dirty?"

Uhhh...because I hadn't thought of it? I drag the garbage can over next to the counter now...it's right there so I don't have to waste steps, but I'm not cluttering up my counter or getting a bowl dirty.
This is what I did as a personal chef. I put the cutting board right on the counter's edge, and just swept the detritus into the can.
#18 of 19 Old 11-16-2005, 12:20 PM

I use the garbage bowl idea all the time. works for me!
#19 of 19 Old 11-16-2005, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i use whatever dirty bowl or plate is lying around so i don't have to wash extra i used to love watching rachael ray when i had cable, even wehn i was totally vegan I could watch her cook anything she has such a nice rapport with the viewers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page