Another playroom question.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-16-2005, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So after reading another thread about playrooms I have a few questions. We have an awesome area for a playroom. Out basement is mostly finished so we have a room about 16'x20' to work with. It has 2 supporting poles in the middle but is otherwise open. It is also where we have our computer and a couch so DH and I can enjoy the almost 10 degree temp difference in the summer! I have a reading area, a felt board on the wall, a train table, a playmat for cars, a dress up area with a huge mirror and an indoor trampoline that's about 3'x3'. The problem is that the room gets trashed in minutes I just don't know how to organize everything. I'd love to add a fort-like area but don't know how or where. I'm at a loss. Can anyone help me? I can post pictures if it would help. This room gets used so much on icky days (like today) that I really want it to be a place that DD and DS (and the DD on the way) to play and enjoy themselves.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-16-2005, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you have containers for all the toys in the different areas?

I'm thinking a bookshelf in the reading area (and maybe a sofa or a pile of cushions to sit on while reading.)

A bin for the trains next to the train table, or a drawer of the train table.

A large box for the dress up clothes (one of those huge plastic bins with a secure lid is a good choice.

A bin for the cars next to the playmat.

You don't need anything next to the trampoline- except maybe something to keep the other toys away from it!

Some kind of container next to the felt board for the felt pieces.

I can't really brainstorm ideas on where to put the play fort without actually seeing the room, but near the dress up stuff might make sense- keep all the "creative play" stuff together. You know, dress up as a knight and defend the fort from the dragon (the other sibling), use the fort as a "house" for playing house, etc.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#3 of 5 Old 05-17-2005, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

I've pretty much got all that excpet maybe the container for the felt stuff. Maybe we just have too much stuff? I've already gone through everything so many times. Once I think I got rid of almost 50% of the toys - what a difference that made!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#4 of 5 Old 05-19-2005, 12:50 AM

We have a similar setup as you and have bins, tubs, shelves etc and have recently done a significant toy purge and we still have a similar problem. I think on our end its because my youngest (18 months) loves to empty anything...containers, tubs, drawers - you name it. Once its empty she moves on to another room.

However after the toy purge there is much less of a mess after my daughter 'decorates' than there was before.
#5 of 5 Old 05-19-2005, 02:05 PM

I think you have a good thing going if the room gets trashed- that means they are having fun!

But sometimes it can get a bit crazy as I know. I recommend bins bins & more bins. Also do a toy rotation every few weeks or so. Make things disapear for a few days then bring back. Also move the layout around a few times and see what works best.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page