Systems for organizing clothes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-16-2005, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am desperate for a good way to store the clothes my kids have outgrow/will be growing into. I am throwing away stuff in bad shape, giving away stuff I never really liked, but there is still SOOO much. Anyone have any inspired ideas?? I need to hang on to stuff for myself and my sister, so getting rid if all of it is not an option....

~C~
#2 of 4 Old 05-16-2005, 05:07 PM

A friend suggested the following for storing baby clothes you want to keep for the next baby: pack them in diaper boxes of the size your child is wearing when he/she outgrows them. So the size 1 or 2 box will have the little baby clothes, etc. This worked pretty well for us. I also have a ton of hand-me-downs for my daughter to grow into. For awhile I sorted them into bins by size (6-12 mos., 12-24 mos., 2T up). Now that she is growing more slowly and is about to move into toddler sizes, I just have 2 bins- one for larger warm-weather clothing and one for larger cool-weather clothing. Good luck
#3 of 4 Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 PM

I have most of my stuff seperated by gender/size/season. If something could be gender neutral then it goes in the gender neutral/hodge podge bin. They are in clear rubbermaids and labeled on the ends with their contents. HTH.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2005, 11:01 PM

I buy those big rubbermaid boxes at Target when they go on sale for $4 each. They're clear, I think "sterilite" or something?

I separate by gender and size, and in the box I try to put piles of like things together (onesies, pajamas, pants, shirts, etc.). I keep all shoes separate, all winter and outerwear items separate, and all cloth diapering stuff separate.

I stack them so that the youngest sizes are on the bottom of the pile of boxes, then I can just add a box to the top. I don't label the outside because when I take it down for the next kid, I take out the next size and put in the old size as needed until it's full and completely replaced by the outgrown size (make sense?). I stick a tag with the size so it's visible through the side of the box.

HTH! also makes for easy moving as the tops click on, and I put a sachet or a dryer sheet in to keep things fresher.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page