baby room help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-16-2005, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I'm trying to decide what to do with my daughter's room.
She is one--so I have to make everything baby proof.
Do I create different zones in her room? i.e. --stuffies, blocks, books
or do I just get a toy box and shove it all in?
I want it to be baby friendly but also to look organized.
I'm at a lost where to start.
Any ideas/advice would be soooooo appreciated.
girl:
#2 of 5 Old 05-27-2005, 06:55 AM

You might want to look into the Montessori approach to setting up the child's environment. Young children have a natural love for order, but, if they're given too many choices, they can get overwhelmed and just start dumping and flinging stuff around. So, for a one-year-old, you'd keep most of the toys out of reach in a closet or cupboard, and just have something like this:

- A low shelf with just a few toys, each one in its own basket.
- A toddler-sized table and chair.
- A small shelf with a few front-facing board books.
- A basket with a few stuffed animals.
- If the room is big enough, you could also have a larger ride-on or push toy.

Before bed, and at other "transitional points" during the day, you'd make a ritual out of tidying everything up. At some point, the child will begin to imitate you. Of course, they'll usually put stuff in the wrong bins at first....but it's a start!

According to the Montessori philosophy, this type of environment will encourage your child's innate organizational abilities to blossom, so she won't have to spend her adult life hanging out in a forum like this one.
#3 of 5 Old 05-29-2005, 11:55 AM

I'm an organizational FREAK! And I still love this forum!! Just to meet like-minded people

DO NOT have a toybox. Toys will NOT get played with. Everything needs to be easily accessible, and look appealing and organized to your child. Shelves are by far the best option. We do baskets for different items (vehicles, blocks, lacing beads, etc.) and then books have their own shelf (not front facing like PP said, but we have an older child, too, so we need more books in one space).

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryCeleste
According to the Montessori philosophy, this type of environment will encourage your child's innate organizational abilities to blossom, so she won't have to spend her adult life hanging out in a forum like this one.

ROTFLMAO!
:LOL

Thanks for the tips -we are just starting to make DD's room her own as well.

Tamara
#5 of 5 Old 06-07-2005, 01:32 PM

I love organizing my house...it makes it easier to access and looks better I think My dd's room has a toy tub, shelving, plastic drawers and several cubbies. I organize her room the way I want it at the beginning of each week and she has control over it the rest of the week. She loves to help put the blocks in her plastic drawer that is red and she loves placing her books on the shelves and her baby dolls in her blue plastic drawer. It's fun for the both of us and makes her learn the concept of helping and staying tidy. I also recently purchased a wicker laundry basket from walmart for $3 and that is where I put her megablocks...since the plastic bag they come in freaks me out around my daughter. My daughter is 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page