Organization: salvaged items for shelves, storage, etc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2005, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for ideas on how to make visually appealing shelving and other kinds of creative storage for free or for very very very very cheap. like even those over the door clothing hangers tend to be too much $$ for me. but i need stuff like that. we dont have real closets in our house, and we dont have enough space to add a dresser, so we have all these clothes laying around with no home. i need verticle storage, and would like to use the wall space ( especially high up) and doors as much as possible. we declutter pretty often and get rid of unwanted clothing as much as possible, but it is literally a matter of not enough space here . i mean, we technically have enough space for a dresser, but our room is crammed already and so is DS's ...i am looking for other options. just wanted to see if any of you have some genius solutions! oh and not just for clothes, but for books and toys too. the clothes are just the biggest problem lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 07:06 PM

hmmm

If you could get your hands on some old kitchen cabinets that you could mount to the wall that could be great for clothes and/or toys.

if you sew there is a pattern for those shoe holders you hang in your closet. I can't remember what they're called. There might be a way to adapt them for over the door storage or maybe hang a closet rod across the room?

Depending on the door you might be able to attach some hooks and then either hang clothes or tote bags (easy to make if you sew) for toys.
Or maybe make some pockets with clear vinyl that you attach to the door or even the wall.

My dh put up a lot of shelves on metal brackets when we were desperate for storage (small house) but the wood can be a bit pricey.

I recycled three old nightstands into a shelving unit for my kitchen. I painted it all one color and modified it a bit. Someday i'll be able to get really nice matching baskets to put on the shelves
Old 05-19-2005, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

ohh i really like the kitchen cabinet idea. i wonder if i could find some smallish ones...painting them would be fun.

i was thinking something like a shoe holder might be cool for ds's room for toys or books. i have one hangning on the wall already, just the kind that is on a hanger, and i put small toys and some art stuff in there. i have lots of fabric hanging around ...

those are some great ideas. thanks!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:43 AM

What about putting dowels (1"-1 1/2" diameter) about 1' long onto a long 2"x1" plank of wood at least 3-4' long. Drill holes in the plank and place the dowels about 1 1/2' apart , so that you can hand multiple shirts or pants on the dowels. Hang this on the wall.

You could also make a frame to hang clothes on with metal plumbing piping. Most places will cut it to the size you want and thread the ends, so you can screw the parts together.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:43 PM

For a large "closet" you could put up a bar across the end or side of a room, then enclose the space with a long curtain rod and curtain. That makes lots of storage space, and it could be cheap if you find a curtain at a resale shop.

User Tag List