May Declutter Challenge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2005, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone want to join me on a declutter Challenge for the rest of May?

Between now and May 31st - sell, give away, or throw away (if unusable) 200 separate items (not including pieces of paper - magazines count though). And list your items on this thread so you can see your progress!

I think a lot of us - me included - just need the motivation to get rid of all the extra stuff clogging up our houses and lives. Maybe this will help!

Who's with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'll start:

On the front porch waiting for Value Village to pick them up - 2 stuffed animals, a flower pot salt and pepper set :LOL and 5 children's books.

In a bag waiting to be picked up later today from a freecycler: 3 battery operated plastic annoying toys, a plastic toy train, a children's music cassette, a CD, 11 children's books/magazines, and 5 music books.

My total for this post: 30 items
Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Good thread idea.

I'll be : until I can come up with some things to list.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 05-18-2005, 11:45 AM

Oh, me too! Me too! I just went through a bunch of books and magazines (some hsing ones and some organic-type ones-- I like to think of these out in the mainstream) and donated them to my library. I went through too -small kid clothes and sent a bunch to a friend.

I also helped my ***very** preggy sister clean out her closets and we hauled a bunch of stuff to Goodwill. it wasn't even my house, but it felt great! LOL This week she wants to do the drawers.

I am going to tackle my own playroom closet. That's where i put all the stuff i don't know what to do with. It's pretty bad. I have 20 yrs of Mothering Mags and about 10 yrs of Compleat Mother in there i cannot seem to part with. But I've got to get them out....I really do.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:46 PM

i'm w/ ya! Does returning borrowed stuff count? Here I go!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2x
i'm w/ ya! Does returning borrowed stuff count? Here I go!

Yes! Anything to get the junk out!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:08 PM

My first list:

Vase, 2 bags/purses, pair of jeans, a Christmas decoration that was still up, fuzzy dice, 16 books, 15 VHS tapes, and 8 cds. I will bring them to the Airman's Attic (Air Force Base donation center) tomorrow morning. That's 45 things. I guess I'm off to a good start. 200 is going to be hard to hit. :LOL

Old 05-18-2005, 06:54 PM

Can I count the 35 items I already donated at the beginning of the month??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 05-18-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
Can I count the 35 items I already donated at the beginning of the month??

Sure - why not?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:41 AM

Great idea and I'm on board. I'll start keeping track and update my post as needed.

5/19 - Did another toy purge (different room) and boxed up a bunch of toys for charity. I didn't count the actual pieces but if I had to guess there are 75 or so toys of various sizes in the rather large box. It will be going to a charity organization this weekend.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:01 PM

I went through things again today, and I have a feeling I'll be doing a little at a time as I get time.

So my list today: recycled an old vase that was nasty, will donate scarf, 2 hats, gloves, jacket, 4 shirts, 7 magazines, and 3 pair of shoes.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I took a huge bag of old Ladybugs and other children's mags to the pediatric center today.

I donated some books I no longer needed to a charity thrift shop.

That's all for now, but I'm eyeing another pile soon.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:01 PM

Count me in! This week I've gotten rid of: a banged-up stroller, a utensil holder, a cd rack and 6 magazines. So far that's 9 things. I've still got a long way to go.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

All the following have been or are being freecycled:

1 pair curtains, 10 gift bags, 2 dresses, 1 shirt, 1 sweater, a trinket box, and 15 sand/water toys (we have way too many!)

Also, a bag of stuff (I'll guess 10 items) to the crisis pregnancy center.

And 4 puzzles and a shape sorter are going to be donated to our church nursery.

And 8 Star Trek mugs and a bowl/spoon set I just sold on ebay. (I won't count the 56 cassette tapes of my DH's I sold - unless I can't make it to 200 by the end of the month :LOL )

So, that's 55 items for this post which brings me to a total of 85 items so far.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:16 AM

Oh..me me me....

Three huge boxes of clothes...I will guess about a hundred different pieces. I have a list, DH wants to start claiming this stuff!!

Ok..I need another 100...

~C~
Old 05-21-2005, 11:47 AM

ok- 10 magazines from that last few months

We do not save piles of magazines anymore.

forget what I am at now

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 05-22-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I can only add 3 things - some really old maps that I recycled. I better get going to get to 200 by the 31st. I'm not at 88.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:25 PM

Great thread... I have a lot of things to pass on and a thrift store down the road.. So far I've gotten rid of one sweater, one sweatshirt, 2 tshirts, 1 book, 3 pants, 1pair of shoes,1 dress and 2 shirts for a total of...12.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:15 PM

oh I'm sure Ive already given away 200 things this month. I put the back seat of my van down and packed it FULL, and the front seat as well and took it to a charity thrift shop. This was after giving a few items to my Mom and allowing my best friend to "shop" through it. It felt sooooo good to get that stuff out of here.
I can't remember everything but I'll list what I can think of off the top of my head...

a decorative table, framed art print, dozen books, 2 bags of clothing, hamper, a purse full of jewelry, toys, candles, picture frames, throw pillows, a fry-daddy (we NEVER fry food and DH insisted on this and we used it twice in 4 years), casette tapes, ect ect.
I also consigned a bunch of DD's out-grown clothing and maternity clothes.

I'm really a minimalist and we wouldnt have nearly so much stuff if it werent for way too many christmas gifts from our Moms, and the stuff that DH brings into the house.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Oooh, I'm joining. Only thing is we are saving most for a yard sale so it will be bagged and stored in our garage for awhile.

3 kitchen bags of plastic and noisy battery toys - that's probably about 60 right there.

4 lawn bags of hand-me-down kids' clothes - prolly to goodwill

Okay, that is prolly 200 right there, but who's counting?

Today it is rainy and cold so I am going to go nuts with decluttering. Just walking around with trash bags in hand.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 05-23-2005, 02:32 PM

THANKS for the challenge

I really needed it. I went through the house today, and now there are 5 big bags of junk waiting in the car.

I collected 71 items to throw or give away today.

Here's the list:
13 magazines
4 books
1 candle holder
1 flower pot
1 map
2 pictures
1 picture frame
2 bags
13 games (with missing pieces etc )
11 couloring books (used)
14 pair of shoes
2 sweaters
4 jackets
1 pair of trousers
1 scarf

I am shocked at how easy it was, and everything was stuff we will NEVER miss!
Old 05-23-2005, 04:24 PM

I did the bathroom. Two huge free gift bags full of makeup I never wear (I used to work for Clinique). 5 empty free gift bags. A kitchen bag of trash (superfluous hair products, free samples, etc.) I felt sort of weird throwing away all these half-used products, but it is not as though anyone else would want them, and saving them "just in case" is what makes our house a mess.

I did my nightstand, too - it was all gifts from my bachelorette party, so you can imagine - dirty dice, sexy spinners, edible foam, all that crap that was never touched.

I didn't count but if I did, the makeup would probably put me close to 500 pieces. What should I do with it? I threw away all the gross stuff like the mascara, but there is a ton of eyeshadow/blush that is practically untouched. Do you think anyone would want that?

Old 05-23-2005, 09:30 PM

Ooo! I wish I counted today, I bagged up two giant bags. I'll do some more tomorrow and count. This is a cool idea!

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 05-24-2005, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'm really slowing down but I can add 2 more things - a travel brochure and I listed something else on ebay. So my total is now 90. 110 left to go.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:02 PM

I just found this yesterday and announced the challenge to dh. He's all for it - the poor man has to put up with me, the ultimate packrat. In my defense, I am a teacher without a permanent classroom yet, so all my teaching materials and supplies have to be stored in our little 2 bedroom apartment. So much for the walk-in closet!

Our list so far:

- side table
- 5 books
- set of computer speakers
- pair of sunglasses
- 19 pieces of makeup

So, we're at 27 so far. Now I'm off to purge my closet!
Old 05-25-2005, 04:48 PM

I just went through all 6 of my big bookshelves. I found a website that will buy back books, though it mostly only wants college text-y kind of books. Which was cool b/c I still have all my snooty anthropology books collecting dust. You just put the isbn in and it tells you how much it will give you. Then it pays you half the media mail shipping rate plus a 3% paypal bonus. Now I just have to take them to the post office. Yay! $140 for me for 30 mins work!

I am taking my nonfiction books to a fancy resale store and my fiction to a used scifi store. The rest - what to do? Yard sale? Give them away - to who?

I am so ashamed of myself for ever amassing this many books. I never used to return school books and rarely used the library b/c I liked to build an impressive collection to show guests how smart I was. : Never doing this again. It is too much crap to move and dust.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:29 PM

Oh I'll join! Had I noticed this sooner I would have counted!

So far this month I've sent two 14 gallon trash bags stuffed with clothing as well as 1 large (toilet paper case sized) box full of children's toys to a second hand store. I'd say I have at least gotten rid of 100 items. From now on I'll keep count.

( I did not even know this forum exsisted!)

Edited:

I threw a handful of items away out of the bathroom and gave away:
18 cookbooks
8 Books
16 movies

:
Old 05-26-2005, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea
I am taking my nonfiction books to a fancy resale store and my fiction to a used scifi store. The rest - what to do? Yard sale? Give them away - to who?
I have decided I don't have time to do a yard sale anytime soon so I am freecycling most of the things that I can't sell on ebay or on Craig's List. www.freecycle.org is the list. There is probably a group for your area. Then there's always Goodwill, or The Salvation Army, etc.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:21 AM

I did this stuff before I noticed this thread, so I don't have an accurate count, but this week I donated four huge bags to goodwill (one was just toys and stuffed animals of dd's, the other 3 were housewares and our clothes) and I am giving away most of my library of magazines at this week's Stitch and Bitch.

It's such a good feeling!

flowersforyou.gif

Old 05-28-2005, 07:05 PM

I would love to join in! I went through my bedroom yesterday and ended up with 3 large garbage bags of stuff! I did not count but I would estimate about 50 things (magazines, clothing pieces, etc) in each bag. One was trash, two went to Goodwill. So I am at 150! And tonight/tomorrow I am hitting up dd's room. She has toys spilling out of her toy box. I can't wait to get that cleared up and also to purge her winter clothes to go to storage for the next kiddo.

Its going to be hard for me to part with some of her things though. She has a set of care bear stuffed animals that I collected before she was born when they made their come back, as a part of the 'theme' of her room. I think I will attempt ebay with those. Maybe getting some $$ for them will make up for parting with them. We live in an apt so a garage/yard sale isn't possible. So everything is either trashed or donated if in decent condition.

It just feels so GOOD to declutter though! I am so inspired by this forum. And the look of a nice, neat home

User Tag List