Caroline Ingalls (Little house on the prairie)fans? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 06-25-2005, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I named my firstborn Laura (but she goes by Lynx now ) and if I have another girl, she'll be Caroline. You tell me if I'm obsessed!

When I was younger, I thought Caroline was too strict, and had "issues" and worries that Charles did not. Now that I'm a mama with my own worry "issues" , I understand how scary life often was for Caroline and how brave she was!

It was a bitter disapointment to me when DD (see above) was "bored" by the books.

If I had a time machine..... Do you think I'd still be at this computer?

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#32 of 56 Old 06-26-2005, 04:02 AM

Holy Mack! This is the best thread I've read in awhile!
I loved the Little House books when I was little! I had no idea about the newer ones, but I will be getting them asap. I really didn't watch the show much, but I still have my books. In fact, I re-read the series while I was preggers and needed some feel-good reading!
and I too, dressed up as Laura when I was younger, I even occassionally had my mom put my hair into Nelly Olson curls! What a little nerd I was : !
#33 of 56 Old 06-30-2005, 12:19 AM

I love those books! My mom used to read them to me when I was little.

When it's snowing here in Colorado, I love to pull "The Long Winter" off the shelves and read it, pretending I'm back in those times and we're really, truly snowed in.
#34 of 56 Old 06-30-2005, 09:05 AM

that's it I am going to the library to reread the books.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#35 of 56 Old 09-12-2005, 01:50 PM

I am so exited!!! Lil House is on every night now at 8pm (east) on TVland and at 5am too.....hoorah!!!
#36 of 56 Old 09-12-2005, 05:03 PM

i loved these books! did anyone else get the musical memories of laura ingalls' book and tape too? really cool. there is also another book available, i don't remember the name but it has lots of pictures of laura and her family along with many of the houses and places they lived and some of their belongings. some of them are replicas of course, but it's really neat to put together an image to the description of ma's stuff. my favorite story is i think when they were on the prairies and pa talk took laura and mary to look for the indian beads and when they came back little grace was born!! amazing

i do respect caroline and all pioneer women for the tremendous amount of work and hardship they endured. caroline always seemed to be positive and rarely complained.

mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#37 of 56 Old 09-12-2005, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we rencently hung out on thier homestead land in Desmet. The house there was the biggest house that ma and pa ever lived in. Not much house keeping to be done. She also had very helpful chidlren which is, well, helpful.

wanna see pictures? (that didn't work)

if that doesn't work my xanga site has pictures http://www.xanga.com/teenybopperwithin

it was so fun. we saw the actual surveyors house where it stood when they found it, several replica buildings, the real cotton woods pa planted for the girls. if you are ever in South Dakota I highly recommend the LI Homestead. It kicks the butt of mt rushmore.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#38 of 56 Old 09-12-2005, 08:33 PM

mandib50........WOW where can I get those items......I have a collection of 3 sets of the books, the little brown notebooks, McGuffy series, Calendar, etc etc.
Would love to know where I could get the musical memories and other items you mentioned. Is it readily available online, IE Amazon or Booksmilion.
Thanks
#39 of 56 Old 09-12-2005, 08:43 PM

Lilyka---thanks so much for sharing---you get EVERYTHING!!!!
#40 of 56 Old 09-12-2005, 09:12 PM

http://www.liwms.com/giftshop.html they had every book written by or about Laura Ingalls wilder.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#41 of 56 Old 09-13-2005, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTheThinks.....
mandib50........WOW where can I get those items......I have a collection of 3 sets of the books, the little brown notebooks, McGuffy series, Calendar, etc etc.
Would love to know where I could get the musical memories and other items you mentioned. Is it readily available online, IE Amazon or Booksmilion.
Thanks
i homeschool so the books i ordered them through canadian home education resources, www.CanadianHomeEducation.com

i also have the Little House Cookbook (i love it, it links the recipes to excerpts from books), Laura Ingalls Wilder Country, you can also get My Little House Crafts Book and the music books is Musical Memories of Laura Ingalls Wilder. you might be able to find them by searching for them on amazon or something else. homeschooling resources through the states I'm sure would carry them.

mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#42 of 56 Old 09-13-2005, 11:38 PM

Thanks Guys !!!
#43 of 56 Old 09-30-2005, 12:29 PM

I own all the seasons 1-8 and I cannot wait till the next one comes out. My aunt and I are planning a trip the real locations of plum creek etc. I think we might be on the verge of addicted. :LOL
#44 of 56 Old 09-30-2005, 12:42 PM

I could not see the pictures in the blog (I read all the way through, did not see a thing or a link?) but I googled it and found a virtual tour:

http://www.ingallshomestead.com/virtualvisit.html
#45 of 56 Old 09-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Ok, I love the LIW books, but can we please distinguish between the books and the tv series? They are not the same, nor did the series portray the situations in the books (except for the pilot episode, which was quite accurate). The tv show took the basic characters and setting and a few things (Mary's blindness, Nellie's meanness) and then just ran with it, making stuff up out of whole cloth. Albert? C'mon! Walnut Grove? A name that was never mentioned in 8 books. Guess they didn't like "De Smet"). The Caroline in the series is NOT the real Caroline!

I just had to get that off my chest.

The older I get, the more I identify with Caroline instead of Laura as I re-read the books. As a mother, I am able to put myself into her place, to understand her worries about Laura's "wildness" in that time and place, to appreciate her fierce desire for her girls to have an education, to see what it took for her to roam west every time Pa felt the neighbors closing in, when you know all she wanted was a cozy life back East. I admire her ability to, "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."
#46 of 56 Old 09-30-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama
Ok, I love the LIW books, but can we please distinguish between the books and the tv series? They are not the same, nor did the series portray the situations in the books (except for the pilot episode, which was quite accurate). The tv show took the basic characters and setting and a few things (Mary's blindness, Nellie's meanness) and then just ran with it, making stuff up out of whole cloth. Albert? C'mon! Walnut Grove? A name that was never mentioned in 8 books. Guess they didn't like "De Smet"). The Caroline in the series is NOT the real Caroline!

The older I get, the more I identify with Caroline instead of Laura as I re-read the books. As a mother, I am able to put myself into her place, to understand her worries about Laura's "wildness" in that time and place, to appreciate her fierce desire for her girls to have an education, to see what it took for her to roam west every time Pa felt the neighbors closing in, when you know all she wanted was a cozy life back East. I admire her ability to, "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

I have been totally into the LIW books yet again & am almost through reading the whole series for the millionth time.

I am impressed with Caroline, as well--and how she knows how to do everything so well and so calmly. I think it is amazing that as a young wife and mother, she had enough practical housekeeping knowledge to keep her family healthy and fed and clothed. She knew everything from sewing, knitting, hat-making, gardening, soap making, all kind of cooking . . . the list goes on. She seemed to know how to take care of everything just right, and also educated her children very well.

I admire how they all did so much with so little. Trapped all winter I the house with no food, no way of leaving--I'd go insane--but they survived by innovation, conservation . . . singing, reading . . .

Totally off topic: How do you suppose they used the bathroom when they were trapped all winter? I just keep wondering . . .

I have been reading non-fiction accounts of LIW, as well--and her daughter, Rose. It is interesting that LIW seems so grateful and appreciative of her parents--despite going through real poverty and hardship. The daughter, Rose, seems so resentful and embarrassed that her family was relatively poor. She kept a journal (and also became a famous writer), and is so bitter about her upbringing. It is a lot more complex than that, actually, but this observation keeps registering with me . . .
#47 of 56 Old 10-01-2005, 05:32 PM

Yes so true, the series is not the books and vice versa. I suppose if you are a "serious by the book" Ingalls Family Fan then it you would of be referring to the books. If you are a Ingalls TV Family Fan then the series is more your suit. I think they both have merits! There is not many TV Shows (except the Cosby Show) or book series that show intact families, intellegient parents, mindful but spirited children, and honoring the family relationships out there these days. They tried to start a few but they did not last as long as Little House/Cosby. Books last much longer !

Major KUDOS to Caroline for encouraging education with her girls !
I read the series at least 5 times each. IN ORDER !! And still find them intriguing.

And so true it was an adjustment when I got into the non-fiction accounts to read between the lines at the "expression of hard facts" and the survival nature of the author. Have you ever journaled and wondered what folks would think if they read it ? It is sort of an accounting on paper of life's growth.

Back to Caroline.......In the LONG WINTER I remember the writings of when she just had a few handfuls of wheat flour and she made muffins in different sizes to feed the family!
And then also had everyone sleep late and go to bed early so that they only needed two meals a day.
#48 of 56 Old 10-08-2005, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
These are some of my very favorites! I also love Anne of Green Gables series and shows!
Oh yes, I love both, but especially Anne! I think I just enjoy any story about strong women making it through hard times, one of my all times faves is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

My girlfriends and I played Little House on the Prairie all the time during recess in elementary school, and we had a great time! Gee, I feel nostalgic. :
#49 of 56 Old 10-08-2005, 03:24 PM

I was obsessed with the Little House on the Prairie books when I was little. I can't even count how many times I read them. Now I want to go read them again! I always wanted to live like they did. I want to read them to my dd when she gets a little older. I'll have to check out the newer books too.
#50 of 56 Old 10-08-2005, 06:27 PM

As a girl I was completely obsessed with the Little House books. I liked the TV show, too -- but the books were definitely my favorite. I had a calico sun bonnet that I wore all the time. Playing Little House was my favorite make believe game when I was young. I even wrote 2 college English papers (one undergrad & one master's) about Laura Ingalls and the Little House books. A few Christmases ago I bought my dd a hardback copy of LH in the Big Woods. I think she might finally be ready for me to start reading it to her. Has anyone seen the pioneer doll house and dolls at Magic Cabin toys? Oh how I wish I'd had something like that when I was a girl! It bothers me a bit that they've made a big series of books based on the original books. I'd like to think that part of the motivation is to share Laura's works with more people, but I really think it's just all about making money and that kind of bugs me.
#51 of 56 Old 10-09-2005, 11:59 AM

I'll agree Caroline does know how to keep a house together. I haven't read the books in years, but now I'm starting with DDs. We are on "Little House in the Big Woods." The idea of hanging a dead bear and pig outside and then Charles taking an ax to it for meat, kind of freaks me out. She had to be strong woman to do that, but I guess a mother will do anything to take care of her family.

Next week we are going to De Smet, SD. It's the little house on the prairie town. DDs are so excited. We are going with three other homeschooling families (mothers and children). We are only spending $25/night. We are all LHOTP readers.

I'll let you know how it is next week. Maybe Caroline will inspire me more.
#52 of 56 Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 PM

mama22girls - have you called ahead. I am pretty sure that most of the stuff there is closed for the year. or maybe it is just the homestead/pagent. at any rate avoid the dairy queen. it was awful and the customer service was horrid. . Did you see my pictures? we went a few weeks ago and had the best time.

#53 of 56 Old 10-12-2005, 12:33 PM

lilyka--Thanks for the advice. My friend called ahead and the farm closes during the 3rd week in October. Her little girl got sick so we had to postpone the trip for now. Who knows? We kind of fly by the seat of our pants. :LOL We might just take off tomorrow, if the little girl is better. The lady has been very accomodating and understanding with us.

I'll have to check out your pictures
#54 of 56 Old 10-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Subscribing (I never saw this thread before!)....I'm a huge fan of the Little House books. My mom read them to me (a chapter each night before bed) when I was about 4 or so, and then I read them to myself in 2nd grade. I re-read them many times later on, but I never liked the TV show. I even gave my dd the middle name Grace because I loved the youngest Ingalls' daughter's name when I was young. If the baby I am pg with now is a girl her middle name will be Rose which is what Laura named her dd. I didn't pick the names specifically because I'm obsessed or anything :LOL They just always stuck in my head as beautiful old fashioned names and had a sentimental link to my childhood. I definitely think the LH books were a big influence on my younger years. I hope to use the series (and the other books out now) when I homeschool my dd in the future.

I am so jealous of those who have or are going to De Smet! I would LOVE to go there! I may just have to do that some day when I have older kids.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#55 of 56 Old 10-12-2005, 02:41 PM

Oh man. I wish I had known the farm was open that late.we were so rushed to get out there. How far do you live from there? maybe next year all teh MDC moms who live remotely close can go together. how much fun would that be. I think we will definietly go again next year.

#56 of 56 Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama

:

My beloved grandfather bought me the Little House series when I was a little girl. When I was young and wild, moving around in a nomadic lifestyle, I lost this series. One of my biggest regrets in life, really, that I don't have that exact set to read to my kids.

But we're rebuying the collection. We're about 1/4 of the way through "Little House on the Prairie", having just finished "Little House in the Big Woods".

I love these books so much. My daughter, who is 6, is a huge fan.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page