Caroline Ingalls (Little house on the prairie)fans? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright,who else aspires to be Caroline Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie?Is she not the master Homemaker and Mother?I totally think she ROCKS!!!!!Any one else want to 'fess up here?
I also love the home/cabin,and of course Walnut Grove is such a cool little town!
I'm posting this here,cos I am not yet "off the grid"or "country livin'"

:::
#2 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Now I want to re-read thos books!! I THINK we own "Little House in the Big Woods" but I'm not sure where I'd find it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've always been so intimidated by Caroline... which stems from admiration and awe. She was so very strong and so very good at what she did.
#4 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 10:53 AM

I am reading the series to my DD's, we are curently on the third book, On the Banks of Plum Creek. (Actually, that is the fourth book, we skipped Farmer Boy for now). The Plum Creek one is where they lived in the dugout, one of my favorite Little House houses.

At the risk of being accused of Caroline bashing, the books make her out to be sorta small minded and judgemental. It almost seems that Charles and the girls have to "work around" some of her issues. In the second book, where they live in "Indian Territory", she is pretty snippy about living near Indians and makes it very clear that she is "above" living in that fashion. I do understand that her judgements where all based on fear and ignorance, but it did put me in a position explaining to my children why "Ma" was so nasty about their neighbors. And with Mr. Edwards, she was very snobby, she did come around with him though.

I do love the books though, I bought "The Little House Cookbook" and we are playing around with frontier food. We had Pioneer Day in my town not long ao and we had a blast. I love that time period. My DD's are the same age as Mary and Laura, so they are really enjoying identifying with the characters.

Did anyone watch "Frontier House" on PBS? It was a reality show where three families tried to make it on the frontier. It was very entertaining and educational. I would love to have a copy, but won't pay 70.00 for the DVD's

But to answer your question, Caroline and all the pioneer women rock IMO. When she and Pa were building a cabin and a log smashed her ankle, she just went right on working the best she could. When Pa was gone, she slept in the rocking chair by the door with the gun, keeping the kids as calm as possible singing to them while she feared for their life. People accuse me of being snobby sounding at times, I guess I should let Caroline slide on this issue.
#5 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundpegmom
Did anyone watch "Frontier House" on PBS? It was a reality show where three families tried to make it on the frontier. It was very entertaining and educational. I would love to have a copy, but won't pay 70.00 for the DVD's
That show was indeed a reality check and was very well done. I had difficulty getting past the soap opera parts of it. :

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#6 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 11:37 AM

I have read and still own the Little House books.

One book that I found in recent years that really broadened my perspective of the Ingalls family is titled: Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Donald Zochert.

The book is very depressing in some areas, which is to be expected as it portrays a lot of the very trying times that were a part of frontier life. It really opened my eyes on some of the individual family members, especially Caroline.
#7 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 AM

I just bought my mom the first season on DVD for mother's day. I'd like to get the books for me. How many are there?
#8 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 AM

I think in the initial series there are 8.

Little House in the Big Woods
Little House on the Prairie
Farmer Boy
On the Banks of Plum Creek
By The Shores of Silver Lake
Little Town on the Prairie
The Long Winter
These Happy Golden Years
The First Four Years

There was also two books chronicling later years

On The Way Home
West From Home

This site is where I got my info:
http://www.littlehousebooks.com/books/books.asp

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#9 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:
At the risk of being accused of Caroline bashing, the books make her out to be sorta small minded and judgemental. It almost seems that Charles and the girls have to "work around" some of her issues. In the second book, where they live in "Indian Territory", she is pretty snippy about living near Indians and makes it very clear that she is "above" living in that fashion. I do understand that her judgements where all based on fear and ignorance, but it did put me in a position explaining to my children why "Ma" was so nasty about their neighbors. And with Mr. Edwards, she was very snobby, she did come around with him though.

I think that is a wonderful way to teach about racism.
#10 of 56 Old 05-19-2005, 02:04 PM

Okay---I know this sounds crazy---but when I was little I'd watch Little House on the Prairie with my sunbonnet on. I was Laura for Halloween twice and would tell everyone that I was the real Laura Ingalls re-incarnated! :
I have all the books and those new kid chapter books that are a take-off.
I have Season 1 and Season 2 on DVD.
I want my daughter to love it as much as I did when she's older.

I also LOVE Ma. Sometimes when I'm tired I think of all the things she had to do to put a meal on the table, or to clean clothes etc.
#11 of 56 Old 05-20-2005, 10:42 AM

I have two sisters and we used to play Little House all the time. I always had to be Mary because I'm the oldest. We all wanted to be Laura :LOL

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#12 of 56 Old 05-20-2005, 10:48 AM

I always wanted to be Laura not Caroline but I will admit as far as home making went-Caroline rocked.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#13 of 56 Old 05-20-2005, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb
I always wanted to be Laura not Caroline but I will admit as far as home making went-Caroline rocked.

Ok...I will admit....that is where I got my user name from... :

~C~
#14 of 56 Old 05-20-2005, 11:35 PM

I have the entire series (at list three complete sets) 1
I have the DVD series 1-8 !! Me, dh, and ds are watching them as a family. He never saw the series as a kid ! I was ADDICTED to it......Monday nights at 8pm !!! He is enjoying the series on DVD.

YECCH ! I saw a few episodes of when Walt Disney just recently tried to redo the pilot of Little House on the Priairie............IT WAS AWFUL !! They need to know when to leave well enough alone !!

I read the books as a child over and over. We also now live on a few acres, not trying to be Little House, but my dh does like being self reliant and semi-off grid and having all this space. We will be gardening and raising chickens, ducks, etc.

FYI... did you know that some homeschoolers use the series for teaching. There is a Little House primer or something like that.

I am a real big fan of the series !!!!
#15 of 56 Old 05-24-2005, 03:42 AM

My dd is obssesed with Little House books and wants to live in a log cabin.

They now have series chronicalling several generations of Laura's ancestors (as well as her daughter Rose)- including Caroline's whole life. We are finishing that series up now with Caroline Quiner's marriage to Charles Ingalls.

(Note: the series starts out boring but picks up steam)

I always liked Laura best because she had a wild streak and independent thinking- but Caroline could defintely manage a house - she was awesome and I am still intimidated.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#16 of 56 Old 05-24-2005, 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=MamaMonica]......They now have series chronicalling several generations of Laura's ancestors (as well as her daughter Rose)- including Caroline's whole life. We are finishing that series up now with Caroline Quiner's marriage to Charles Ingalls.

(Note: the series starts out boring but picks up steam)
QUOTE]

MamaMonica...can you give us the name of the new Series, author, where you boughtit, etc etc etc.
Enquiring minds want to know ! :LOL
#17 of 56 Old 05-24-2005, 11:41 AM

Here is a link that talks about all the new series of books. It looks like they are going back several generations!

http://www.littlehousebooks.com/index.html

HTH!
#18 of 56 Old 05-24-2005, 12:43 PM

I have the original series for my daughter when she gets older ---she's only one.
I have bought the chapter books for her of Laura's adventures---I think it's great that they are creating new books--it's such a wholesome series!
#19 of 56 Old 05-24-2005, 12:50 PM

These are some of my very favorites! I also love Anne of Green Gables series and shows!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#20 of 56 Old 05-24-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Here is a link that talks about all the new series of books. It looks like they are going back several generations!

http://www.littlehousebooks.com/index.html

HTH!
Yes- these are the ones. They all have different authors but are on one shelf at our library grouped together so are easy to find.

The Caroline ones are defintiely the best of the lot. Dd got bored with Martha...

There are "bad" parts that need to be edited out for small kids in some of the series.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#21 of 56 Old 05-24-2005, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the link! I read all of the Little House books when I was little -- my uncle bought me a new one each b-day or holiday -- and now my dd is reading them and loves them. I wasn't aware there were new books--we'll definitely check them out!
#22 of 56 Old 05-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Banned

Totally agree...still watch reruns and am getting older dd into it and planto buy whole set one day. Love love love Caroline and often take ideas from her in real life for myself.
#23 of 56 Old 05-26-2005, 01:10 PM

oh i loved little house, abnne of green gables, the oreagon trail, caddie woodlawn and all pioneer stuff. i haven't seen the Frontier house yet, but i did borrow colonial house dvd set from the library and need to put frontier house on hold. I can't wait to start reading little house to my DD and am really excited about the new books.

Caroline is awesome. and recently i have had no ac and our gas got turned off so no hot water and i have totally been pretending that i lic\ve in the "old days" and thinkg that i have to much stuff and i should just simplify. I can't wait til we have land and a farm, DH and i want to become mostly self sufficient. I really wish i coyuld have done frontier house.

in fact last night and this mornign i was thinking they could do a florida cracker house (cuz that's the one dh said he'd want to do) and i could have my baby on the show and it would be so neat.

Courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#24 of 56 Old 06-06-2005, 12:13 PM

I *loved* these books growing up! And the show Reading this thread makes me want to go back and read the stories again!

Tamara
#25 of 56 Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 PM

I love Little House! I remember reading the books over and over again. My kids and I watch an episode at night before bed from video or DVD that we get at the library! I focused on Laura as a child but definately zone in on Caroline now!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#26 of 56 Old 06-07-2005, 11:27 AM

I also focused on Laura as a child. I don't remember very much about Caroline at all! lol Did they develop her character in the books / tv series?

Man I need to go back and read/watch them over again! (won't DH *love* that? He doesn't dig my nostalgic streak, though he is fairly accomodating)

Tamara
#27 of 56 Old 06-14-2005, 05:19 PM

OK, I am a total dork but my dh and I played Little House this past winter. We got a lot of snow over one night so in the morning we made coffee, put dd in the pull behind sled, and walked to our friends' house four blocks away to "see how the isolated neighbors are". It is pathetic because we live right in town and have neighbors 12 feet away. Dh insisted I call him "Charles" and listen to him talk to "bandit" (the imaginary dog) and "Mary" (dd).
#28 of 56 Old 06-15-2005, 04:07 AM

It is so funny that my first post here is about "Little House" which I read and watched religiously as a kid. What I liked most about Caroline was how calm and loving she was when she spoke to her kids(even when they misbehaved) she was also one of the only women on TV that wasn't caked with makeup etc....she was a natural beauty inside and out!
#29 of 56 Old 06-15-2005, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

yoopervegan- :LOL I LOVE that!!!!

:::
#30 of 56 Old 06-16-2005, 04:19 PM

I have always been utterly obsessed with Little House. I am always tell DH about little stories from the books and how they taught me some lesson or another.

They all rock...though Mary always pissed me off. Then, I felt bad for disliking her when she got so sick. :LOL

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page