Best way to sell stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-22-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Dh and I desperately want to declutter our home and streamline our possessions. We are sitting on a bunch of nice, expensive, basically unused things, and are tired of the burden. Plus, we need $$$. We have framed art, china, crystal, expensive clothing, tons of books, objets decoratifs, etc. Assuming we can be ruthless enough, what is the most efficient way to sell this stuff? We can't do a garage sale easily b/c we live off the road a bit. I was thinking an auction house - like when people die, and everything they owned gets auctioned, and it is just normal people stuff like videos and regular crap. Can we do that? Or what else can we do? I do not want to ebay stuff b/c of the time and effort.

Thanks -

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-22-2005, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Around here lots of people hold actions. Basically you put all things out in your yard, advertise, and get and actioneer. Make sure you list the neat things you will be selling, and then at the auction the actioneer will sell all of your stuff. He will do some things individually, and some as lots. I don't know how much stuff you have, but this might be an easier way, and it will all be gone in one day. People do this if they are moving, or a death, ect. I think it would work good if you really need to declutter!
#3 of 13 Old 05-23-2005, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. We were hoping to be able to auction most of our stuff. This is the type of stuff we have - what do you think is auctionable, and what do you think would be better sold elsewhere?

expensive fancy framed artwork
books (I was thinking sell to used scifi bookstore)
clothes (donate?)
fancy china and crystal gifts from wedding
linens for wrong bed sizes
plastic/noisemaking/battery toys
knick-knacks
extra baby junk (bibs, shoes, stuff we never used)
videos
kitchen stuff

Of course I am biased b/c it is my stuff, but most of it is in excellent condition and of high quality, as we have been major consumers. :

Also, do you know, could we get someone to give us a very rough estimate of value and their commission? Or is that too difficult?

#4 of 13 Old 05-24-2005, 07:35 PM

Around here we have places where it is a big flea market and you rent a table and bring your items and there are many people selling all in one place. Sounds like you have a good variety of quality stuff so that might be one option. What about listing it in a paper? We have something called the Want-Ad which lists things free til they sell and then takes a small commission or the newspaper also has a deal where you can list items. Might work for the big ticket stuff like the artwork and the china and stuff. I am in the midst of decluttering for a big yard sale so I know how tiring it can be. Good luck!!
#5 of 13 Old 05-25-2005, 03:07 AM

Ebay would work great for all of those items.
#6 of 13 Old 05-25-2005, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybones
Ebay would work great for all of those items.

Well then it is dh's responsibility b/c I hate dealing with ebay and have very little experience.

Do you think even the breakable crystal and heavy china stuff is good for ebay?

#7 of 13 Old 05-25-2005, 05:16 PM

I've sold china before on there and did really well. You can do a search of the completed items on Ebay to see if something similar has sold and if it sold for a price you're happy with sell it there. You'd be surprised how well things sell there. The only problem would be having to pack and ship the items that you sell....that can get tedious sometimes. Good luck!

Sarah
#8 of 13 Old 05-26-2005, 12:14 AM

I have also sold a piece of crystal on eBay and got a good price for it. You should make sure to offer the buyer the option to purchase shipping insurance- this way if it breaks in shipping they will either be covered (if they bought the insurance) or they will at least have had the option. If you list a bunch of stuff at the same time, you can usually cut down on the number of trips to the post office, as you should receive payment at approximately the same time for items you sell. Another tip is to package everything and weigh it before you list- I always underestimate how much postage will be and end up paying the difference!
#9 of 13 Old 06-07-2005, 03:07 PM

I know you said you didnt want to mess with ebay but that's my only suggestion....well actually you could have a yard sale.
#10 of 13 Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 AM

You could always try www.craigslist.org. It might work and it's free.
#11 of 13 Old 06-11-2005, 08:20 PM

You could also get an ebay consultant. They charge different rates, but a fair rate is 50-50. And the fees come out of THEIR 50%. An auction sounds like fun, too!

How far off the road are you? Some do very well off the road, especially if advertised well. just depends, I guess.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#12 of 13 Old 07-06-2005, 04:19 PM

i have found ebay pretty good, but the fees can be crazy and summer seems to be the slowest time. craigslist has worked out well for me and there are no fees involved.
for books, i have over 700 books listed on half.com (under aisraeltax) and like that deal b/c the books stay there until you sell them and you set the price. there is no listing fee and they send you a direct deposit to your checking acct. 2x a month. there is also no monthly fee for them.
amazon is free listing but i think the total fees at sell are higher. and they delete your books after 60 days (i think).
for me, half.com is great b/c i cant keep relisting books, etc. its also easy to try to sell them on ebay fro half.com and if they dont sell to relist them on half.com again (since its owned by ebay).
just my 2 cents,
Rach
#13 of 13 Old 07-06-2005, 06:31 PM

If you don’t want the hassle of eBay you may want to try the Amazon.com Marketplace. I have sold several books, videos, and DVDs there.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page