What are you reasons? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-23-2005, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I am here, searching and reading for a few reasons...

The biggest one is I want to leave as small as a footprint on this earth as possible! My consumption, or lack of it, it one thing I can do myself to help this planet now and in the future. I have one son, and a baby on the way. I want to show them how we can help by not consuming and simplifying.

I also feel better when I don't have as much "stuff" in my life. As much as companies try and tell me that I would be happier with more stuff, I just know I feell better when I am not pushing stuff around all the time!

I am a SAHM with a hubby that works WAY TOO MUCH! and I want to try and make his future easier on him. By decluttering, simplifying etc. I am trying to take some of the financial pressure off of him.

Why do you de-clutter, simplify and the like? What drives you? I am sure there are more for me... but wanted to read what you think.

Love,
Kathleen in San Diego
Proud Mama to Augustus 02/26/00
Love my hubby
Baby due 10/13/05

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#2 of 23 Old 05-23-2005, 08:29 PM

I'm a chronic declutterer. I do it because clutter makes me INSANE. I try not let it build up by not buying knick-nack type stuff, no little toys, etc. I also can't stand useless consumerism, like collecting Pokemon or whatever, that stuff is so unappealing to me. Weekly I donate about 3-5 bags to the shelter here.

If my house had nothing but furniture in it I would be happy, lol.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#3 of 23 Old 05-23-2005, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
I'm a chronic declutterer. I do it because clutter makes me INSANE. I try not let it build up by not buying knick-nack type stuff, no little toys, etc.
This is me too. I cannot concentrate on life when my surroundings are cluttered. People know not to buy me knick-knacks, now I pretty much get cash or GC's as gifts. Or I ask for consumable things like candles.
DH likes to buy stuff, stuff we almost always dont need. He's one to go down aisles just to see whats on sale and such and buy things just cause he sees them, and not because they're a need...drives me crazy, but I pick my battles.
#4 of 23 Old 05-24-2005, 06:09 PM

I'm decluttering because it's starting to affect my marriage. That sounds really dramatic, but honestly, there are three of us in a 2 bedroom apartment. I'm a teacher, so I have all my teaching books, materials, craft supplies, etc. I don't have a permanent contract, so I have no school to store it at. My 18m old daughter has so much stuff it's insane. Everywhere you look in our home there is a pile of stuff. We just don't have room for it all and so we look at the clutter and become annoyed at the person (dh or me) whose clutter it is and then lash out at that person... It's a nasty cycle. So we're decluttering as best as we can now and looking to move to a three bedroom townhouse. *crosses fingers*
#5 of 23 Old 05-24-2005, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlwons
Well I am here, searching and reading for a few reasons...

The biggest one is I want to leave as small as a footprint on this earth as possible! My consumption, or lack of it, it one thing I can do myself to help this planet now and in the future. I have one son, and a baby on the way. I want to show them how we can help by not consuming and simplifying.

I also feel better when I don't have as much "stuff" in my life. As much as companies try and tell me that I would be happier with more stuff, I just know I feell better when I am not pushing stuff around all the time!

I am a SAHM with a hubby that works WAY TOO MUCH! and I want to try and make his future easier on him. By decluttering, simplifying etc. I am trying to take some of the financial pressure off of him.

Why do you de-clutter, simplify and the like? What drives you? I am sure there are more for me... but wanted to read what you think.

Love,
Kathleen in San Diego
Proud Mama to Augustus 02/26/00
Love my hubby
Baby due 10/13/05
All of the above - except DH is the SAHP, so I guess I'm taking the financial pressure off myself, really.

Single mom of 2 boys
#6 of 23 Old 05-24-2005, 06:22 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 23 Old 05-24-2005, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Clutter and disorgainization puts a strain on our marriage as well! My house right now is pretty squared away ( until I get side tracked and horribly misguided) and we are getting along really well. I get soooooo grouchy when stuff is out of "control", too bad that is way more often than I would like.
With a new baby on the way, I want even more "stuff" out of here and I will not let as much come through the door with this child. Well at least I will try.

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#8 of 23 Old 05-24-2005, 10:42 PM

I've been trying to declutter because I'm lazy. I find it so much easier to keep the house clean without a lot of crap around. Of course, it seems like for every one thing I get rid of, we get two toys to replace it! I'm still working on this whole decluttering thing....
#9 of 23 Old 05-25-2005, 02:05 AM

This is something I struggle with but I'm aiming to declutter so that my children do not learn to hoard things, but be willing to let things go so that they won't have to deal with what I'm dealing with! Hopefully I'll get my system down before they're gone....and they'll learn something good from me rather than bad.
#10 of 23 Old 05-31-2005, 01:26 AM

Its amazing how I will find the smallest tip that will make the biggest difference. The pp regarding consumerizm...so true. Our contry has become so disposable and is really quite sad... .I declutter for sanity purposes, and have actually learned to do it better as I keep peeking on the posts. One of the best books,yeah another book, was SIMPLE ABUNDACE, it not only helped with the simplifying, it was just a great journey out of "materialism hell" and on to more important things.
#11 of 23 Old 05-31-2005, 12:24 PM

I'm decluttering because you can not organize clutter. I am not an organized person and I need it simple in order to keep it clean. My children, my husband and I deserve to live in a clean and orgaized home. Having a clean home makes me feel less stressed, enables my family to do more and spend less because we can find everything. I've been living in CHAOS for far to long and it's time for that to change.

:
#12 of 23 Old 06-01-2005, 10:47 AM

I just got too tired of stuff about 2 years ago. We had it piled high in our closets and it was impossible to get at, so why keep it?? That started it and while looking at all this stuff, I realized a good portion was gifts of some sort, or those direct selling cast offs (pamperd chef, candle stuff etc).
That led me to our next crusade of not exchanging gifts w family members at the holidays anymore and not buying anymore of that stuff.
But once we got on the bandwagon, there was no stopping me or DH. Over several weeks, we went thru almost every nook in our house. We got rid of so much stuff and now we have a nice easy to care for home. We still do it on a quarterly basis. Also if something comes in the house, a similar one has to go out.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#13 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 11:26 PM

I'm decluttering because I only have room to use the things I really like, if I get rid of the things I don't.
#14 of 23 Old 06-15-2005, 05:21 PM

I declutter because I spend too much time "finding" things. Also, I get very grumpy when my house is messy.
#15 of 23 Old 06-17-2005, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
I'm a chronic declutterer. I do it because clutter makes me INSANE. I try not let it build up by not buying knick-nack type stuff, no little toys, etc. I also can't stand useless consumerism, like collecting Pokemon or whatever, that stuff is so unappealing to me.
I couldn't have said it better!

I look at it this way: The less Stuff I have, the less I have to clean. Works for me. Also I hate having to look for things. I like to be able to open a cupboard and reach for what I need without having to dig for it.

Now if I could only make my family understand that concept I would be really happy :LOL

Cinnamon
#16 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 01:44 PM

I can't stand spending hours looking for one piece of paper, wading through mountains of crap I neither need nor use.

I come from a family of chronic, hoarding clutterbugs and I don't want my life to be defined by what I have. I want it to be defined by what we do. Because I want my children to grow up competent, happy and unhindered, it has begun to dawn on me that I'd better live the life I want for them.

The financial benefits of simplifying are a bonus, but I really want my house to be where I live, not my life's work.
#17 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 02:28 PM

I started decluttering to make room for the baby and her stuff. (Not that she really needs all that stuff either.)

And I'm seeing the benefits. I still have way to much of everything - craft supplies, papers, books, clothes, shoes. But now I can SOMETIMES find things.

The clutter has/does put a strain between DH and I. We struggle with housekeeping, and a lot of times its just piles of junk. Amazingly, we have both started to declutter. Like last night, he said "This ibuprofen is expired, I'm throwing it out." In the past we would have both let it sit there until it was a year out of date - not using it, but letting it take up space, moving it around, etc.

Everytime I put something in the trash/recycling/thrift store box, I get a little bit of relief and satisfaction.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#18 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I declutter because, like another poster said, you can't organize clutter. I define clutter as stuff that we don't really need or use. And when we have a lot of stuff that we don't really need or use, it makes having a clean, organized house very difficult.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#19 of 23 Old 07-06-2005, 02:47 AM

When I was 23 I was living in a 2 bedroom apt and had enough furniture for a five bedroom house. I just couldn't move it anymore. So I weeded it all down to basic furniture for a 1 bedroom apt and 7 boxes in my garage

My mom was sooo proud of me she came over to my house while I was at work and unloaded two full vanfulls of boxes into my garage. It was everything she had saved from my childhood. birthday cards wrapping paper pictures girl scout uniforms t ball uniforms everything.

I gave it all away and somehow got down to 15 boxes in my garage.

Then I had a baby. OH MY!!

Then I inhereted my Grandmothers house FILLED with stuff and her garage FILLED with stuff. I'm STILL going through it all and I hate it. You have no idea how many boxes of fake flowers I've thrown away. It's been 2 years now and I'm still fighting my way thru it. Why you ask? I DON'T KNOW

When I went to the psych for my PPD I was diagnosed with OCD Hoarding. But I don't anymore. I can't. There's NO WHERE to put it. I pray every day that I get it under control before my DC are old enough to remember it.

:
#20 of 23 Old 07-07-2005, 01:44 AM

Staying simple allows me to stay creative, less crazy feeling, and clearer thinking. We are a family of artists and if the house is somewhat organized, it is like a clean canvas waiting to be painted. When I see the table cleared and wiped down, my mind instantly wants to start and finish a project. When the house is for the most part cleaned, I will say "yes" to my kids more often if they ask me to play a game or to bake something rather than looking at the house and feeling overwhelmed and telling them "no, I have to do this and do that".

Sometimes I go through stages where too much is brought in from great garage sale or thrift shop buys. It starts to feel like there is no room to set down a glass of water or a corner to stick the vacuum cleaner. That makes me start to feel overwhelmed and then it's time to shed again.

I live in a small house and I really like that. It may be harder when the kids get a bit older. But small is easier to clean, less room to store useless stuff, and every nook is actively being lived in so no plant ever gets neglected, just about every book gets read, and I can hear the kids play, and every room is actively used and it forces us to go outside more. I like that. It reminds me of a boat where you have to utilize all the space and nothing is wasted.

So because of living in a small house I look at the space as very important living energy. If I fill up the airy space with stuff, then it's that much less space to walk and live and dance and move in. That book Material World gives a fly on the wall view of how much stuff people own in their house, hut, yurt apartment etc. My house feels like a castle next to how most people live. It makes me feel like I have too much stuff. It really helps me to stay simple.

Another thing that tuned me in to how much we really have is that PBS series called Frontier House. After that show (which you can rent through your library) I looked at my house through a different set of eyes. It was really strange to see all the stuff it takes to live now compared to the folks back at the turn of the century that had so little and survived.

Regina, unschooling ma of two kids
#21 of 23 Old 07-07-2005, 03:19 AM

I'm really loving this thread! : It's giving me lots of inspiration.....

I LOVE that book, Material World. I love seeing what's important to other people, in other cultures. I think that's why I like Clean Sweep so much.

On the decluttering front, our local Humane Society is having a fundraising rummage sale next month, and I'll be dropping about 4 boxes of books and Nat'l Geographics there in the next couple of days!

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#22 of 23 Old 07-11-2005, 04:57 PM

I do it for all the the above reasons - plus, decluttering things, has a similar effect on my mind. When my 'things' are in chaos, my mind and life are alos in chaos, as weird as that is. When I take the time to clean and de-clutter, I seriously feel my mind is clearer. I guessl that is really the 'sanity' explanation.
#23 of 23 Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
I come from a family of chronic, hoarding clutterbugs and I don't want my life to be defined by what I have. I want it to be defined by what we do. Because I want my children to grow up competent, happy and unhindered, it has begun to dawn on me that I'd better live the life I want for them.
ME TOO! ME TOO!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page