JUNE Declutter Challenge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Between now and June 30th- sell, give away, donate, recycle or throw away (if unusable), or return to their rightful owner 150 separate items (not including pieces of paper - magazines count though). And list your items on this thread so you can see your progress!

If you would like to focus on a specific room or area of your house that's fine. Let us know what your focus is and how it's progressing!
#2 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

My focus areas for this month are the office and the basement. That's where we stick everything we don't know what to do with and both are a complete mess. And I need to get the basement cleared out before we can get it finished. Oh, and the dining room table/dining room. It would be nice to actually use the table. :

Before I left on vacation I freecycled two baskets and an old cat carrier. So, I'm at 3! Only 147 more items to go
#3 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Here is what I already posted- why we need a seperate thread is beyond me but ok I can play nicely-

I'm in, the May challenge was too much a challenge with all we had going on but I vowed I would do June.

My goal is to:

Take 75 items out of my home. I already have 40 items that I have discarded this month to the church rummage sale and I want to do more so 35 more to go.

Declutter linen closet,
foyer closet,
and pantry (see pantry challenge meal planning for further detail!)
Spice racks
snack cabinet
office drawers
file cabinet

Also work on DH to work on our garage a bit more. He has done an excellent job but we need to do a bit more.

It actually takes me only about 15-30 minutes to go thru each task but just writing it down and getting it done is the challenge! Now that I have a declutter system in place for a few years, its so easy to do.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 AM

And I have done...

Already my box to donate has 10 items. It will have more as I do this list.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#5 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Ooohh!!
I've needed a kick-in-the-butt like this for soooo long!

When we moved last fall we got rid of *some* stuff, but now we have a shed, which is much like a "garage" except it isn't meant to hold cars, just junk, and it's got an upstairs! Plus, my mom just brought me 4 boxes of keepsakes from my childhood, and honestly, at least a third is junk. I truly forgot neon was cool then, and I really didn't want to be reminded.

Sign me up!
#6 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 01:04 PM

I'll do both - purge 150 items while focusing on my closet. Storage is slim in my house so everything ends up in my closet. I've never given away any baby clothes so I have 5 years of clothing to go through. :
#7 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 01:43 PM

I don't have a main focus...I just want to make this a goal this month.
I already freecycled some things this month

Beanie Babies (13 of them)
Household Items ..Misc (15 items)
Books (40)
Push Mower (1)
Maternity Clothes (15)

Total Already Completed This Month: 84
Total Items To Go: 66

Mandi
#8 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 02:16 PM

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
Ooohh!!
I truly forgot neon was cool then, and I really didn't want to be reminded.

ok- you have me there- I forgot about neon. Thankfully that went out the door the next year when 8th grade started along with my Thriller album (maybe I was on to something then about MJ). That was totally cool fer shere.

#9 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love this idea! I SO need to declutter. I'll get rid of 150 items this month with a focus on DS's room, clothes and magazines.
Thank you for the inspiration
I'm off to get started now....

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#10 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 07:37 PM

I have two bags full of kids clothes to resell. Don't know how many items (and too lazy to count) so I'm going to estimate around 40 items.
Also giving to my brother some baby clothes and other items~7 items.

Grand total so far=47
#11 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 10:31 PM

OK, I definately need to get in on this! My apartment is a mess! We're planning a yard sale soon, so that should help! I'll update this post once I get rid of some clutter!
#12 of 55 Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 PM

Ooh, ooh! Fun!

OK, I donated 6 books to the library.

Freecycled a Little Tikes play kitchen.

Gave my mom our water table b/c the kids use the kiddie pool more right now.

Sold 1 book

Sold 2 cloth diapers

Gave a bag of baby clothes to my SIL

How fun this is! I'm going to have to go find some more stuff! I think truly, though, I'm going to focus on the kid's school books and the basement.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#13 of 55 Old 06-08-2005, 03:55 PM

joining.

I haven't counted, but I will have to check the 'donate box' and see how many I have found so far.

My goal for this month wasn't to delutter, but to finish projects. 4 rooms in some stage of painting.... etc. Decluttering, here I come!
#14 of 55 Old 06-08-2005, 07:51 PM

Beginning total: 47
Found 4 more baby items for brother, one bottle of cologne to regift for brother's birthday(DH had an abundance), reusing a gift bag and tissue paper.
Donating a shelf, beach bag, net toy bag, rocking horse picture, five stuffed animals, a lamp.
Reselling 8 movies, 1 card game, a sling, 3 blankets, 3 unused bottles, 2 packs of unused nipples, 2 baby towels, 2 diaper covers, 1 package of unopened baby mittens.
Also returning a borrowed bassinet and 4 sets of bassinet sheets.

Grand total so far~~~~91!!!

This is fun!!!
#15 of 55 Old 06-08-2005, 11:47 PM

Today:

Sold 1 video

Donated a bag of baby clothes

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#16 of 55 Old 06-09-2005, 09:48 AM

I gave our little tikes tool thing a new home (a friends wanted it for her kids) and also took the tools along w it. So thats about 10 items.

We replaced a toilet in our second bathroom- does the toilet count as getting rid of things? :LOL

DD received some Little ponys for her birthday so I weeded out the old ones (about 5) plus an electric piano that needs to leave. I'm hitting her toys next but I might just do a toy rotation.

I did a "hand me up" DD received an art kit that was not for her so I gave it to a friend for her daughter who is 6. Plus some hair things that she cannot wear. So its a hand me up not a "regift" I was upfront about the whole thing and the other child loves the art thing with the messy markers.

So I think about 25 more items to go.

#17 of 55 Old 06-09-2005, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! You guys are doing great! I've slacked off a little. Haven't been motivated but now I am inspired. Off to go declutter....
#18 of 55 Old 06-09-2005, 03:27 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#19 of 55 Old 06-09-2005, 06:22 PM

15 New Beginnings magazines have gone to our LLL for new visitors welcome packets.

AmVets comes tomorrow- need to count up my pile!
#20 of 55 Old 06-09-2005, 06:48 PM

Sure, I'll play.

I've got a whole bunch of coats for goodwill already set aside.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#21 of 55 Old 06-09-2005, 07:15 PM

speaking of LLL- I have a crate of books from my past stint as librarian- better return those!!

#22 of 55 Old 06-10-2005, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

You guys inspired me!

Waiting to be picked up today or tomorrow from being listed on freecycle - 22 items (tapes, knick naks, old clock radio, etc.)

Gave away a bag of clothes I'd received on freecycle and didn't want to keep - 16

Sold today - A bunch of baby/kid's clothes - about 20 items, 5 books, and a crib bedding set (I'll count that as 5)

And in a bag waiting to be picked up by Value Village - 13 items (mugs, clothes, etc.)

New total - 84 items! 66 more to go.
#23 of 55 Old 06-11-2005, 11:29 PM

I have a great head start here, we just listed over 58 records on eBay this week. And I just sold two old car parts that were kicking around.
#24 of 55 Old 06-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Holy Cow can I use help in this area!!!! :LOL

I have so far listed on eBay 25 separate things (I'm counting groups of the same item as one, since it's one listing..i.e. Avent sippies and bottles). 7 have bids, and half are being watched so I am optimistic. I'll wait til the bidding is over and see what's gone and then add. But here is my definite list so far:

Pack and Play (to FIL's house for family use)
Ergo
Solarveil MT
Sachi MT
Nora Roberts' Book
The Giving Tree
Queen Victoria bio
Avent Bottles/cups
Baby Safe feeder
Maternity Shirts-XL
Maternity Shirts-M
Maternity shorts/capris
Boppy
Crib Aquarium
NoJo Ring Sling
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
Maternity Dresses
Swanke Hip Hammock

*Woohoo! More than Halfway there!* Uh, I don't have to count those things I've acquired, right?
#25 of 55 Old 06-12-2005, 02:52 PM

As I type here, I am gazing over at our bookcase of college texts.
We have been out of college for 10 years! Why do I still have these books? Like I am going to need this calculus book or psych book or biology book!!! : I HATED Calc and a few others!!

I will keep both dictionarys though. DH likes the American Heritage and I'm a Webster gal myself.

#26 of 55 Old 06-12-2005, 10:48 PM

I have been e-baying donating, consigning, but things are more messy now! I have 2 e-bay piles 1 to ship out, 1 to list. My consignment pile. My donate pile! My organized dh isn't happy about it! However we are moving into our first house in a few weeks so this is important. And although we will have so much more room, there is lots of things that I know won't get used! This is my first real move (we're finally moving out of the apartment above my parents ) So being a last minute kind of girl I'm nervous about organizing, packing & unpacking! Sorry don't have a count.
#27 of 55 Old 06-12-2005, 10:54 PM

I donate tons of stuff from inside the house, though there is an unused red car parked in my driveway...i think you guys have inspired me to finally call the Kidney foundation....tommorow...

Whatever will be, already is...

#28 of 55 Old 06-12-2005, 11:11 PM

With the college textbooks- my bil said to save the math related books for later when your kids need them. I guess textbooks are written differently then my day and they teach kids to use a calculator and not to think. So the others are going but we are keeping the math ones.

#29 of 55 Old 06-13-2005, 04:13 AM
Banned

my goal is declutter and organize closets in the house, 1 down many more to go. :
#30 of 55 Old 06-13-2005, 11:54 AM

OK
As I went down my list it helped w getting rid of stuff.

I cleaned out my linen closet and moved stuff into the med cabinet DH just installed. I threw out about 10 things of makeup etc. Plus the textbooks and then I went thru my office drawers. So I have gotten a bunch of stuff crossed off and now I reached my purge goal. But I'm sure I can find more!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page