I need packing/moving organizing tips - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-12-2005, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I welcome any tips that you may have on packing to move. We are finally moving out of the apartment above my parents! We're buying our first home! So my only move was a gradual one, up 1 flight of stairs. Most of my larger possesions were gradually added over the 7 years that we've lived here. My husband moved in but didn't have to much. I'm feeling very overwhelmed just thinking about it. I feel like Idon't have a clue what I'm doing. I'm kind of an "organized-wanna-be". My dh is really the organized one but since I'm home & he's at work I think I could start chipping away at this little by little. If the closing is on schedule it will be in 5 weeks. I'm thinking I'll begin with the things that don't get used often. Like the Basement, crawl spaces, stuff way back in the closets. I have already started going through stuff that we won't move. I've been e-baying, donating, consigning & will be freecycling too.

But I know we have some really experienced movers on MDC. Please give me your advice on this topic!
#2 of 9 Old 06-18-2005, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
We've moved a zillion times

You are off to a good start. Getting rid of everything that you don't love is the best first step. The next step is to pack up things that you don't use often -- seasonal items, books, etc. Make sure you use small boxes for heavy items. Mark each box with the room and a brief list of contents (I like a thick black marker for this).

It will take more boxes and tape than you think. It always does.

Pack everything you need for the first 48 hours (toiletties, clothes, etc) in a suit case rather than a box so you can find them quickly without going through pile of boxes.

Your goal should be to have everything packed the night before the move, go out for dinner (or talk a friend into having you over) and live out of a suitcase the last night.

When you get to the house, get the bathroom set up with toilet paper, soap, and a towel first. Getting the bed(s) set up is the next priority. Then the appliances/kitchen come next. It takes a while to get everything done, but you need to be able to pee, sleep, and eat while you work on everything else.

Hope this helps.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 9 Old 06-19-2005, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks great tips!
#4 of 9 Old 06-20-2005, 12:16 AM

Get rid of everything you do not love! That is what I am doing right now. Less to move the better.
Make your boxes make sense.
try not to put things that do not belong together- together
Mark the boxes pretty good as to what exactly is in there.
Start saving now for pizza money.... youu will need it!
#5 of 9 Old 06-20-2005, 12:21 AM

CONGRATS ON THE HOUSE BUYING!
Emilie
#6 of 9 Old 06-20-2005, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, now send me good vibes so this thing actually happens. Lots of work needed we're in negotiations with the seller. They are being wonderful!But I'm sure there's only so much they'll do. We hope it all works out. Thanks ladies for the tips!
#7 of 9 Old 06-20-2005, 08:53 PM

If this is going to be a local move, honestly my favorite thing to do is use garbage bag for things like clothes, towels, bedding, etc.. It's easier to carry and easy to throw into the car/truck too. I also adore the rubbermaid storage bins, they are usually a size that is not too overwhelming to carry on your own, OR easily stackable on a dolly (which I REALLY suggest your rent, b/c you can move boxes so much easier with it). I also like to wrap breakable things in things like towels, etc., b/c they are clean (newspaper always seems to make things all dirty again, and I am too lazy to re-wash), and it's like killing two birds with one stone. Oh, and about de-cluttering before moving... do it! DH and I have moved soo many times, and unfortunately, we have several boxes which we keep lugging around w/o ever really emptying. Most of it is old college term papers/notes, etc.. We've both been out of school for over 6 yrs now... I think I am going to have DH just pitch those boxes. Don't keep around old textbooks either unless you use it on a regular basis, it's just extra junk to lug around.

BTW, if you need boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, I suggest you post on your local freecycle group. I am sure there are ppl who recently moved that will be more than happy give that stuff away just to get it out of the house. It will save you a lot of $.
#8 of 9 Old 07-06-2005, 02:40 PM

look on craigslist.com for free boxes. in my area, there have been tons of posts where people just want to get rid of them and they can be expensive.
check out isoldmyhouse.com. i think i remember seeing checklists there. also, look at other realtor sites and moving company sites for checklists.
or just google "moving checklists".
labeling the boxes is impt!
and the things you do love? maybe leave those in the apt. until you get everything else done to ensure they dont get broken!
congrats on the house and welcome to the world of lawn mowing and Home Depot land! (the most dangerous store in the country!).
Rach
#9 of 9 Old 07-06-2005, 04:13 PM

Once you have packed up the stuff that is easy to do like books and clothes you end up with loads of other stuff that you are not sure if you want or not.

When I shipped my world to Mexico from the UK (big mistake in the long run bit that's another story!) I got a 3 bed house down to 350kg!

At the end when I was getting desperate after days of making decisions about what to keep and what to not a friend came over and rescued me.

We cleared out my front room and brought everything into the room piece by piece. The stuff to go was put in the corners by size and the stuff to go was in the middle. She basically told me what to put where and I just did it on autopilot.

I still ended up leaving some stuff as I just had to walk out of the house in the end. A recipe book and a lamp - which the estate agent held on to for months. I bumped in to him months later when I come back, he returned the book and thelamp and now he is my lovely dh.

I still feel tempted to do this in my house (back in the UK) now as we are getting a bit desperate with the amount of stuff we have.

Good luck and I hope your new place makes a great home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page