Give Me Your Tips for an Organized Kitchen - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 11-19-2005, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is what we do:

* magnetic knife holder ($6 at IKEA!)
* 2nd magnetic knife holder, for use with small metal-lidded spice jars (similar to baby-food jars) We buy spices in bulk at Indian Store, then transfer to small clear glass jars.
* Get a hanging kit for the toaster oven.
* NO toaster... we use only the toaster oven!
* Remove as much "carp" as possible from the kitchen counter... makes use and cleaning easier.
* Above-the-stove microwave/hood (was great in our tiny former house.)
* "good" china (something we really don't need) in the dining room, not kitchen.
* fridge with freezer on the bottom. (only problem is toddler can eaily find the ice cream!)

Best regards,

sleeplessMommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 11-21-2005, 01:29 AM

We were able to use two cabinets just for baking supplies. We found that we just couldn't use these two cabinets (one cabinet, two doors, so about 3.5' wide) for anything that we use regularly, as it is right over the dishwasher and in a funky spot. We at first had out plates and glasses here, but you can't unload the clean dishes from the machine into the cabinet as the machine is in the way. And there just wasn't room in the pantry for everything. So my mom came up with the idea of putting as much of the baking supplies as possible in there. I bought these cute little drawers from walmart that are really just little cubbies. They fit on the shelves in the cabinets and I can put all the little baking things in there, like the spices I use only for baking, the dyes and sprinkles, gelatin packets, cake decor tips, etc. All that little stuff that clogs up the drawers. Also in that cabinet are the mixing bowls, all of the morsels, brown sugar, powder sugar, etc in acrylic jars rather than the bags. I don't quite have space for the flour and sugar jars, but I've thought about buying square jars to put on the shelves up there.
As I couldn't get the drawer locks to keep the toddler out (he opens them all except the magnetic kind and they're too pricey to use on all the doors), I put all the sharp things (except the knives, which are in a knife block) in a sliding metal basket in a cabinet. This is a cool thing I got at Bed Bath & Beyond http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=102803&RN=51&
We have a single cabinet on one side under the counter. It was just a spot that filled with crap and was a big pile of mess. So I put this in there and now I put a bunch of bowls on the shelf in front, my loaf pans on the back of it. In the slide-out basket is all the sharp things (cuisinart blades, cheese slicer/grater, etc). Now I don't wonder "Where is that gadget piece?" If it's sharp and it's not a knife, it's in that basket.
We have a pot rack over the counter 'L' that sticks into the middle of the kitchen. Putting up the pot rack made a HUGE difference in our space.
We put all bulk stuff into one cabinet. Also the stock pot and pressure cooker are here.
You know those funky cabinets that are stuck in the corner of the kitchen so you can't reach the back of it? We use that cabinet for all the misc appliance storage. The waffle iron, cake storage box, slow-cooker, pot lid rack in front, rice cooker. The less used things go in back, the more used in front next to the pot lid rack.
We also use the drawer under the stove for pot lids.
We bought a pot lid rack (also at BBB, but I can't find it on the website) that is made of wire so each of the lids stands up next to the other, like a paper organizer
http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...BlockOID=49351
And instead of putting lids in it, we put it into another under-counter cabinet and stuck the cookie sheets and cooling racks into it. Works awesome! This cabinet also has a shelf at the back, so cake pans go onto it over the baking sheets.
I still have a lot of work to do, I hate how much stuff is on my counters. Thanks for getting me thinking about this!
#33 of 42 Old 11-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My absolute FAVORITE de-cluttering book is called "It's Here, Somewhere!" by Alice Fulton and Pauline Hatch. It was written in the late 80's, but it's still very applicable.

The authors tackle one room in each chapter, and have great suggestions for each room. (It's a book about how to get rid of stuff, not just how to rearrange stuff, so the changes can be permanent.)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#34 of 42 Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 AM

I still need lots of help here, but I did free up space by donating the rice cooker and the bread maker. Neither was used enough to justify the space for "one function" items.
#35 of 42 Old 12-02-2005, 02:18 PM

For the past two days, my kitchen has been driving me mad. So yesterday, in a moment of desperation, I de-junked three cabinets. That might not seem like much, but clearing out that space meant I was able to put nearly everything that had been on my counter into a cupboard. So now the only thing on my counter is the pickle crock that holds my utensils. (This morning I spent 5 minutes just staring at my cleared off counters! It was wonderful. )

This weekend, I tackle the bathroom!!!

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#36 of 42 Old 12-21-2005, 12:57 AM

This thread inspired me! I started re-organizing and decluttering my kitchen.

~ I moved my spices from a cabinet into a drawer -- something I've been wanting to do for awhile, but I think I was afraid of the change.

~ I pulled out some Tupperware and two Corningware pieces that I haven't used in about 6 months -- I figure I can get rid of these.

~ I was able to move things around so now I have TWO more (empty) cabinets! And one shelf in another. I'm so happy about this! Because of this I was able to clear off some of my counters. I put my sugar and flour container, coffee grinder, and coffee press away. I was also able to store some accessories that I don't really use for my KitchenAid mixer. Before, I had no place to put them! I also have room to put other things that I use in my kitchen instead of in the diningroom or garage.

~ I rearranged some of my drawers, too. I gained a drawer that I can now use as a 'junk' drawer. Except I never really have a 'junk' drawer because I'm too organized for that. I put 4 plastic bins in the drawer so I can divide my junk. One has my candle lighter, matches, and birthday candles. One has tape, scissors, and pens. One has the clippy things to close cracker bags, etc. And the last one, I am going to use for small toys that I find around the first floor that I don't feel like walking all the way upstairs ( ) to put away.
#37 of 42 Old 12-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Since your friend isn't coming till next week, take everything out of your cabinets now. Over the next week, when you use something, put it back in a cabinet near where you used it.

By the time she arrives, you will know what you use on a daily/weekly basis and in what area of the kitchen you use it. This will really help you organize and declutter. 90% of organizing is getting rid of what you don't use.
#38 of 42 Old 12-21-2005, 10:10 PM

I am getting there with organization. I am still working on keeping breads, and fruits organized. I think I might get a hanging basket for some things and pot rack would be helpful. any other ideas would be helpful as I seem to have clutter and have to keep organinzing

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#39 of 42 Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM

great stuff here ladies...we are just about 3/4 of the way through a total kitchen remodel. I mean total to the studs. we got ikea cabinets and all base cabinets are huge drawers. no more hunting in the back the cabinets. We also got this to use as a pantry. Never have to hunt for anything!

I like the magnetic knife strip idea.
#40 of 42 Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon
I am getting there with organization. I am still working on keeping breads, and fruits organized. I think I might get a hanging basket for some things and pot rack would be helpful. any other ideas would be helpful as I seem to have clutter and have to keep organinzing

I put all my bread (sandwich bread, English muffins, bagels, etc.) in a drawer next to my refridgerator, and put all of my "table fruit" in a basket on the table so that it's easily accessible for my children.

Also, I am lucky enough to have a drawer under my stove, so I store my pots and pans there. (The bonus of this is that I had to streamline my pots and pans in order to make them all fit into the drawer. )

#41 of 42 Old 01-08-2006, 08:45 PM

I still have my spices in the cupboard. I put them all in a clementine orange box and write the name on the cap. I need a spice I take out the box and grab the one I need. I have 2 boxes one for baking and one for cooking.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#42 of 42 Old 01-08-2006, 09:03 PM

Go through your cabinets and pull anything you use once a year- the turkey platter, turkey roaster pan, bundt pan, springform pans, cookie press, ice trays for freezing basil/pesto late summer, the huge pot for making double/triple batches of soup, etc. Put them all in a box/basement, etc. I don't want to get rid of them because I really do use them once or twice a year. Get them out of your kitchen cabinets, pantry (unless you have a HUGE one). This made such a difference in the usability of my kitchen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page