say no to electric can openers! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anybody else out there that has no desire for an electric can opener? Dh family was recently here and freaked that I didn't have one. It was an odd way they said it like I was stupid, poor, and crazy. I use the one my grandfather had in the airforce.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#2 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The home I grew up in didn't have one...I didn't realize that some people consider this a necessity until recently. How hard is it to use a manual can opener? (I'm not talking about people with arthritis or other physical impairments.)

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#3 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 10:28 PM

We don't have one... As a child, every single one we had broke within a couple months. The manual ones do the trick for us!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 10:29 PM

I don't have one either. But my family did when I was growing up.

It was the only way to get the cats to come out of hiding- they were always sure we were opening tuna! :LOL

I remember my sister, age 20, calling me from a friend's house. The friend had only a manual can opener, and I had to try to explain how to use it over the phone. I love my sister.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#5 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 10:29 PM

Blech I hate them! Family members are always shocked when they come to visit and they, gasp, have to actually use a can opener!

Electric ones get all gross. Ew.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#6 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 10:30 PM

My mom has an electric mounted to the cabinet, and MIL thinks I'm a pancake short of a stack for not having an -electric- one that cuts the side of the can (no sharp edge). I use an IMO ~fancy~ manual that does the same thing.

Must be one of those new, new necessities.
#7 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 PM

I am 46 years old and I've never used an electric can opener. I open an average of maybe 2 cans per week, and I've never found it to be unduly burdensome to use the opposable thumbs God gave me to turn a manual can opener for the 15 seconds it takes to open a can. :LOL
#8 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 10:35 PM

We used a wall mounted manual one for years- it came with the house. But it broke I bet it was an antique. I liked it better than any electric one EVER!
Then we got an under the cabinet mounted one. I dont like it as much as my hand held. Fancy chmancy edge cutter offer. :LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikesky
MIL thinks I'm a pancake short of a stack for not having an -electric- one that cuts the side of the can (no sharp edge). I use an IMO ~fancy~ manual that does the same thing.
I do too! I Love it! ( got it from tupperware) I kicked the electric one out because i like it so much! :LOL

Amy
#9 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM

We'd be up ... creek without a paddle if we would rely on one of those with all the power outages we have around here :LOL
I never did see the use in those things.

Same goes for those bulky kitchen machines with all their attachments. My hand mixer does the trick just fine.
And I would rather knead my heavy bread dough by hand and bake it in the oven then wasting money and room on a bread maker where the crust comes out all soft and mushy.

Most of those electrical kitchen gadgets are totally unnecessary and useless. And on top of that they waste energy.

Cinnamon
#10 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
It was the only way to get the cats to come out of hiding- they were always sure we were opening tuna! :LOL
:LOL We have our cat trained on the manual opener. He hears the noise and he knows whats up :LOL

Cinnamon
#11 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My father, brother and myself are somewhat challenged when it comes to using electric can openers so we never had one when I was growing up. I never bought one after I moved out either, my handy-dandy manual can opener works just fine. Every once in a while DH will mention something about getting an electric one, but then he comes to his senses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon
:LOL We have our cat trained on the manual opener. He hears the noise and he knows whats up :LOL
I have 7 cats, and they all come running whenever they hear the manual opener! :LOL

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#12 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
We have a manual one too! I like that I can wash it. Something about the electric one's just seems dirty to me.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#13 of 46 Old 06-21-2005, 11:57 PM

I have never even seen an electric opener in an actual home. No one in my rather large family or any of my friends have one. We all use the manual ones just fine.
#14 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 12:11 AM

How funny, I thought I must be the only one to feel strongly about this! I grew up with electric, now refuse to have one. I hardly ever open any cans, I don't have much room in the kitchen, and the whole concept of an electric can opener strikes me as ridiculous.
#15 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 03:13 AM

I had an electric one for several years but it kept breaking. Then I finally got a manual one and won't go back!
#16 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 04:25 AM

I only have a manual can opener.

We had an electric one growing up, and it made a lot of sense for us then (my father was elderly and ill, and the manual one could be difficult for us kids to use).

I don't have anything against an electric can opener, but I just don't have the need for one.
#17 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 AM

Oh boy- I never thought of it but we have a manual one too. I also have a opener for jars under my cabinets. Its this triaangle thing with a grip on it. If a jar is hard to open, I stick it there and turn- presto! I love my manual can opener and the fact that as said by a pp- I can wash it.

We also have a manual dishwasher that has yet to break down in 8 years of marriage- ME!

DH said if he ever loaded the dishwasher, it would mean getting his wife drunk.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#18 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 02:09 PM

I really like that can opener that crimps the cans and doesn't leave sharp edges. It works great for those super size cans that I buy to get food cheaper in bulk. I only see the electric can opener as being good if you are somewhat physically impared. Otherwise I think it is that laziness that we tend to fall into saying that is convenient...I can think of many more things that fall into this category!
Amys1st your DH's comment cracked me up!
#19 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 02:21 PM

I detest electrc can openers, though I do see their use for people who would have genuine trouble using a manual one. Every person I have known who has one did not *need* one and always thought I was odd for using an" old fashioned" can opener - this would be the point where I would take out the little metal one piece thing you have to repeatedly puncture a can with to get the top off ....

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#20 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Banned

We always had electric ones growing up. I never used a manual one until I got my first apartment but I've never had an electric one since. I just don't see the point. They're ugly so I don't want to have to look at it all the time and they take up room that I just don't have.
#21 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 05:42 PM

We never had an electric one growing up. I never even considered getting one. DH's family uses them and he automatically thought we'd have one... :LOL That was one of the first things I 'over-ruled'! I think they are dirty and gross and WHY do you really need one? It takes just a few seconds to use a manual one. We have one of the 'fancy' manual ones that doesn't leave any sharp edges... I love it AND I can throw it in the dishwasher!
#22 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraMama
I think they are dirty and gross and WHY do you really need one? It takes just a few seconds to use a manual one.
Can you also imagine the gross /germs/stuff left on the electric ones? Yuck!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#23 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 06:41 PM

We always used a manual can opener when I was growing up. When I got married, one of the things I registered for and got was an electric can opener. Biggest waste of money ever. I used to get impatient and would just always pull out the manual one. :LOL DH would still use it though, but when it broke we just never replaced it.

However, my mom now uses an electric can opener now b/c of arthritis in her hands. So I won't say "never again" b/c in that instance I could see myself getting another one.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#24 of 46 Old 06-22-2005, 06:49 PM

I had one growing up...I've used them in my own home...but I gave up on them because every single one I've had has lasted for about a month and then broke for one reason or another. So now I have just a manual one that I use. I had the one from Tupperware...I hated that #$%@%&* thing so bad I threw it away. The one have now is super big and bulky and works great.

jen mom to seven : wife to Rich 16 yrs

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#25 of 46 Old 06-23-2005, 12:37 AM

I agree completely - I only have manual, but... I seem to be having a run of bad luck with them, because they are getting harder to use! I bought a KitchenAid opener about a year ago. It kept skipping so that I had to go around and cut again those small areas that it would skip. Finally, I had had enough, and bought an Oxo opener. It was a bit different than my older and trusty Oxo, but it worked great...for about 3 months. Now, I am having a hard time getting it to grip the can.

I detest electric openers and haven't ever owned one, but I'm currently ISO a manual opener that is going to work well for longer than a few months. Does anyone have a recommendation?
#26 of 46 Old 06-23-2005, 09:59 AM

We bought a Henckels can opener several years ago from Chef's catalog. Its a bit more than your average manual one but it stays sharp and is of good quality.

It was at one of their big sales which happen all the time.

#27 of 46 Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon
Most of those electrical kitchen gadgets are totally unnecessary and useless. And on top of that they waste energy.

I have a couple of manual can openers, a set of knives, a hand mixer (electric, but compact) and a hand grater. My grater is a nice one that fits onto a box lid, so the box neatly holds the grated cheese or veggies. I think I might have a food processor packed away somewhere, haven't needed or used it in years!! I want to get one of those manual egg beaters that looks like a mixer, but winds with a crank rather than electricity.

I do have and use a blender, slow-cooker, and toaster oven. I have a microwave built into the wall, but I try to use it as little as possible.

I'm very glad to be free of my bread maker (I have mixing bowls and hands!!) and rice cooker.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#28 of 46 Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 AM

Oh thank goodness for reminding me! DH won't let go of the stupid electric one we got. It doesn't work! In his determination to keep it (he hates throwing anything out), he spent about five minutes (maybe more) opening a can with that stupid thing just so he could say "See, it opened it, you can't throw it out." Well, as I predicted, he since has forgotten all about it, so now I can sneak it into the trash . He is such a pack-rat .

Quote:
I have 7 cats, and they all come running whenever they hear the manual opener!
Four here, and the same thing! Heck, they come running with the peel-back topped cans! :
#29 of 46 Old 06-24-2005, 10:04 AM

I do love my food processer- We are on our second one. We buy whole blocks of mozzella cheese and shred them and freeze. So its ready whenever we need it. Also it does a great job on chopping!

I hand do my pizza dough unless we plan on grilled pizzas since the processor makes a tougher dough which is needed to grill pizzas.

I got a bread machine for my 21st birthday (many many years ago!) and went thru 2 of those as well. The second one sat in the pantry until my declutter and someone who works for dh wanted it. I just love hand kneading my own bread so no need for that gadget.

As far as the microwave- its not for cooking! Its for reheating etc. We used to only cook popcorn but now we do it right on the stove. It tastes so much better and I use organic corns.

We also never installed the ice maker. We have ice cube trays that work just fine. We have 3 stacked in the freezer and when one is empty, we put water in and stick it at the bottom.

Then only big time gadget is our coffee bean grinder. Its a very expensive gadget that we use every morning. Also our maker/pot was a hefty price but it should last 20 years or so. We also roast our own coffee so we are a bit of snobs for coffee- fair trade/organic blah blah blah. We have coffee every morning and iced lattes (soy for me) at least 4 times a week in the afternoons. If we went to a starbucks or something for our habit we estimate it would be about $1000 annually. But now its a little under $200 a year in the end.

#30 of 46 Old 06-24-2005, 12:39 PM

We have never had one, nor do we want one. I have a hand held one from Pampered Chef that I love We did have an electric one growing up, but neither one of my parents use one now. They had an old one that always worked right, then when that one broke, they never found a good replacement for it so they just gave up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page