Every time I think I’m all done - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-26-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sorting through stuff and throwing it out I find more stuff we don’t need!

I started yesterday and just got done with the 3rd room. I don’t think we have a lot of stuff, but I still keep on finding things, that someone else can actually use while here it’s just sitting around collecting dust.

I just got a big box of school supplies ready for a friend whose daughter is starting school this fall. I have everything on the lists for my own kids and a little extra for when they run out of things. Everything else is just not needed.

I also give her the magazines I’ve read already. I find it a waste of money to just throw them out.

I sorted through all the tools, TV cables, Paint supplies and whatever else you need when you own your own house. I found a lot of stuff we no longer need and threw it out.

Then it was on to youngest DDs room. What a mess! I couldn’t even get to her closet. Two full large bags (the 13 Gallon kind) of nothing but trash (mostly paper) and about 5 hours later her room is organized and clean. She loves having not to search for things but keeping her stuff organized is a real challenge for her. She loves collecting everything from sticks to rocks to those little junky toys in BD Party goody bags. Well it almost all left the room.

Now I get to do the same thing in my oldest DDs room. Who knows what I will find there… :LOL

I don't clean my kids rooms. They do the cleaning and sorting. I just help decide.

What is your style when it comes to decluttering your home? Where does the stuff go? I donate most of it to charity and give away to friends where I know they really need the stuff I no longer use.

I have one rule. If one item comes in another one has to go out. But that only seems to work for the things you deal with on a regular basis. The stuff you use seldom seems to pile up on it's own :LOL

Cinnamon
#2 of 11 Old 06-26-2005, 09:18 PM

Yeah, charity has gotten a lot of stuff from us. A few "big" items have gone on ebay. It's almost like you get addicted to the high you get when you get rid of things and can see your shelves again. I will think I've pretty much gone through everything and then I'll go through again and find more stuff. I wonder if I'll ever get to a point where I can't find anything to get rid of...

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#3 of 11 Old 06-26-2005, 09:39 PM

I know what you mean. I am forever decluttering and reorganizing trying to find a "better" way. Argh. I haven't found one yet, :LOL

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#4 of 11 Old 06-27-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageta
I wonder if I'll ever get to a point where I can't find anything to get rid of...
I don't think so! :LOL
#5 of 11 Old 06-27-2005, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8
I know what you mean. I am forever decluttering and reorganizing trying to find a "better" way. Argh. I haven't found one yet, :LOL
I'm not really looking for a better way, just less stuff :LOL
#6 of 11 Old 06-27-2005, 11:34 PM

the more we get rid of, the more I find to get rid of - though it's slowed down a bit, which hopefully means we're achieving a bit more simplicity. In a bit of 40 week nesting, I e-bayed several wedding gifts that were still hiding away, an old game of dh's, and some cookware I don't use - "Traded it in" so to speak for a board game dh had been hoping for - 5 items out, one in, and no money spent - I like those numbers We still have a few bags that need to be brought to the charity shop when we go by that way. I'm sure baby toys will pose their own challenge once our little one finally!!! makes his/her appearance!
#7 of 11 Old 06-28-2005, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon
What is your style when it comes to decluttering your home? Where does the stuff go? I donate most of it to charity and give away to friends where I know they really need the stuff I no longer use

Cinnamon
Lots of places
Trash- no need to explain
St Vincent depaul society. They have stores and will schedule pick ups- also takes large items. I usually try to do it quarterly.
Donate to rummage sales
Give away- if I have a large play item or furniture etc I will email my moms group and playgroup to see if anyone wants it. 90% of the time its taken. Or I will put it at the curb on trash pickup night. Its usually gone in the am before the pickup.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#8 of 11 Old 08-01-2005, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I am STILL at it! :LOL

Just last week I went through my closet and found plenty of things worth getting rid of. Including bed sheets.

I have enough clothes left to fit in one suitcase and still not having to run around naked :LOL

We also got rid of a few furniture items and lots of nicknacks that I had packed away years ago. I didn't miss them at all.

I think I found a new hobby

Cinnamon
#9 of 11 Old 08-01-2005, 01:26 PM

I'm on a rampage again! Hitting my closet today then dh's. Look out!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#10 of 11 Old 08-06-2005, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

We made it to the shed!!!!

I didn't think this would happen until October. It's just so hot and humid here. But it cooled down to the mid 80's so we took the chance.

DD and I just got done going through all the outdoor toys. (They only consist of beach toys anymore. No big items thankfully) We got rid of about 70% stuff that was broken or just plain not used anymore. Now everything fits in one plastic tote. When we got startet everything was thrown around in 3(!) bins :

I got rid of a few items of my own too. And DH is still at it. There are a few more things I know for sure aren't moving with us. Garbage Day will be fun on monday :LOL

Cinnamon
#11 of 11 Old 08-06-2005, 05:14 PM

I have been decluttering like crazy around here!! The weather has been nice on the weekends and I am almost 6 months pregnant so I think that has something to do with my motivation but I am doing the same thing as you!! When I declutter the "stuff" goes to the following places, depending on what it is:

Sold on ebay or TP
Given back to its owner :LOL
Given to friends
Donated (LLL yardsale every year or library book swap, etc.)
Trash
Freecycle

I feel like I will never be done and with another little girl on the way we are getting more stuff in and keeping things that we certainly will need so I have been doing more organizing and putting away than anything to make room for the new

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page