WWYD if you had mass quantities of clutter, tons of credit card debt, and an - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-30-2005, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
unemployed dh? My dh keeps telling me to sell stuff, but I'm not having any luck. We live way out in the country and yard sales do not do well here. My mom said we could have one at her house, but she thinks it's really too hot right now. Plus, I would have to haul everything to her house.

I am soooo tempted to just start listing everything on freecycle and hope that we will be able to get out of debt sometime in the near future. Actually that's probably what I'm going to do.

Any ideas?
#2 of 17 Old 06-30-2005, 05:43 PM

How about selling stuff on eBay? I've done that in the past when I've hit hard times, and it's been a lifesaver. I buy lots of stuff on eBay these days, and have sold everything from $10.00 items of clothing to my Harley on ebay. I've only had two problems, one as a buyer (but not an expensive item) and once as a seller, where I just waited for the money, and then relisted the item.

There are also business that sell your stuff on eBay for you, and that also might be a good route. I live way out too, but there is one in the nearest town.
I don't know a lot about how they work, but I imagine they charge some kind of commission.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#3 of 17 Old 07-01-2005, 01:40 PM

I second the e-bay idea. Also, where I live there is a weekly classified circular that costs next to nothing to list in. There are also consignment stores that I take kids stuff to, I haven't used the furniture consignment stores, but we have a few around our neck of the woods. Have you heard of CCCS? Consumer Credit Counseling Services. They are a non-profit org that can help you get on track if debt is out of hand. They call the credit card companies, set up monthly payment plan that you can afford, and LOWER your interest rates so more $ goes to the principal. Good luck to you.
#4 of 17 Old 07-01-2005, 01:49 PM

1. Cut up your existing credit cards.
2. Sell what you can on Ebay
3. Someone has to get a job, you or him.
4. Sell anything you don't absolutely need. If only one of you is working, you only need ONE car.
5. Pay off the highest-interest cards first.
6. BEWARE of credit counseling. I heard it's a big scam.
7. Look into bankruptcy. It's not as easy to get the slate wiped clean as it was, because GWB cares so much for the lower- and middle-classes (insert sarcastic tone here) that he got the law changed, but see what options are available. Call a bankruptcy attorney.
8. Cancel any extras, including satellite TV or cable, gym memberships.
9. Shop at Goodwill, Saver's, or the Salvation Army.
10. Cut coupons and use them.
11. No eating out, video rental, or movie theater visits.
12. No nail salon, professional haircuts, leg/bikini waxes, etc.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsalf97
unemployed dh? My dh keeps telling me to sell stuff, but I'm not having any luck. We live way out in the country and yard sales do not do well here. My mom said we could have one at her house, but she thinks it's really too hot right now. Plus, I would have to haul everything to her house.

I am soooo tempted to just start listing everything on freecycle and hope that we will be able to get out of debt sometime in the near future. Actually that's probably what I'm going to do.

Any ideas?
#5 of 17 Old 07-01-2005, 01:53 PM

Some places cover you if you purchased unemployment ins for that card. They make payments for you. Check to see if any have that.

Maybe it is time to find a less expensive place to live, like an apartment in the city. That would make transportation cheaper too.
#6 of 17 Old 07-01-2005, 03:04 PM

Some Credit counceling services are not non profit. CCCS is not a scam. I used them a few years back and GOT OUT OF DEBT. I was single and looking into bankruptcy. They helped me. Just my experience. Good Luck.
#7 of 17 Old 07-01-2005, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
you've got some good tips already. I would sell everything you can on Ebay, give/throw away the rest. Getting the clutter out of your house will make it easier to get out of debt. Not only will you get some money, ruthlessly decluttering will change your spending habits.

Also, one of you has to get a job.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#8 of 17 Old 07-05-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane-t-mommy
Some Credit counceling services are not non profit. CCCS is not a scam. I used them a few years back and GOT OUT OF DEBT. I was single and looking into bankruptcy. They helped me. Just my experience. Good Luck.
You can still file bankrupcty under the old law if you do it NOW, because the new law doesn't go into effect till 6 months after being signed into law.

I think the thing with credit counseling is that you need to avoid the ones that put a second mortgage on your home and just refinance the debt with a mortgage, you know the ones that are only for "homeowners." That's not real credit counseling. REAL credit counseling can really help you. CCCS is a real one that's probably been around the longest. I can tell you from a creditor's point of view, we are more than happy to work with CCCS and we do drop interest and things like that to make it work.

Single mom of 2 boys
#9 of 17 Old 07-05-2005, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
6. BEWARE of credit counseling. I heard it's a big scam.
Don't be wary of it, get educated about it. There ARE deceitful companies out there that masquerade as the origional organization. But CCCS is a legitimate organization that has helped countless people get out of debt.

http://www.nfcc.org/

Lots of great advice here. I'll only ad, hang in there. Hard times can be discouraging.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#10 of 17 Old 07-10-2005, 06:19 PM

First call the places you owe money to, credit counselling services can often appear on your credit history etc. Better to do it yourself. Explain your situation and that you want to work with them not declare bankrupsy or any other pay a percentage solution (as those are often looked at like a bank.)

You can ask them for a lower interest rate (and keep calling you'll get it they want their money and really 10% is still 2X prime these days, they can take the hit). Work out a feasible monthly payment plan, and be on time even if its $25 dollars a month.

See if there are counselling services for finances that will not show up on your credit, get help with bugeting and figuring out where you are running into problems, and how much money you need at a min to live.

Plan for a garage sale at your moms and I am sure you visit haul a little at a time, maybe a weekend in late August? I think you will make more with less hassles than on ebay once you figure time, going to post things, answer questions,ebay fees. Plus its all cash

And your mom might toss in some of her clutter to help you out.

Or you can donate stuff for a tax reciept if that would help you out at all.

I am not sure if you own your living space? You can rent a room, or outright sell it, home equity loans are probably not a safe bet in your position.

If you want to stay home you could always become a foster parent..

Regardless its probably a great idea to get rid of all the extra stuff you don't need as if you have to move farther away if dh gets a job out of area, the more crap you move the more it costs you!

8 might be enough
#11 of 17 Old 07-12-2005, 11:24 PM

I have had the same situation as you for a while, and we're just getting out of it now--dh finally finished his Ph.D and got a (low paying) job. But the sale of our house will get us out of debt.

Have you read Your Money or Your Life? Look up the Simple Living Discussion Forums on the internet; you'll fine lots of company and support in your quest to declutter, rearrange your priorites, and get out of debt. You'll "see" me there too!

Kathleen E.
#12 of 17 Old 07-12-2005, 11:33 PM

ebay for things of value, goodwill or other charities for things that are less valuable so you get the tax write off...and put your dh to work organizing the clutter

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 17 Old 07-19-2005, 04:52 AM

nak

About the debt problem... be sure to visit www.creditboards.com . Lots of help there

GL!
#14 of 17 Old 07-26-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsalf97
unemployed dh? My dh keeps telling me to sell stuff, Any ideas?
Hmmm.... If your dh is unemployed, why doesn't HE sell the stuff instead of telling YOU to do it? He would be earning some money for the family then, no? Why do YOU have to schlepp the stuff to your mother's? I am just wondering this, not knowing any of the facts.
#15 of 17 Old 07-26-2005, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
i would go to a debt consolidator and see what they have to say. u already have been given good links. i am in ur situation except that i am a single parent in a low paying job and all my debt is from my marriage. so i went to a credited debt consol. who pretty much indirectly told me bankruptcy was my best option, described homeless would be my next step if i lost my job, told me to get food stamps. i am in the process of filing for bankruptcy since i have no plans in future to help me out of debt. i am going to get a friend help me with my clutter since it is all mine and i am having a hard time letting go off things. most of it is useless stuff so i am not selling. but i would defintely sell since u need the money insteadof giving it away. u may have to hold on it for a little while but at least u will be making some money out of it.

before u plan for bankrupcy check and see what ur plans are for the next 6 months. can u start paying at least some minimum payments. do u think in a while u will be able to clear ur debt. mine is so overwhelming that there is no way i can manage it on my own even if i got a great paying job tomorrow.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#16 of 17 Old 08-02-2005, 02:38 AM

While CCCS is fine, they don't do anything special that you can't do for yourselves. You can call all your credit card companies and arrange to work out payment deals with them. The bigger companies are usually o.k. with that. I've heard that seeing a debt consolidation plan on your credit (like CCCS would do) is roughly the equivalent of seeing bankruptcy on your credit. We've been bankrupt before (filed without an expensive bankruptcy attorney) and because of DH's job stability after finally getting a job, we were able to buy a home and a car in spite of our bad credit. We had high interest on them both but were always on time with our payments and after a year of good credit-rebuilding history, we were able to refinance down to very reasonable interest rates.

Yeah, debt sucks. We sure learned our lesson.

hang.gif  

#17 of 17 Old 08-02-2005, 07:04 PM

I called my CC co. many times to get them to lower the rate and they refused. Finally I went to CCCS, and I have about 3.5 yrs left to pay off my CC - then I will work on paying down my school loans! I am living with my mom, which helps. Basically, look at every bill/ payment and see where you can reduce. I'd try to post some things on the TP, and then on ebay (who has fees, but more people looking). Big items like cribs/furniture should go to a yard sale, as well as heavy items or fragile things. Cute-sy things also do well at a yard sale. When pricing look try to thing about what you would pay, and then lower it a bit (no one knows how useful the item REALLY is until they take it home). Remember, if people thing they are getting a "deal" they will buy more. Finally, just freecycle/give away anything that doesn't sell - it is not worth your time/money to relist or have another garage sale. If you don't want to have it at your Mom's, talk to neighbors and see if every ne wants to have a sale on the same day, and then advetise in a large area. Garage salers are willing to drive for larger/multiple family sales!

GL!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page