the simplified wardrobe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-03-2005, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I very much DO care about how I look and like to keep up with some trends. Sometimes I fantasize about going Georgia O'Keefe style with just a couple of black or white dresses.

Tell me about your simplified wardrobe! I am a grad student/future elementary school teacher/sahm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-03-2005, 08:57 AM

I do jeans and shirts - think Lands End. They coordinate easily and I can be somewhat in style. Shoes are birks with hand-knit socks. I do have a pair of khaki pants for when I want to be a little more dressy than jeans, and a nice pair of black pants when I want some serious dressy-casual. My shirts go well with both. That's my strategy.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#3 of 10 Old 07-03-2005, 11:05 AM

I'm no fashion guru, but I finally hit on a strategy that seems to work well for me. I own several pairs of slacks in dark colors: black, brown, gray and one pair of jeans. I have a number of fitted solid-color tops (both knit and button-down cotton) that I mix and match with said pants. I also keep a black 'suit jacket' that can go over any of the tops for a more business-y feel.

I don't wear skirts often, but I also have a few brightly colored skirts that I pair with a black knit top. A few pairs of black dress shoes (for dressy) and sandals (for casual) and I'm good to go.

At home, I'm pretty casual... I tend to wear workout pants and T-shirts, or strappy tanks and shorts (depending on how hot it is).

Several times a year I go through my clothes and jettison any that I haven't worn for a year (or any that don't feel quite right to me). It's gotten a little more complicated since I started a 'real' job, but I own far less clothes than my T-shirt/jean obsessed DH.
#4 of 10 Old 07-03-2005, 11:43 PM

My summer wardrobe is a couple patchwork skirts that will match basically any shirt I own. I have a couple nursing t's, and a bunch of regular t's. I go through a lot of shirts b/c ds4 is a puker, :LOL. I have recently added two pairs of capris for when I want to be casual and a couple pairs of shorts for the super hot weather. I have two pairs of birks for summer and one pair of birk clogs for winter. In winter I go with mostly knit type or yoga pants with long sleeve t's that match everything.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-05-2005, 10:09 AM

Hi There :
We have similar values.
We also believe in Homebirth, Homeschooling, Nursing until they can read or until they no longer wish to, and keeping those boys intact!
Also we are a Catholic family with 7 children 5 dogs
I went onto this thread as my goal is to only have what I look good in hanging in my closet.
I already have donated a mini van full of stuff to our church resale
As I am nursing our two year old son and also trying to conceive I am tackling my closet and litterally getting rid of 99% of it.
Maybe hanging my maternity in there will bring me good luck
So tired of searching for things to wear and they not fit me.
5 feet 2 inches and 160lbs yikes gained a bit since my size 6 days!
Truly never benn this size before size 14 to 16.
So why am I keeping all those size 6 in my closet to depress me HELLO!!!!
OK off to declutter somemore and dust the treadmill
Love and Peace,
Cindy
#6 of 10 Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 AM

My look, and I'm going to go ahead and sound cheesy here, might be considered "yoga chic" :LOL

I like pretty colors, generally darker on the bottom and light on top, of fitted yet stretchy, comfy seperates that mix and match. I know a lot of people abhore the workout clothes as streetclothes look, but not me. I have a very physically demanding SAHM career, and I need clothes I can move in. Also, I like to wear bra-tops instead of a bra, so that's a good thing too.

As for shoes, litle flat running shoes or flip flops are pretty much it. Oh, and I've been wearing Ugg boots since 1995 so I will continue to even though they are considered passe

When I absolutely have to, I have a few dressier items, too. I don't wear them too often though. We live in a very casual resort town.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#7 of 10 Old 07-05-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood
Hi There :
We have similar values.
We also believe in Homebirth, Homeschooling, Nursing until they can read or until they no longer wish to, and keeping those boys intact!
Also we are a Catholic family with 7 children 5 dogs
I went onto this thread as my goal is to only have what I look good in hanging in my closet.
I already have donated a mini van full of stuff to our church resale
As I am nursing our two year old son and also trying to conceive I am tackling my closet and litterally getting rid of 99% of it.
Maybe hanging my maternity in there will bring me good luck
So tired of searching for things to wear and they not fit me.
5 feet 2 inches and 160lbs yikes gained a bit since my size 6 days!
Truly never benn this size before size 14 to 16.
So why am I keeping all those size 6 in my closet to depress me HELLO!!!!
OK off to declutter somemore and dust the treadmill
Love and Peace,
Cindy

Hi there! I'm depressed about my size too but I know alot of it has to do with being pregnant every other year, or sooner, :LOL Got rid of my size sixes last pregnancy.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 10 Old 07-05-2005, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdypea
I know a lot of people abhore the workout clothes as streetclothes look, but not me.

Oh, and I've been wearing Ugg boots since 1995 so I will continue to even though they are considered passe
I like the yoga look! I think it's kinda classy! I'd wear all that stuff too, if I didn't look more like a sausage in yoga sweats.

And Uggs are passe?! Noooo! Maybe our town is just behind the times (quite possible), because I think they only came on the scene a year or so ago. I know they've been around for years.

I like a lot of stuff from Eddie Bauer, and it all seems to mix and match. I've been buying a shirt here, shorts there so that over the past 5 years I've built up a decent week's worth of clothes.

And it's Teva sandles in the summer, sneakers all winter for me.

Meant to say that what I don't particularly like (like it matters) is pajama pants and furry slippers in public. That's just- I dunno, goofy, imo. But it's just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, anybody who likes to dress that way.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#9 of 10 Old 07-05-2005, 05:00 PM

OT but did you know some children don't read until they are like ten or eleven????? : I would totally have to relactate for my seven, nine and twelve year old to take your advise :LOL
#10 of 10 Old 07-06-2005, 12:00 AM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page