My Mom did this to me - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-06-2005, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PHP Code:
My mom was sooo proud of me she came over to my house while I was at work and unloaded two full vanfulls of boxes into my garageIt was everything she had saved from my childhoodbirthday cards wrapping paper pictures girl scout uniforms t ball uniforms everything
Wasn't that nice of her????? :
#2 of 8 Old 07-06-2005, 03:56 PM

LMAO. I sense a note of sarcasm so I won't even asnwer your question regarding whether it was nice of her. But still, lol.

When I moved to another state to go to grad school I packed a car with some of my belongings, and my parents were coming down two days later with a uhaul full of furniture and my other stuff. I had everything carefully packed. I did not pack things I did not think I would need.

Mom, however, did.

When they arrived at my new apartment they opened the UHaul and it was PACKED TIGHT with my belongings, including said wrapping paper drawings, girl scout uniforms, etc etc etc. I guess mom was ready to purge her closets of my junk. We laugh about it now, and I give her a hard time. I see where she was coming from, but at the time it was like "gee, ma, do you want me to even come back home, ever?" (snicker - I also know the answer to *that* question, lol).

Anyway - I sympathize with you!

Tamara
#3 of 8 Old 07-06-2005, 11:16 PM

My mom did it too. It's awful! She saved EVERYTHING! I save nothing for my kids. They have photos and that's it. I still have half a dozen boxes in the basement to go through. Last year I went through about 10 (actually I just threw them away unopened). Who needs/wants that stuff? :

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-08-2005, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8
Last year I went through about 10 (actually I just threw them away unopened). Who needs/wants that stuff? :
I hope to one day be able to do this. Blindly chucking the trash. but I keep looking, like a train wreck I tell ya.

Well at least I'm not alone..... thanks ladies
#5 of 8 Old 07-09-2005, 03:19 AM

My parents didn't save anything. Really, nothing. THere are a handful of pictures from when we were kids, but that's it! It used to make me sad, now I'm grateful.
My dh's father brings boxes of junk everytime he visits. All kinds of junk that was my husbands when he was a kid. It's crazy! Then my kids get into it and want to keep it all, lol, that's what we need, more junk, old junk!!!!
#6 of 8 Old 07-09-2005, 09:41 AM

:LOL

I'm laughing because I know exectly what you mean.
When I was in college, and had moved out of the dorms into my first apartment my mother shipped 12 huge, oversized packeages to me. They were full of all of "my" stuff...GS uniforms, rollerskates, old shoes(?), folders full of old school work...AND, she sent it all as my birthday present.
#7 of 8 Old 07-10-2005, 04:34 PM

Timely thread! I was just pulling junk out of my closet, which includes my cabbage patch kid from when I was a wee one. I've been wondering if I should pitch it or give it to my daughter to play with. (Because she really needs more toys. <insert sarcastic smiley here>) Which got me to thinking about what I should save for her... After reading these posts I think I should just save her the grief and pitch her junk now. :LOL

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#8 of 8 Old 07-11-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

and I hit the wrong button. But man I was HIT by my Mom doing that. Like a month before we got married, too!

I still have some boxes from that, (6 years later) and that's on top of the baby dolls and Barbies I kept "for my daughter." I have given her a couple of my dolls, but she doens't play with them at all, in favor of the two other folks have given her. So they're marked for tossing. She will only love them if I try to give them away!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page