How have you organized the toys of yor children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We tried the bins but it didn't work well with a toy dumper.

I'm looking at shelving.

I have an idea to put up a play mirror, one of those long full length ones sideways, and putting a shelf with pegs underneath for the boys hats and such. They love to look in the mirror.

Other than that I"m looking at boring shelves...any ideas??

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 05:45 PM

I wish I could help you!! We've tried bins. I've tried a 9 block organizer shelf system and I have bigtime toy dumpers. I'm thinking of getting rid of much more (maybe having a garage sale) when we get back from our trip and hoping they can keep less, a little more tidy

Chris Mama of J, A, C and M
Surromama of four
#3 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 PM

I got the pottery barn kids train/coffee table with the two rolly bins underneath, a 5 shelf leaning bookshelf from ikea for all the plush, and then after the 2 birthdays this month I got a two shelf bookcase from cost plus and 6 grass bins with handles and ALL the toys fit!! woo hoo!!

:2bfbabe:

edited to add link to pics of new bookcase

my blog
#4 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we have most of their toys packed cause we haven't gotten to them. I'm not sure what will happen when they are unpacked!

#5 of 13 Old 07-16-2005, 02:18 AM

Biggest step was to get rid of as much as possible. Like most people we got overwhelmed early on when the boys were small but as they moved out of a phase I just threw it all away (or gave it away), and I learned to buy less and less. There's a lot of things banned in this house - textas, playdough, paints, that is what kindergarten is for! So no messy draw on the walls toys. No gazillion ride ons, etc. So toychests in their rooms with small baskets to bring out and rotate toys int he family room was ample. When Eliza was conceived 5 years later we'd moved on totally from babyhood and had no toys at all in the house like that and I just havent brought them. She has what she's been given - a toybox full of little stuff, dolls, teddies, Dorothy the Dinosaur tail, a few puzzles - she also has a ride on and a dolls pram and that's it. She never plays with the stuff in her bedroom becuase I never think to get it out. She pushes her dolls pram around and plays with whatever she finds, usually something belonging to the boys. She doesnt need much.
#6 of 13 Old 07-16-2005, 10:04 AM

Get rid of stuff! I have one huge basket with a lid- pretty looking- from Big Lots-( woven look) and that is to throw bunches of stuff in.
My mom just got me at a yard sale- a toy chest with a chest part and baskets- maybe 8 baskets- to put cars- smaller toys etc.
I plan to cut pics out of a car- put it on one basket- animal on another- you get the idea. This is what they do in daycares( good ones IMO)- and it is helpful teaching young children not just to put things up- but to put them up where they belong( I could definetly use that lesson!)
I am also ridding myself of stuffed toys. Ds does not play with but a few- and I will keep SPECIAL ones( the one he looked at his first few months on the changing table)
and that is it.
We are moving so it is easy- I do not want to move stuff I do not want AGAIN!
Emilie
#7 of 13 Old 07-19-2005, 02:57 AM

I have 3 plastic tubs, and I keep everything separated. Dolls and stuffed animals in one tub, bigger toys in the 2nd bin, and any toy with smaller pieces in the 3rd bin. DD doesn't dump them out, but my nephews do, so whenever they're coming over, I take 2 of the bins and put them away. That way the kids can dump out the toys if they want to, and when it's time to clean up, I just throw everything back into the bin, it's quick and easy, and the toys stay organized.

You could modify the system a little bit, separate the toys into a few categories, buy tubs for each category, and then allow the kids to just have one tub accessible at all times. I use big plastic round tubs with handles (no lid), they're like $5 or $10 at Target and similar stores.
#8 of 13 Old 07-19-2005, 03:24 AM

The first step for us was getting rid of a lot of things--I mean, really, how many toys and stuffed animals do children need? We have two drawers in our living room for DD's wooden blocks and train set and one drawer for DS toys. DD's play kitchen in in our dining room and it has shelves for her pots/pans and play food. We also have a bookshelf in the living room for some of their books. In their bedroom they have another bookshelf for the rest of their books. A wooden toybox that is practically empty (they don't have enough toys to put much in it), shelves in the closet to hold their stuffed animals and dolls. They also have two plastic shoeboxes for magnetic dolls and clothes (like paperdolls) and one with wooden tools.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#9 of 13 Old 07-19-2005, 12:23 PM

IKEA and Costco have been our friends. OK-- his room happens to be clean so I ran up to take pix for this post. :

From Costco I got the Seville Classics Cubes in color. From IKEA I got little hooks and waste paper baskets (1.00 each). We hang the backpacks and dress up vests on the sides of the cube with the IKEA hooks. You can see there is a shelf we actually have inverted on top of the cubes; it is like that because these rental walls are CRAPPY and won't support it's weight. It will be hung normally when we move.

http://www.wolfmeisters.com/July05/nickwall.jpg
http://www.wolfmeisters.com/July05/nickbucket.jpg
http://www.wolfmeisters.com/July05/nicktoy.jpg

We keep the bigger bulkier toys in the toy box, and use a long, shallow rubbermaid container (in the closet) for the wooden train tracks a la Thomas.

Downstairs in the school room (we do home-based Montessori), we have everything on low shelving.

-------
Being Montessori-minded, it is very important to me to have a prepared environment for the children. The rest of the house is getting there in terms of organization, but we're not as "done" as the kids' rooms. They mess it up, to be sure, but they are learning that is is relatively simple to repair and clean up. I would like them to know from early childhood how to avoid becoming a grown-up Messy like me.
#10 of 13 Old 07-19-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

We got rid of about 2/3 of the boys toys. Our biggest issue is that Tracy doesn't play with toys. He dumps them and throws them. Then he doesn't even let Bryce play because he wants to throw his toys too

I've got some ideas, here and from other places, so I think we have at least a game plan

#11 of 13 Old 07-21-2005, 06:35 PM

Lucky for us, we have a spirited child (our youngest), who can't handle things out of place. I use medium sized storage tubs in the toy room. There's one for dress-up clothes, stuffed animals, dolls and their clothes, puzzle box, game box, and the thing box (everything that doesn't fit into a category). Each tub is either a different color or different shape. That way they have an easier time cleaning up and each tub remains the same for our youngest.
#12 of 13 Old 07-23-2005, 04:54 PM

We just had this built in storage system/cabinet/shelves built. It makes such a difference! I got Sterlite bins to go in the cabinets. Everything is labeled and everything has a place.

In Emma's room, she basically stores everything under her loft.

John is only 10 months old, so he doesn't have much. But he has a bit of storage in his room.
#13 of 13 Old 07-23-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
We just had this built in storage system/cabinet/shelves built. It makes such a difference! I got Sterlite bins to go in the cabinets. Everything is labeled and everything has a place.
You made me sad! We had this done in our home when my first child was a baby... and then moved months later. We still haven't recovered form losing these built ins. I believe you when you say you love them. They're such an amazing helper!

Quote:
John is only 10 months old, so he doesn't have much. But he has a bit of storage in his room.
I think we have the same crib! Does yours have a slide out drawer beneath it? That's where we keep all the cloth diapers!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page