Small space mamas share your wisdom here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-12-2005, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in a one bedroom condo - 3 of us. dh, dd and I. I just spent all day cleaning out the place and sent 6 bags of stuff to charity and boxed up some things to go to storage in my mil's basement. I am amazed how much stuff we accumulate - we've only been here a few months. It was very releaving to get rid of the stuff and to leave each area organized and functional. I still need to clean out the little storage 'closet' we have but it is really small - not much can fit in there - just a couple of boxes. I have found that if you don't keep up with it, a small space can feel really out of hand quickly.

I have purged and purged and purged since we moved here from our 3 br. house with a 2 car garage and extra storage in tall crawl space but I have to say that I'm glad to be rid of the stuff - just sits around collecting dust and cluttering up my daily activities and mind. It's so much easier for dh to know where things go when it's simple and obvious. Saves me time in the long run.

It has been a real eye opener for me about consumerism and changing my spending habits when I have no where to put new things I used to bring home. I still have things to get rid of at my mil's house - plan to do a yard sale or ebay or freecycle, but atleast it's all sorted and ready to go now. Any other small space mamas out there that make it work?
#2 of 3 Old 07-12-2005, 01:38 AM

we purged alot before we moved and im still purging! its tough on me sinse ive always been a pack rat but im getting sooo much better!!!
For storage i use alot of totes sinse they are stackable and storage on walls!
#3 of 3 Old 07-12-2005, 02:03 AM

we went from a 2 bedroom (double) house with an attic, basement, and garage...to a 2 bedroom trailer (mobile home). thats it. lol. no storage. we can put some things underneath the actual trailer, but we are careful because of dampness and animals/amphibians so its mostly outdoor stuff and a few sealed containers of seasonal clothing that will probably be ruined anyway

it has been great, though..getting rid of stuff.
we have used my inlaws basement for stuff like camping equipment and certain special furniture items we cant fit now, but dont want to part with (large dresser, vintage chairs, etc)

my husband still has most of his tools and work equipment in the garage at the old house (we still own it), but can only use the garage because people live in and use the actual house and attic, etc. but alot of that can be moved whenever we get the money/time to build a small out-building/shed on the lot here.

we gave away so much stuff, had a few garage sales (but mostly just gave the stuff away) freecycled quite a bit....and I still find I am donating at least a bag a week of misc. stuff.

the worst part is that when you live in a small space, you almost OVER organize and utilize the storage you do have, so that if everything isnt in its exact place, the whole house/room looks like a disaster...and its such a pain to get to things. we mostly have to get dressers/shelves/bookcases that are tall as opposed to wide/long, and that uses the space better.

now with another baby coming, we have to clear out half of my dd's clothes to share the one dresser for 'kids' (my dh and I share a wardrobe for our stuff) which is hard....luckily most of her toys are pretty nuetral/age-less....so those can be kept and just shared.

the next worst part is gifts. last x-mas was our first 'gift' holiday here, and telling people to please ease up on gifts was hard. they thought we were being jerks before, but now its a nessessity....there is really NO room.
my dd's b-day is coming, and then this baby a few weeks later, then x-mas a month or so later....I am really worried about gifts and room. we do the 'one in-one out' thing with clothes and shoes and stuff now, but we like all her toys, I worked hard to get her quality wood/natural toys and dont want to have to lose them when they should be just as enjoyed by this next child.

what i also do with misc stuff is lend it out....we have some stuff I am just not using enough at the moment to try and store, so i see if someone I know can use it for awhile, and lend it out. I did that with my serger, and am gunna do it for my learning tower which had to come down for space considerations in the kitchen....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page