Storing ds' clothes without a dresser - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-12-2005, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We may not have a dresser before ds is born and I'm not sure what I should do to store his clothes. Anyone have a cheap idea?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-12-2005, 11:19 AM

I had dd's clothes in one of those plastic rolling carts with 3 drawers. It was cheap, I'm thinking $10-12. She is 3 now and she still doesn't have a dresser, we just bought a second cart.
#3 of 15 Old 07-12-2005, 12:05 PM

I have been using a bookcase. We've put baskets on some of the shelves for some of the smaller items, like socks and hats. It's working ok so far... think of the displays when you go into a nicer store, and you get the gist.
#4 of 15 Old 07-12-2005, 01:15 PM

I organize dd's clothes in stacks in her crib I *had* to buy when pregnant and have never used for its intended purpose (booooo! I know that's not organized).

What I'm supposed to be doing, however, is using baskets in a bookshelf, as suggested by a previous poster. I love this system, and it can be used for so many different things - clothes now, toys later (if we ever get that dresser, lol). I've also used the hanging "sweater shelves" for the closet to store dd's linens, and in other rooms in the house have used the plastic drawers on wheels (use them for clothes, for office supplies, for bath stuff - they are versitile and can be moved around). In college I used the cardboard cheap-o drawers you buy and assemble. Those lasted me 6+ years of active use (for underwear, socks, etc) and I still store fabric in one of them (tossed the other after a horrible moving incident)
#5 of 15 Old 07-12-2005, 01:54 PM

I got a 4 stack of yaffa blocks at bed bath and beyond and then just used crates as drawers (or you could just stack the clothes in the blocks)

http://www.yaffainc.com/

Or you could just use clothes basket method as we do for a lot of our clothes (because they sit clean in baskets until we wear them so much of the time! :LOL )

We have a 2 story house so I will put the everyday clothes (sweats, t-shirts, other things that don't need to be hung up) in clothes baskets at the top of the laundry closet so I don't have to run upstairs every time she needs a clothes change. I plan on doing the same with sleepers and other "around the house clothes" for the new baby. Anything nice that needs to be hung up goes in the closet upstairs.
#6 of 15 Old 07-16-2005, 10:56 AM

Love the bookcase idea! Does this take up less space tho?
The bookcase we have that is not being used I would worry ds would tip over onto himself!
That sounds really nice tho- I too have no dresser for new baby and have been wondering the same!
Emilie
#7 of 15 Old 07-16-2005, 05:28 PM

We have a couple shelves in the closet & everything else hangs. For small baby clothes, those fabric shelf racks that hang in the closet worked great. I don't know how to explain it, so I'll try to find a link.

Here's one (although I think we got ours for abour $3!)

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog...e3aaf3bf3ec1e7

If you don't have a closet, either, maybe you could use baskets/bins under the bed/crib.
#8 of 15 Old 07-16-2005, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My baby (now 16 mos) has all his clothes in one of those cheap plastic rolling drawer units. It was supposed to be temporary till we got him a dresser but what's the rush?

I see dressers on our local freecycle all the time. Go to www.freecycle.org and sign up!
#9 of 15 Old 07-22-2005, 07:19 PM

I did the yaffa thing. I also like to put "outfits" on hangers. When I get ready to fold laundry, I grab all the empty hangers and skip the folding part.

You can also do what I've done a lot of - leaving things unfolded in laundry basket or in the dryer. But that's not very organized, I guess.
#10 of 15 Old 07-23-2005, 10:51 AM

Even better - if you hang the clothes to dry on hangers you just bring them in and hang them straight up.
#11 of 15 Old 07-23-2005, 03:58 PM

Not using a dresser is a good idea. Children can pull out the drawers and climb up on them and get hurt or worse. We had that happen localy not too long ago.

We have three boys in one room and have two plastic drawers underneath for the small items. Everything else gets hung up.

With my first in our room we had two laundry baskets under his crib and one was clean and the other was dirty. I loved that!

I often do that now. I have a laundry basket for dirty clothes in the boys room. When it's full I wash their clothes together. Otherwise I end up with clothes all over my room if we wash theirs with ours. Sometimes, if it's too late or I'm too tired I just put the clean basket in their room.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#12 of 15 Old 07-23-2005, 10:50 PM

If you already have the bookcase, I would use that and just bolt it to the wall with childproofing devices (sorry don't remember the name) designed for that purpose. Or if you get a dresser for free/cheap, you can put child proof locks on the drawers and also bolt it to the wall. My dd#1 has always been a real climber and that's what I did with her dresser and she can't climb it or pull it on herself. With a bookcase a child could still climb, I suppose.

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000
#13 of 15 Old 07-28-2005, 10:30 PM

I use a shoe bag (for panties, socks, hats, leotards, jammies, small extras), hang dresses, and trashpicked a dresser. The top drawer was missing so I took out the second drawer, cut out the section between them, and put three bamboo picnic baskets in as drawers. Those hold shirts, pants, and sweaters. The lower drawers hold things not used so often. The whole thing is painted cream. It's very Pottery Barn and cost $36 for the baskets.
#14 of 15 Old 07-28-2005, 10:34 PM

we used lined baskets on shelves for the first few months when dd was born.
#15 of 15 Old 07-28-2005, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We did the rolling cart thing too. They both have managed to break their dressers by trying to scale the front. Thank God they were wall-anchored.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page