Help me get started selling on ebay - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been meaning to do this for a long time, but now, I really MUST list some things that are sitting around on ebay. We have some expenses and need the extra income.

I have things like some cloth diapers, books, school supplies that we won't be using (things that looked good at the time), an old camera and some toys.

I can have dh take pictures of the items and then what? We are registered to sell, but haven't done it yet.

Any suggestions as to how to get started and how to make it work?

Thanks very much in advance

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 08:50 PM

Have you bought anything on ebay so that you have some positive feedback? Many buyers hesitate to buy from a new seller with few feedback so perhaps buy a few low priced, consumable items and pay quickly, leave feedback, etc. Then just go for it!

I like to list related items together. So one week I'll do all cloth diapers, the next all outgrown clothes, etc. That way there is more temptation to bid on more than one item.

Offer combined shipping for multiple wins and keep your shipping low. I refuse to bid on things that have high shipping.

I don't bother with gallery, reserve or buy it now options. I keep my listing fees low that way.

Try to have your auctions end on a Sunday evening if possible.

Don't junk up your listing with a bunch of layout stuff. Keep it simple and to the point.

Start at a price you would be willing to sell at. There are so many items for sale that lots of things sell for the opening bid. I don't start anything under $1.99 because after fees and such, there is no profit for anything less.

Get a premier account with Paypal so you can take credit card payments. Yes, there are extra fees but it is worth it to make it easier for buyers to pay. Just include the fee in your price.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 07-12-2005, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Cynthia!

We have a score of around 80 to 100 on ebay as buyers for several years. So, not a lot, but all good feedback.

Another question, do I need a scale? Is there a tip for estimating shipping?

That is a great idea about listing like items.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 07-13-2005, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyncyn
Try to have your auctions end on a Sunday evening if possible.
: Just curious as to why to have the auctions end on Sunday evenings??? Dh sells alot on ebay but I am pretty new to it and still learning. Thanks for the tips, Cynthia!
Old 07-13-2005, 02:53 AM

ebay has a lot of fees. i agree with the previous post...i never use the "extras" that cost alot. use ebay turbo listing to download a bunch of your stuff at one time (e.g., if you want it all to be downloaded on Sunday, you can simply do the work on Friday and then "upload" on Sunday).
i start with low listing fees due to the fees. if you have books, list them on half.com. there is no listing fee and it stays there until it sells.
i use a program that allows me to put up to 6 pix in the description and then gives me a html code to add to my description on ebay turbo (if you dont know any of these, pm me and ill send you more info.).
i make sure my shipping is calculated (other than books) using the calculator so i dont end up paying for shipping. i offer shipping insurance but its at the buyer's cost.
i use a united states postal service address label that allows me to print the buyer's address (its not prepaid so there is no fee) and allows me to use delivery confirmation for 13 cents (alot cheaper than if you buy it at the post office). it also has an address book so i have a list of who purchased from me. mostly, i sell books on half.com but do sell some things on ebay if i dont need them anymore.
i dont do the anadale thing b/c its another expense and there is a free counter provided.
thats about all i can think of at 1am!!
Good luck,
Rach
Old 07-13-2005, 03:10 PM

I did buy a small postal scale at Target (I think). Less than $20 and it is great. I weigh everything before I list it, including packaging and rounding up for label, tape, packing list, etc. I printed the postal price charts from usps.com for 1st class, parcel post and priority, and the zone chart for my zip. Then I can know exactly what it will cost. I round up for the listing to cover supplies and time, but I still keep it low. I select "flat rate shipping" and put in the cost there. Then it is my choice to do priority or parcel post etc. I print all my postage, labels & packing slips from the paypal shipping center (it does cost .13 each). Then I can just drop them into any mailbox or call for a pickup. Beats waiting in line at the PO with a 2 year old!

The so-called theory behind the Sunday ending is that more people have access to their computers on the weekend. I know many people do surf from work or late at night, but not everyone can. If they are online, supposedly they are more likely to bid higher near the end time. For example, an auction that ends at midnight on a Tuesday is unlikely to have as many last minute bidders as one that ends at 4 p.m. Sunday. It works for me but YMMV.

ITA with the PP about books - don't bother with ebay (unless you're buying); use half.com CDs do pretty well on ebay though.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 AM

I agree that you should list books at half.com or even Amazon.com. When I sell books or CDs they tend to sell quickly there plus you don't have to take pics.

User Tag List