How often do you do laundry? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 07-16-2005, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
I am amazed at all the laundry. I guess we just don't get that dirty. If dd is going to do a messy project (painting or play dough) I strip her down to undies first. I do towels and linens once a week, all in one load on hot. We do try to reuse towels thoughout the week so it is maybe 2 towels per person, plus every dishtowel in the house and a couple of hand towels & washcloths, queen sheets and twin sheets if dd has slept in her bed more than once that week- LOL. All that fits in one load in my washer.

I wash everything in one day (usually Sunday) then watch tv or a movie while I fold everything that evening. If I am watching tv I will put away during commercials.
This could also be why we do not have as much laundry as everyone else. We also reuse towels. Also we use rags and cloths for everything and still not much more laundry

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#32 of 55 Old 07-16-2005, 02:38 PM

We (2 adults, 1 kid) do 7-9 loads a week in the big laundromat washers... a few weeks ago we ran into friends of ours (a couple w/o kids) at the laundromat and they were so completely at the amount of laundry we do every week. (They only do 3-4 loads every other week! Must be nice!)

It's good to know that at least we are in the same boat as many of the other families with kids
#33 of 55 Old 07-16-2005, 04:37 PM

I love this thread. I love laundry.

I wish we could do the one-person-per-day method, but we'd have to have more clothing in order for each person to last that long.

I forget who was the PP (fire in july??) who has 2 loads a week for training pants - I got totally distracted by that, thinking, it must be too soon for pl! :LOL

I do just about one load a day.
-colorsx2
-whitesx2
-towels
-dipes x 2

The only part I really hate is sorting into drawers. I shouldn't complain - my older boys and dp do their own, but I just can't stand it.
#34 of 55 Old 07-16-2005, 04:55 PM

I average about 1 load a day for 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs. My kids love to play outside, and they are notoriously dirty (never met a mud puddle they didn't like). Dh and I are runners/bikers so that adds dirty, sweaty clothes every day. We don't dry clean anything, so dh's work clothes are all washed at home. We use all cloth products so we have cloth wipes, napkins, towels, mama pads etc and that is a couple loads a week. Our youngest is cloth diapered so that is 2-3 loads per week. I don't change sheets nearly as often as I should, but I do have to wash the comforters every couple of weeks because the dogs are always on them. In the summer I wash the dogs' bedding regularly to prevent fleas. It seems excessive, but it all just adds up.
#35 of 55 Old 07-16-2005, 08:40 PM

For our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kiddos) I wash about 5 or 6 loads a week spread out through the week (usually one a day so I am not overwhelmed hanging it all on the clothesline and folding). We tend to have less laundry in the summer since we reuse our beach/pool towels and wear less clothes but I am planning on cloth diapering our new little one so I am sure we will add a few loads come November
#36 of 55 Old 07-16-2005, 08:51 PM

We have a large front-loader that I love, but I still do tons of laundry. It works out to at least one load a day, between diapers and clothing and bedding. There's always something else to wash too, like jackets at the end of a season that need to be washed and put away or dress up clothes and art smocks that need to be "freshened" every so often.
#37 of 55 Old 07-16-2005, 10:04 PM

2 adults, 2 babies in cloth diapers, ds and step daughter every other weekend.

We have an apartment sized washer, so really only does half a typical load. I do a load most days and then there are two loads of diapers every 2.5 days.
#38 of 55 Old 07-17-2005, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
This could also be why we do not have as much laundry as everyone else. We also reuse towels. Also we use rags and cloths for everything and still not much more laundry
Same here. I can't imagine using a whole new bath towel for every person every day. Yikes. That WOULD add up. And we re-wear clothes like jeans and sweatshirts and cardigans if they aren't dirty. Also, I don't usually wash the sheets/quilts unless they seem soiled or smelly or whatever.
#39 of 55 Old 07-17-2005, 10:01 AM

2 adults, no kids here yet.

DH and I each do our own laundry. Just got in the habit, and it works for me! We both work full time, so we split all chores, and I don't want him touching my laundry for fear he'd ruin stuff :LOL

He does one load of all his stuff each week. Somehow he mixes darks and whites, work and casual and it comes out OK. Confuses the heck out of me, but except for one unfortunate incident where he shrunk new $60 pants, it works...

I do one load of my dark/color clothes per week and one load of sheets/towels. We reuse towels, so there are maybe 4 towels, a bath mat, two pillowcases, a queen sheet, and all the dishtowels.

Every other week or every 3 weeks I wash my whites (I don't wear white often at all, so whites sit in the bottom of the hamper till I feel like washing them). The queen comforter is a load on its own, and is done every month or so.

So we're looking at maybe 4 loads per week.

Once we're dealing with cloth diapers, then messy kids it will much higher!
#40 of 55 Old 07-20-2005, 01:53 PM

I'm trying to figure out how we are ending up with so much laundry with only a family of 3 (plus 1 puppy and 3 long haired cats). If I wanted to keep up with laundry I'd have to do 1-2 loads a day at least.

*Lights 3x week (includes cloth napkins, etc)
*Darks 3x week
*Dog/cat blankets & beds 1x week
*Diapers every 2 or 3 days (usually every 2 in the summer- heat makes them stink!)
*Delicates once a month in the washer, maybe? I handwash bras, etc usually
*Sheets (king size) and the duvet cover 1x week
*Towels sometimes in with other stuff, one load weekly if I do it all separately, we change the bath towels twice weekly, kitchen towels/washcloth daily, about 15 cleaning rags included also.
*Usually pick one other item to wash a week like a rug, throw pillows, crib bedding (the cat sleeps in there, not the baby so it gets rather furry) to keep up with the 'extras'

Our washer is a large front loader, which does use less soap and water, but takes forever and is in the basement. Since its not in a convienent location I am always behind! Holy crap! So we are washing like 11-13 loads a week! YIKES! Of course I have a messy toddler, fuzzy pets, and a DH that gets really dirty at work...if only I was one of those people who actually LIKES laundry!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#41 of 55 Old 07-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

We have one of the regular top loading washers. Our family is 2 adults & 3 kids, none in diapers. I usually do an average of one load a day plus on the weekend I have another 3 loads of towels, sheets, blankets. During the summer I usually have another weekly load of bathing suits, pool towels but in the winter I have that extra load for the kids' sweaters & coats.
#42 of 55 Old 07-20-2005, 04:07 PM

Two adults and two kids under 2, both in cloth diapers.

We typically have 2 loads of darks and 1-2 loads of whites per week.
Diaper laundry takes place every other day (that's how long it takes to get a washer full).

I aim for a load of laundry a day but sometimes skip a day and that keeps us on top of things.
#43 of 55 Old 07-24-2005, 01:37 AM

I'm able to do a load a day. Yep. I lump some of it together so it ends up being maybe 2 loads each on about 4 days. My ds goes thru a lot with the way he plays in the dirt, oh and sis is right there with him! :LOL -- In the winter there are layers. I have a fixation with p.j.s and so that doesnt help.
I know It's a lot prob to some here but i dont see it changing.
~L
#44 of 55 Old 07-24-2005, 01:50 AM

I purposely do one load of wash per day. There are three of us. Kailey and I get stuff on our clothing daily from being in a childcare center(painting, food, sand, dirt, etc). it is my way of freeing up time for myself. I no longer wait until the weekend to wash clothing, because it is all done. So much easier to wash a load in the morning, and dry and fold it at night.
#45 of 55 Old 07-24-2005, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In the new house, I've got a pretty small washing machine/dryer combo in my bathroom. It's less than half the size of the washer in my old house, so I'm doing 2-3 times as many loads for the same amount of laundry (and it's easier because it's right in my bathroom instead of being up a flight of steps.)

I'm doing about 2-4 loads of laundry a day. Part of that is catching up on a "backlog" of blankets that my dds were using as mattresses on my bedroom floor the month before we moved. Part of that is a daily load of towels and swimsuits when we get home from the pool. Part of that is my parents' laundry, since they don't currently have their own washer and dryer. They used to have 3 loads a week, now it's 6 loads a week in the smaller machine.

I also use some cloth where others use more disposables- tablecloths, washcloths and small towels in place of paper towels, and I plan to use cloth napkins again once I unpack them and find a place to keep them in the kitchen!! I'd estimate that every day I do a load that's half my clothes and half assorted towels/linens. Every 2 days I do a load of Jack's clothes (he goes through a lot of stuff by treating his clothes as cloth diapers, plus the towels used to mop up yellow puddles.) Approxiomately every 2 days I do a load of Leah and Hannah's clothes. Once a week I do 2 loads of sheets.

ETA I don't separate out lights and darks and do a special load just for whites. When I have a load's worth of laundry in the hamper, I just wash it all on cold. The girls have a hamper in their room, there's a hamper in the bathroom for my stuff and all the household stuff, and ds has a diaper pail that he likes to throw ALL his clothes into (and he's sort of in diapers, sort of not in diapers- it changes daily. ) I only wash dipes in hot if he's actually pooped on them (which is about every other load these days.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#46 of 55 Old 07-24-2005, 10:23 AM

Ruth, I'm like you. We don't separate color clothing, just was heverything on cold. I also pretreat clothing, since Kailey and I always have a spot of something on our shirts or pants
#47 of 55 Old 07-24-2005, 03:21 PM

For 2 adults, I do laundry twice a week and 2 loads. We use the building's machines and they are on the small size. The older ones (they changed them about 7 month's ago) I used to be able to do 3 loads.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#48 of 55 Old 08-01-2005, 03:22 PM

I would say I do one or two loads about every other day. If I wait til its overflowing It overwhelmes me plus we dont have TONS and tons of clothes.
#49 of 55 Old 08-01-2005, 03:34 PM

I'm a little embarrassed at how mayn loads we do :

I would say on average 1 load a day.....for 2 adults.

DH has only so many work shirts. Work shirts that come home very dirty and can not be wasked with any of my clothing. Usually in the morning DH showers and puts in the towels he's used (2 towels) and then what ever he sleeps in, I put in my towels, pj's. After work at night when we come home and shower we throw in our clothes from that day (unless his work shirt is really dirty, than that doesn't go in), and some misc. kitchen towels. Then we wash at night and DH starts the dryer in the AM, if I can't get it on the line. I keep his really dirty work shirts until he runs out and then end up washing them together usually twice just to get clean. Of course not all his shirts get THAT dirty, but some do.
#50 of 55 Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 AM

twice a week..about 3 loads total per week..for 2 adults and one bebe. I've got extra capacity washer..but for some reason, hubby didn't buy the extra capacity dryer! NEVER DO THAT! LOL. I have to split most of my dryer stuff in half because of the capacity difference. He got them before I came so I just have to deal.

Sherra
#51 of 55 Old 08-04-2005, 08:15 PM

This is a mystery to me too: how can I have at least a load of laundry to do each day, with only two kids???

I do 1 load each week for myself, 1 for my husband, 1 for my son and now one for the baby, that includes baby blankets and stuff, plus a load or two of cloth diapers each week, 1 load of rags, towels, etc and one of rugs (bathroom, hallway). In the winter (I live in Quebec city) we have extra loads (sweaters, etc.). I like doing a bit each day, then I never have to worry about having clean clothes.

One things is that my son wears clean clothes every day. Maybe I should try and have him wear his pants several days, but he gets so messy and I like to let him have fun outside without worrying about the mess...

I can't imagin how many loads I'd have with more children, but I hope to find out some day !

Now what I'd like to know is how to keep up with FOLDING the laundry???
#52 of 55 Old 08-04-2005, 10:23 PM

I usually do 1-2 loads every other day. That's for 2 adults, 1 babe in cloth.At the moment it's more because we're staying at my Mom's while we renovate our house and her washer is REALLY small. Definitly glad I have one of the large capacity washers!

I also don't sort our laundry very much. Mostly try to avoid things like towels with darks because of the lint. Otherwise I just toss everything in together with a Shout color catcher sheet. :

Lots of "extra" loads get done at our house each month though because we have so many pets (2 dogs & 8 cats). Pretty much means I have to wash all the throw blankets, pillows, rugs, bed quilts monthly. I change the sheets once every week or two.

Holly
#53 of 55 Old 08-05-2005, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, I started reading this things what a lot of laundry but when I add it up Imust do about 5-6 loads a week
1 whites + towels
1 darks
2 - 3 CDs
1 other (beddings, batmats etc)

I usually put one load on overnight to hang out first thing then put on a second load while the first dries. We line dry as much as possible. We have a washer drier so we can only dry half a load at once meaning I usually have a basket of wet clothes sitting and waiting in the winter.
#54 of 55 Old 08-13-2005, 04:53 AM

I read that the average American spends 7 hours a week on laundry.
Since DH and DD aren't doing the laundry, I do an extra 7 hours for each of them! That brings my grand total to about 20 hours, which is probably about right when you add up all the time spent gathering/sorting/washing/drying/folding/sorting/putting away laundry.

2 loads each day during the week gets it all done, or else it takes ALL weekend.
I don't have a washer or dryer in my condo, but there's a laundry room down the hall with one washer, one dryer, and there are 9 other condos in the building, so I can't just do the laundry whenever. Since I pay per load, I am accutely aware of the number of loads I do.
I've been taking advantage of the wash/dry/fold service at the laundromat down the street lately. It costs me about $35 for a week's worth of clothes - it's 85 cents per pound, and worth every penny! I do the sheets and towels myself though - that's the easy part.

DD is almost 13 months and quite a mess... I don't bother with bibs because the food is everywhere.
DH wears a lot of clothes; he bikes to work, then changes into work clothes, then changes back to his bike clothes, changes into casual clothes at home, then something else to sleep in; he also has special clothes for running, karate, hiking, etc.
My goal for myself is a minimalist wardrobe - if I only have 2-3 loads worth of clothes, how out of hand can it get?
Our kitties leave hair everywhere, but I'm getting better at getting the clothes put away (or at least high up) so I don't have to rewash everything after the furballs have slept in the hampers full of clean clothes. :
#55 of 55 Old 08-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Two adults, one teen, one preschoolerwho is toilet learning and one toddler in cloth dipes, one cat. We re-use towels and, with all my good intentions to change my ways, the beds get changed out maybe once a month. I use at least one fresh dishcloth everyday and change the kitchen towels every 2 days or more often.

Average week, I do one load of darks, one of lights (don't separate whites, not enough of them), one of jeans/towels/heavy stuff. Diapers every 2-3 days. Sheets once a month. So that comes to 5 and a half loads a week?

"Me, too!" about the folding/putting away being the hard part. Oh, my teen frequently does his own laundry, which usually only comes to one load, all darks, a week. Black and dark green, that's all he seems to wear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page