How often do you do laundry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 07-13-2005, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear about people doing 2-3 loads a day. I don't get it unless you have a REALLY big family. There are 3 of us and I do laundry once a week and typically I have 3 loads. Occasionally I may have 4. Even when dd was still in cloth dipes I only did dipes every third day.

How much laundry do you do? How many people are in your family? What are you washing?
#2 of 55 Old 07-13-2005, 12:36 AM

2 adults, 2 kids.

Once a week (it's been that way forever).

3-4 loads - whites, colors, darks, sheets (and maybe cleaning rags every 3 weeks) Comforters get washed once a month.

(just bought a front loader, holds-way-more, energy efficient washing machine) instead of my previous bigger loads. I don't have to go to the local washing machine place to wash my comforters anymore.

maybe that's why people have to do 2-3 loads a day. Their top loaders can't handle a lot at once, so the washer has to spread it out over days (wait for it to wash, then load into dryer, start again.)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#3 of 55 Old 07-13-2005, 02:04 AM

2 adults...2 boys...baby on the way now so lots of used cd's and clothes to wash...lately, every other day a 2 washes. its always been that way for me. my 14 yr. old is horrible with his room and bathroom and i never know what is clean. when i harass him enough to clean those rooms, i find it ALL in the dirty clothes. i literally have to stand over him after i give him his folded clothes to put away. most of the time i give up and put them away b/c i dont want to rewash.
and dont get me started on his one a day towels!! lol!
Rach
#4 of 55 Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
I hear about people doing 2-3 loads a day. I don't get it unless you have a REALLY big family. There are 3 of us and I do laundry once a week and typically I have 3 loads. Occasionally I may have 4. Even when dd was still in cloth dipes I only did dipes every third day.

How much laundry do you do? How many people are in your family? What are you washing?

I would LOVE to have that little an amount of laundry!!!!

Here's our laundry breakdown for 5 people and 2 cats:

Cloth training pants - 2 loads per week
Casual darks - 2 loads per week
Casual whites - 1 load per week
Towels - 1 load per week
Sheets/bedding (I only wash each person's BI-weekly) - but still comes to about 3 loads per week
Delicate darks - 1 load per week
Delicate lights - 1 load every other week
Super hand-wash delicates - 1 load per week
Baby regulars - 1 load every other week
Baby darks - 1 load every other week
Baby delicates - 1 load every other week

That comes out to about 13 loads a week - plus at least one more because there is always at least one catastrophe where someone's bed gets puked on right after it was washed, or all the towels get used to stop a toilet overflow, or the kids exploded ink over stuff, or whatever.
SO - 14 loads in your average week - 15 or 16 loads when we have guests using the guest bedding and towels. Then in the winter, there is all the kids' coats and snowgear too. And when this new baby arrives, I'm sure the baby laundry will all have to be done weekly instead of bi-weekly.

14 loads a week means if I do not do 2 loads per day or 4 loads every other day, I fall hopelessly behind. We do have a smaller top-loading washer, so I am not able to do as big of loads as someone with a larger one. I do get so tired of the constant laundry!!!!
#5 of 55 Old 07-13-2005, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am really glad I spent the little extra to get a bigger capacity washer. It has the water control feature so I can choose from 5 different load sizes and it is big enough to wash a queen comforter. I think it was only like $20-30 more than the smaller one and it has paid for itself in just not having to take the comforter to the laundry. For once I am glad I let the sales guy talk me into something- :LOL
#6 of 55 Old 07-13-2005, 10:06 PM

Once every two weeks for one small adult and two kids. Usually four to five loads:

2 loads of darks
1 load of whites
1 load of towels and/or 1 load of "other"

Our laundry is in the cellar, which has outside access only, so I have to go outside and then down the rickety stairs into the dank dark SPIDERY cellar to do laundry. Therefore, I do laundry as seldom as I can. This is particularly fun in the winter when there's three feet of snow on the ground and I have to dig a path to the cellar.

I admit if our washer and dryer were in the house I would do laundry way more often and be less careful about what we washed.
#7 of 55 Old 07-13-2005, 10:54 PM

Too often. LOL. Every single day. Four kids, two adults, one dog, one cat, cloth diapers...it adds up quick!
#8 of 55 Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 PM

I have a family of five. I do one or two loads every other day.
#9 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 AM

I can easily find a load to do everyday and then I do baby stuff every 2nd day and linen weekly 2 loads of sheets a load of towels, dishcloths etc. That's for two adults, 2 pre-teen boys and a babe.
#10 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 04:25 AM

2 adults, 3 kids (2 are in dipes all day, all3 in dipes at night)

I do at least 2 loads a day, dipes every third day. We have red dirt so whatever the boys wear outside goes stright to the dirty clothes & DD spits up a lot (usually all over her clothes & the clothes of the lucky person who's holding her at the time LOL ). We also have a lot of messes & spills w/a 1 1/2 year old & a 4 1/2 year old. Laundry around here adds up fast.

#11 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 11:53 AM

I try to keep up which means at least a load a day. Typically this doesn't get done, but when it does I don't get behind/have a mountain!!
#12 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 11:56 AM

"I have a family of five. I do one or two loads every other day."

: and cloth diapers.....
#13 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 12:03 PM

I DO LAUNDRY FOR MYSELF, MY SON AND MY SISTER WHO WE SHARE A HOUSE WITH. WE DONT HAVE WASHER AND DRYER SO I DO A LAUNDRYMAT RUN ONCE A WEEK AND DO on average 6 LOADS . THAT INCLUDES TOWELS AND LINNENS AND EVERYTHING.. I THINK ITS PRETTY GOOD.. WE WILL SEE WHEN I HAVE A ..
( sorry abouy caps i wasnt looking while i was typing) new baby in november i may have to be going twice a week then. :LOL i cant not CD but im going to try doing EC as much as possible.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#14 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 03:49 PM

If I can manage to wash and dry 1 load a day, I can stay caught up on laundry when its just dh, ds and me. Ds is in CD. Dh has a dirty job :LOL masonry and he goes through 2 sets of clothes/day. I should have clothes that need drycleaning : but I refuse to dress up THAT much for my job That's just for normal clothes and diapers. I also hang everything I can on the line...

Now when we have all the kids... I have a HUGE pile of 3-4 loads on Monday morning to dig out of... Between all the towels, swimsuits, clothing changes that tweens just NEED to do PLUS the sheets that need washing 2x month, I'm swimming in laundry!

I would say I do 5 loads of laundry M-F w/3 of us;
On the Mondays after dh's kids were over + 3-4 loads
So I average 7 loads M-F

We're usually out of town on the weekends or I don't have time to do laundry!

What I've found though is the bigger the kids get, the less I can fit in the machine!

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

#15 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 PM

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...t+Load+Washers

I have a Sears Kenmore H4t (top of the line, German made) in white. I think it was $100 more than the H3t and the H3t didn't have the Sanitary cycle.

:

It's my prayer that ALL SAHMs get themselves a front-loading, energy saving, bigger capacity washer.

- there is a Sanitary cycle!
- holds comforters
- stainless steel drum (I was using a vinegar rinse to disenfect in my porcelain tub and it rusted it. It was $399 to replace the tub... it was "cheaper" to just buy a $1,999 new washer. Ours was 5 years old. I know it's a lot of money, but it is SO worth it.

- uses less detergent
- thus less detergent residue on clothing
- variety of speed spins (super fast for faster drying time)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#16 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 04:11 PM

i do a load a day, sometimes two.

i have a new asko front loader and love it. i would have gotten the miele but i didnt want to spend the $ on it.
#17 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 04:33 PM

There are 3 of us plus 2 dogs and we need to do about 15 loads a week. So I try to do 2 a day or else I am so behind by the weekend. We have a large capacity front loader but it still adds up. And dh and I re-wear some of our stuff too. DD is in the messy toddler eating, playing and potty learning stage so she goes through a lot of clothes. We all reuse towels, napkins, etc. too...somehow we still have a ton of laundry to do every week.

4 loads of cloth diapers
2 of black clothes
2 whites (1 for dd, 1 for us)
2 colors (1 for dd, 1 for us)

1 of dishtowels, napkins etc.
1 of bed linens
2 loads towels (1 light/1 dark)
1 load of dog towels/beds etc.
These last 5 sometimes get held over for another week

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#18 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 06:31 PM

In my family there are 2 adults and two kids under four. I typically wash six loads in a week, one each day.
Monday~Bedding
Tuesday~towels and rags
Wensday~Kids
Thursday~Me
Friday~My husband

The sixth load is whites and it gets washed on whichever day it really needs to be done. Occasionaly there are less loads and occasionaly there are more. It just depends on the week.

I'm not currently using my cloth diapers but when I was that added about three loads a week.

:
#19 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 06:41 PM

I do 8-12 loads a week. I do my bed every other week and the kid's bed every other week so that cuts down on some. Diapers are 2-3 loads per week. Dimitrius's work clothes 2 loads a week. Dimitrius's gym clothes, 2 loads a week. Amelie spits up or drools copiously on herself and bibs don't contain it all. So she gets changed 2-3 times a day. The kids get food on themselves and play in the yard and get very dirty so they have to change once a day, usually. Their pajamas get reused at least once though. We have a king size bed so that's 2 loads to wash the sheets, then mattress cover and pillowcases. We have a few couch blankets around that sometimes get dirty and need washing too. I also use towels in the kitchen for everything as opposed to paper towels and that can add up to about half a load a week. I change clothes almost daily, as well. If I lived alone, I would probably have about 2 loads a week.
Let's see if I can break it down:
2 loads of work clothes
2 loads of diapers
2 loads of gym clothes
2 loads of bedding or bath towels or couch blankets
1 load of heavily soiled clothes (food, dirt, kitchen towels)
1 load of assorted kids clothes
1 load of mine and D's daytime clothes
11 loads per week, on average

I do at least one load a day so that I don't get behind. It's not the washing that's a chore when I get behind, it's the folding and putting away that becomes a daunting task. Any suggestions on how I could have less laundry?
#20 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 06:52 PM

I do 10 loads per week for a family of 3.
Our washer is pretty small. Not single-sized, but not much bigger. I can wash 1 queen-sized blanket in it at once, or 2 sets of sheets.
DH goes through clothes like crazy. He is site managing for construction right now, so he comes home filthy and sweaty and changes as soon as he gets in the door. He is a big guy, and 3xl tall shirts take up a lot of room in that little washer.
I work on a farm, and come home at the end of the weekend with a bag full of clothes to be washed
DS is 3. I believe that explains a lot. He is slowly potty training and still has a few accidents.
We also have a pool that gets used 3x per week or so, and that produces a lot of laundry.
#21 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 08:37 PM

Family of 3 Me, DH, and DD (age 3)

Summertime-
Mondays- Do a load of whites, 2 loads of darks (sorted by hang dry and what I would automatically put in dryer), and sometimes dh's pants for work.
Thursdays- DH's pants for work if I did not do on Mon and a load of darks since by now it needs to be done.
We can hang stuff on our line so I do line dry stuff anyday I have a large enough load to do it. Like yesterday I did a load even though it was wed since its a great day to let the breeze dry my stuff.

I line dry- sheets, shirts, bathing suits, cloth napkins

Rest of the year:
Mondays- Do a load of whites, 2 loads of darks sorted by linens and towels and then clothing, and sometimes another load of dh's pants for work.
Thursdays- DH's pants for work if I did not do on Mon and a load of darks since by now it needs to be done.

When dd was born we did a load of her stuff almost everyday. But now her stuff is in with ours.

So 5-6 loads a week. Before DD was born, it was about 4-5 loads a week. I would do them on Saturdays and also Thursday nights.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#22 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 10:44 PM

A load a day or so - small washer. I hate doing laundry. There's no where to store a laundry basket in this place hardly so I have to put dirty stuff in the washer and wash when full. No I don't have problems with colors mixing since I wash with cold. I do dipes seperately (hot of course).

eta: 3 of us here
#23 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 10:56 PM

I do laundry nearly every day, for a family of 3. DH works at home and really goes through his clothes. Mine can rarely be reworn since someone with guppy hands often is grabbing at them (who could that be?), and that someone with guppy hands never rewears an outfit unless he spent most of the day in a swim suit.

I also do diaps every 3 days. I alternate laundry - whites and light colors one day, darks the next. Mixing in towels and sheets when loads are lighter.
#24 of 55 Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 PM

Oh one caveat - I only do the amount of laundry that I can completely *process* in one day - washed, dried, folded & put away. We have one laundry basket and it *follows* the laundry through the process.
#25 of 55 Old 07-15-2005, 11:32 AM

2 adults, 2 kids, 3 cats who like to piss in laundry baskets...

When I'm on the ball, I do one load a day. Occasionally that gets me ahead and I can skip a day. I do approximately:
2-3 loads whites (including diapers)
1-2 load darks
1 load sheets and towels
1 load blankets (the blankets off our sofas get covered in cat hair quickly, so they need washing about weekly. Also, bed blankets.)
#26 of 55 Old 07-15-2005, 03:12 PM

we have a small "apartment sized" washer, and not many clothes. Like my husband only has 4 wearable pairs of pants, and right now I have about 5 outfits that fit (postpartum) for work. 2 of us, plus a baby. Plus two cats, one of whom is old and gets sick a lot and lays on blankets in the warm spots around the apartment. Plus cloth diapers. So I do one load a day, usually, and some days I wash the CDs in addition to the regular load. My DH is not real good about re-wearing things that aren't necessarily "dirty" yet although I grew up doing that. Plus my mom is the in-home babysitter so occasionally she brings things to wash too!
#27 of 55 Old 07-15-2005, 03:53 PM

I wish I could explain all that dang laundry.

2 adults and 2 kids here (1 is 16mos. the other almost 4)

I do laundry EVERY DAY just so I can stay on top of things and not have to spend an entire day doing nothing else. It just fits better into my day to do 2-3 loads a day than to wait and do it all in the same day.

DH is a contractor and is always getting super dirty. DS is always getting dirty.

Then there is the cloth dipes too that I seem to wash 2-3 times a week because we don't have very many.

I'm not doing full-loads every time but do the laundry based out of necessity. DH has a ton of clothes for work but the rest of us don't have but maybe a weeks worth of clothes so I have to wash often.

Also there are towels and sheets and rugs and kitchen towels.

I live in NM where the dirt just seems to find its way into the house no matter what so there is lots of rug washing and kitchen towel using.

perhaps I will try not doing any until Sunday or something and see if I can do it all the same day.
#28 of 55 Old 07-15-2005, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

I am amazed at all the laundry. I guess we just don't get that dirty. If dd is going to do a messy project (painting or play dough) I strip her down to undies first. I do towels and linens once a week, all in one load on hot. We do try to reuse towels thoughout the week so it is maybe 2 towels per person, plus every dishtowel in the house and a couple of hand towels & washcloths, queen sheets and twin sheets if dd has slept in her bed more than once that week- LOL. All that fits in one load in my washer.

I wash everything in one day (usually Sunday) then watch tv or a movie while I fold everything that evening. If I am watching tv I will put away during commercials.
#29 of 55 Old 07-15-2005, 11:47 PM

Your washer must be way bigger than mine.
#30 of 55 Old 07-16-2005, 01:48 AM

I've got 3 kids and one husband and I do at least 2 loads of laundry a day. There's always a load of towels and bathmats - I have a thing about manky wet towels, I wash them after every use, and the kids always flood the bathroom when they shower so the towels get used to mop up a lake. so five towels and a bathmat plus assorted socks and underwear go in the first load. There's four beds in the house to change and keep clean so there's three loads of bedlinen per week (I can usually fit 2 single beds in one load), plus there's 3 loads of diapers and then there's usually 2 loads of whites a week and 3 or 4 loads of coloureds, plus two loads of handwashing/delicates/woolens. So what's that about 18+ loads of washing a week. The washer's always full-ish - not overloaded. I need to use the clothes line, an indoor airer AND the dryer to get through it.

I only iron Doug's business shirts and the odd thing that needs it, as a general rule it comes out of the dryer/off the line and away onto hangers right away.

On top of that I run the dishwasher (full) at least twice per day, often it's 3 times depending on what I cook for dinner.

So you dont have to have a "big" family to do that much laundry! It's not like we're extravagent with it or anything. If I miss a day there's towering laundry baskets!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page