What papers do you keep for your files? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2005, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We moved into this house almost 2 years ago. From the time that we put our house on the market until now I have been really bad about filing. I have several large crates of papers that need to be filed, shredded or trashed :

So how long do you keep bills like credit cards, phone, etc in a file.

Bank statements?

Investement paperwork (we get these printouts every month from different investments, most of which I don't know what they are and really don't know what to keep).

I also need to get a new paper shredder. I have a large tub of paper that needs to be shredded and my paper shredder just died on me (which is why I haven't filed in so long, right? the excuses I find to procrastinate! :LOL )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005, 12:22 AM

I keep all my important papers in one file box. When it gets full I go through it and declutter.

I am trying to reduce the amount of paper statements I receive for utilities, credit cards, etc... by requesting online bill pay with no paper bills.

I only save our utility statements or other miscellaneous statements for a couple of months. I do keep copies of our tax returns for 5 years.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I just recently switched some of our bills over to e bills. The thought of not having a paper bill just really bothered me, but then I thought of how much less clutter it would be and it really seemed like a good idea.

And really, as long as the total of the bill is correct I don't really check the specifics.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:01 AM

Old taxes - forever. After 5 yrs I purge the receipts and w2s and just keep the forms themselves

Credit card receipts - I don't keep. I enter everything into quicken and then purge

Utility bills, tax bills - I only keep those that are tax deductible (we have a rental property). Those go in the current year tax folder. When I'm done with filing taxes, the receipts get stapled together and put into an envelope within the tax folder (which is held for five years and then burned or shredded)

Mortgage bills - forever. When we refi'ed I tossed the old bank's bills once the old mortgage was paid off. You need proof that you've paid your mortgage if there are any discrepencies.

HTH!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:25 PM

What about bank statements?

hola.gifElena ~  loving mom to  Alexander 8 fencing.gif Christopher 5.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:20 PM

Bumping this up!!! I need to know what to do with explanation of benefits, old bills, etc....does anyone have a link to a comprehensive list?

Im trying to tackle 3 old purses : of papers in my bedroom today, if ya couldnt tell by my urgency!

User Tag List