Entryway & front door clutter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-19-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any good solutions for containing all the clutter by your entryway? Shoes, mail, scarves, diaper bag, beach bag, recycling, etc., etc. Some days I can barely get through the (tiny) foyer to get into the house. I'd be particularly interested in shelving or other storage options you've tried as we have a small free wall that I think needs some shelves or drawers or something. TIA!
#2 of 8 Old 07-19-2005, 10:55 PM

Shoe basket and coat rack. You can also put a cabinet there too.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2005, 12:40 PM

We have a cabinet w/ shelves that we use for shoes. On top of the cabinet is a shallow basket w/ 3 sections -- for keys, sunglasses, etc. Hanging on the wall next to the cabinet is a basket for mail. We also have hooks for jackets, umbrellas, etc.
#4 of 8 Old 07-29-2005, 09:42 PM

That is such a clutter-catching spot for us too--ugh. Not a nice thing for guests to see first-thing, let alone coming home to it myself. I know the coat hooks have helped a lot, but I swear dh's shoes seem to mate and multiply there when I'm not looking. At last count he had SIX pairs of shoes just laying around over there.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#5 of 8 Old 08-07-2005, 02:19 PM

Do you have a closet nearby?
We use a shoe organizer for the back of our door. I stuff it to the gills-1 row per family member. We use it to hold shoes, socks, sunglasses, hats, umbrellas, sunscreen, bug spray, etc.

I have shelves that hold bags, and a shoe organizer to hold the rest of the shoes. We use the floor space for recycling.

If that doens't work for you, I would suggest a cabinet (as big as you can fit) that you can put shoes in. You can then hang some hooks for coats, bags, and the like.
We have a mirror/key holder/ post holder from Pottery Barn that i got on sale for $20. you can find one similar at Target/KMart, etc.

Personally, I'd put the recycling in a kitchen cabinet (maybe a rollout trash bin) or outside (we hide ours behind a bush by the front steps).

I also find it helps to only keep one or two pairs of shoes around per family member. The others we store in our respective closets.

HTH
#6 of 8 Old 08-08-2005, 02:52 AM

we have baskets for each dh and myself to sort mail as soon as it comes in. we have a wastebasket by the entry to throw away junk mail right away. we keep shoes stored in an old bookcase, with the mail baskets on top.

recycling, more shoes and a coat rack are at the back entry, where we enter from the driveway.

but i'm still figuring out a system for my various bags, which end up all over the place, usually in the kitchen. keep meaning to put up a panel of hooks, but I am looking for a more "elegant" solution...
#7 of 8 Old 08-08-2005, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My solution was very drastic. My dh had a habit of dumping clean, unfolded laundry on a large table in the front hall, and then leaving it there. I tried not moving it, but he could outlast me. I hated walking in the door and seeing a huge pile of unfolded laundry. The fighting over this went on for years.

Finally, I realized that he would never, ever stop doing it, and that I had to do something.

So I took out every horizontal surface from the front hall, except the floor itself, of course. I finally compromised by putting a tiny half table there, just barely big enough to hold a couple of framed photographs.

So I guess my solution is kind of different from setting up storage space at the front door. My solution would be to have no storage space at the front door.
#8 of 8 Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv
Finally, I realized that he would never, ever stop doing it, and that I had to do something.
:

We have a small entry way and a small front closet right there. in the winter boots and shoes are restricted to being on the mat right there. It's just something we deal with. We have a 2 drawer plastic thingy in the closet: top drawer = hats, scarves, sunglasses, etc. bottom drawer = baby carriers (almost empty right now, I expect it will fill when baby comes around). To one side of this drawer thing is a paper recycling bag for the mail that goes there immediately. To the other is storage for stuff like yoga mat, my swim bag, etc. Coats hung up in closet either on hooks (dh) or by hangers. We have issues with briefcases, diaperbags, infant carrier. But maybe someday : we will have either a real front hall or a mudroom.

I suspect we will be revisiting this idea as dd is now big enough to hang stuff up herself on hooks at a good level. We might install some for her to hang stuff. I don't know what that solution is.

Back door has a basket for mittens, scarves, etc. Hooks for coats, and a rug for the shoes.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page