Can I have a 101 Course? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came from a pack-rat mentality, and I really don't want to live that way. We are moving and we have SO much stuff to get rid of. I don't want to get rid of too much and then have to go out and replace some, yk? Say, towels, we have TONS (I swear they are multiplying!), I don't think we need that many, but dh says they get used so lets not get rid of any. How many outfits do your kids have? You? Sheet sets? Etc? Yes, I really am this unclued!

So please, could you tell me? Thanks!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#2 of 8 Old 07-26-2005, 02:20 PM

One area we have a ton of is clothes, I personally won't get rid of towels until they are to the point of not good for use, then dh uses them in the shop as rags. We have 2 sets of sheets for oiur bed but I wish I had one more. Our biggest clutter is papers and magazines, I hatwe to get rid of them when I could use them again.
Sorry I was no help!
Hugs
Jessica
#3 of 8 Old 07-26-2005, 02:23 PM

This is a huge area of neede improvement for me... :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 8 Old 07-26-2005, 03:15 PM

We have 2 sets of sheets for each bed, plus a couple of extra crib sheets. We have 2 sets of towels for each person. We keep all our old beach towels (we always seem to use a lot in the summer) and we keep our old bath towels until they disintegrate or we run out of space on the shelf in the garage where I keep them. Old hand towels and wash cloths become cleaning cloths- again, I have designated shelf space for them and will get rid of the rattiest ones once the shelf fills up. I think the key for me has been to designate a place for old towels, then when it fills up I know it is time to get rid of some.

We are working on reducing our wardrobes. I'd like to get the kids to 7-10 outfits plus 10 mix/match pieces and 2 dressier outfits per season. I'm going to try to figure out a wardrobe for myself that will involve buying fewer pieces but things that can mix/match.

In part the answer for you depends on how often you do laundry. You can get by with less if you are willing to do laundry more frequently.
#5 of 8 Old 07-26-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmama
Say, towels, we have TONS (I swear they are multiplying!), I don't think we need that many, but dh says they get used so lets not get rid of any. How many outfits do your kids have? You? Sheet sets? Etc? Yes, I really am this unclued!
I counted our towels for you. :LOL We have 12 big towels (bathsheets, not the HUGE kind but the next size down). Four are nice ones that we use after we get out of the shower. Eight are old worn hand-me-downs that we use mostly for cleaning, unless we're really desperate for a bath towel. We also have about twenty washcloths. We also use these for cleaning. (We don't use paper towels.) We don't have any handtowels but we do have about ten dishtowels that we use for drying our hands and wiping down the table and counter.

I have two sets of sheets for my bed. One is a hand-me-down set from my mom that I use when it's warm. The other is a flannel set for winter. The kids also have two sets, the sets they use currently and a plain blue extra set that they used for a few years before I redecorated their rooms.

Clothes. My son doesn't have many clothes. Probably about 6 pairs of shorts plus about 20 t-shirts. Three pairs of shoes. My daughter and I on the other hand... : I am not going to count them because I need to sleep sometime tonight, but suffice it to say it's way more than we need. And that's with my regularly (at least twice a year) weeding through them and getting rid of the stuff we don't wear anymore. : :
#6 of 8 Old 07-26-2005, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I learned the hard way that any bed that might get peed or puked on should have an extra sheet.

I think we have about a dozen towels in good condition, plus some old military issue ones that get used for messy clean-ups/floor/etc.

Papers are my foible. I currently have a "to file" stack beneath my desk that is breeding, I swear. And the file box is right there, I just never sit down and DO it...

I absolutely have no excuses. I know I am capable of keeping stuff tidy, I did it when I had to in the military and I function better when I'm organized. But there's this little rebel inside me that exhults and wants to join in every time my DD scatters her and my stuff chaotically through the house...then the other me whimpers and tries to put it all back...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#7 of 8 Old 07-28-2005, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have 3 sets of sheets for my bed (2 just isn't enough- I've had somebody vomit or pee on my bed RIGHT after I'd changed my sheets and before washing the second set!!) I have 2 sets of sheets for each of the twin beds- I don't change them all on the same day so I have extras in case of above mentioned emergencies. Besides, a child can always climb into my bed if her bed gets soiled. We have 2 blankets for each bed (except 3 thin cotton blankets for my bed, since I change them every time I change the sheets.) We have enough pillowcases for each change of sheets, plus 2-3 extras.

We have 3 towels for each family member, plus about a dozen washcloths and about a dozen hand towels (both get used for cleaning, in an effort to reduce paper towel usage.) We also have 4 tablecloths- 2 solid color with lace overlays (I guess we have 6 if you count the lace overlays as separate tablecloths) that we use for Shabbat and holidays, and 2 floral prints that we use for everyday.

We recently gave away/are about to give away a lot of linens. We simply don't have the storage space we used to have, and we have a tiny, convenient washing machine. I literally do 3-5 loads of laundry a day, so we don't need as much stuff. If you do laundry less often, you might need a little more.

Clothing: I have about 5 everyday outfits, and 3 fancy outfits. My son has way too many, but they all fit in his dresser drawer so I don't worry about it (and it's not really too many when you figure that he sometimes goes through 3 outfits in a day if he keeps spilling water on himself, or has an accident when he's not wearing training pants. The girls still have too many clothes, but we already gave away the stuff that's too small and the stuff that they simply didn't like. They really only NEED 5 everyday outfits plus 2 or 3 dressy outfits, but they'll probably want double that for variety. At this point, our plan is to give away what they really won't wear, and buy only the amount they need when Leah's ready for the next size.

Here's how I look at the whole issue of giving away stuff that I could still use, but just have too many of: If it's sitting in my closet, not being used, it's being wasted. It's so much better to give it away to somebody who's going to use it!! Right before we moved, we kept telling ourselves "It's going to cost money to KEEP this. Is it worth it?"

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#8 of 8 Old 07-28-2005, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, posters. I think I finally have an idea of what we need. I am all for giving stuff away, dh was raised that if you receive or buy something, you should keep it forever.

I can't wait to start on this, it will feel so good to get that baggage out

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page