Apartment dwellers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-27-2005, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello mamas, I currently live in a goregous old house with hardwood floors and colourful walls, but...

In less than 3 weeks I am moving into a tiny, 2-bedroom apartment with carpets etc.

I was wondering if any other mamas and families live in apartments and how you like it, decorated it, any issues with apartment-dwelling, how your young children like it, how you keep it clean and clutter-free!!

I am clueless and a little concerned about all this... so I hope to get some replies!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#2 of 4 Old 07-28-2005, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I guess I sort-of qualify; we live in the top half of a 2-story house (my parents have the ground floor) it's only 2 bedrooms, and it's approxiomately half the living space we had before.

We gave away a TON of stuff before we moved, and as we unpack, I'm deciding to give even more away (do I REALLY need all those dishes or towels? I don't really have room for them.)

We're still not totally organized, and we need to get some extra furniture out of my living room (not to mention some carboard boxes!!) but we're adapting to having less space. One advantage we have is access to the basement for stuff like out of season clothes and eventually setting up a sewing room.

We have carpets in every room but the kitchen and bathroom, and I hate it. Kids spill stuff, ds has accidents, and carpet is so much harder to keep clean than tile or hardwood floor. The only advantage is that I can say "no food on the carpet" and they have a better understanding of eating only in the kitchen.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 4 Old 08-01-2005, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are getting ready to move from a big house to a smaller apartment. I'm in the middle of getting rid of as much as possible.

I find it helps a lot!

I think about how many rooms we will have (we are going from 4 bedrooms, 2 full bath to 3 bedrooms, 1 bath) and what we really use and need. I found that most of the stuff we stored around the house hasn't been touched in years.

I imagine what will fit in what room and the stuff and furniture that would clearly be too much, goes before we move. It would be much harder for us to try to get rid of unneeded stuff where we are moving to.

And even though we don't pay for the move I am excited about the fact that I don't have to find room for all sorts of things once we get to the new house.

Once the heat lets up we will declutter the shed. That will be a challenge knowing dh...

Cinnamon

PS I forgot... We have wall to wall carpet. I own a carpet cleaning machine that I bought refurbished for half off at overstock.com. We have a long haired cat that spits up hair balls like crazy. :Puke This machine is great! :LOL
#4 of 4 Old 08-01-2005, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we live in a 2 bd apart. and I like it. I dont worry about keeping things spotless, they will just take it out of the sec. deposit when we move. I hand things on the walls too, but we will be painting before we move.
My biggest thing is to just not worry about the carpet. In Ohio they HAVE to put in new carpet when you move, so there isnt a point to keep it spotless!!
And theow away everything you havent used in the past three months, taht really helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page