How do you purge.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have so much crap , it is everywhere and I can not take it. I can not organize worth a damn. It is me and dh and an 8 year old boy and 6 month old twins in 2 bedroom apartment about 1200 squarefeet. There is crap piled in every corner on every surface. I want it all gone, away, I don't want to see it but it has no place to go. Dh loves his crap and is constantly bringing home more and more.

How do you know what should go? I went through my clothes today and filled a garbage bag for the goodwill but there is still so much, but I can't quite decide with most, I hesitate...and then stuff just starts pileing up.

Help. tell me what to do and how to get all this crap outta here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 06:48 PM

Start small and use your local freecycle (www.freecycle.org). Post a few things each day and the people will come to you to pick up (that way you don't even have to leave the apartment)!! I personally love freecycle because it keeps my house clutter-free.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
Old 08-01-2005, 07:35 PM

I'm trying to purge now, too. I'm trying to focus on one area at a time based on how much time I have- one night this week I made a goal of going through one shelf in the office area, then yesterday when I had more time I was able to get through one section of the garage (I literally divided the garage into 4 sections using sidewalk chalk). This method is working better for me than my usual method of flitting from one place to another, which never really has any impact. On my first pass I'm focusing on getting rid of stuff, then I'll have to go through again and figure out how to organize what's left. It's a long process, but if you can complete even one area (sounds like you are well underway with your closet) it is very rewarding!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:00 PM

It's so hard, I know~ I'm having the same problem.
I've been working at it, little by little... it's getting better (and this board has really helped ) but it seems like I have so much more to do.
I think the pp had good advice, just keep working at it- set small goals and do a little bit each day.
I also love freecycle, that has helped a lot (when people actually come to pick up the stuff, but that's another story ).
There are lots of great tips on this board, you'll get some great advice!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)

User Tag List