do you have a daily or weekly housekeeping checklist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a daily and weekly checklist for our 4 year old and it works really well for her. I'm thinking I might need one for myself! Do you have one? What is on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 04:07 AM

:
Old 08-03-2005, 04:28 PM

I roughly follow the Flylady's Zone cleaning pattern... but I just posted a similar answer to another post... I cheated and posted the whole thing. But I do at least one of these tasks per day. Some weeks, I'll do it all on Monday and take most of the week off.

fold and put away a load of laundry - 15 minutes/day

I sort by person into separate laundry baskets so I can be more efficient. It takes me about 5 minutes to fold and sort and another 10 minutes to put away since I have 5 baskets. The older kids put their own things away but I deliver the baskets.

vacuum the house (1500 sq ft) - 5-10 minutes/day

I vacuum one floor per day, approx 750 sq ft each, takes me a whopping 5-10 minutes depending on if I do just the 'middles' per flylady or if I move some furniture.

mop the floors (all wood, 1500 sq ft) - 10 minutes/1-3x week

I mop with a good mop and bucket and that's my main floor 75% wood, 25% vinyl but the same solution. Takes me another 10 minutes after I've vacuumed. I do this 1-3 times a week depending on the weather.

clean the bathroom - 5 minutes/day

For our main bathroom (we have 2) I swish the toilet and clean the rim and seat every morning after I used it. I keep a spray bottle of 'toilet' cleaner (homemade w/some essential oil added). Once a week before bed, I'll put some Borax in the toilet and let it sit overnight and flush in the morning. Every morning I also clean the mirror with a homemade window cleaning solution in another spray bottle kept under the sink. I keep an old dishrag with it... Spray mirror, wipe and wipe the counter and sink. I vacuum the bathroom floor 2-3 times a week with my regular vacuuming to keep the hair in control. And I include the bathroom mopping in my 2x week floor mopping. The tub and shower get cleaned once a week sometimes every other : WHILE I'm taking a shower. I use those exfloliating gloves a little elbow grease to get the tile clean. It may add 2 minutes to my shower time.

SO... I spend 2 minutes 'swishing and swiping' the bathroom per day and I can do that with ds around.

clean out refrigerator - 5-15 minutes/week

I do this about once a week before grocery shopping or at least making my list. This really varies... from 5 minutes to 15 depending on how many leftovers are in the fridge and if ds was playing in there and I have spills to clean.

dust - 10 minutes/week

I do not keep many knick-knacks because I don't like to dust them. Once a week, I'll dust a few rooms well. This means, moving things, dusting with a damp cloth and putting things back. Takes me 10 minutes tops. I rotate the rooms based loosely on the Flylady system. She has 'zones' assigned weekly. I'll also feather dust between major dustings which is about a minute or 2 with my lovely ostrich feather duster I can do the whole house in less than 10 minutes. I'll do the TVs as needed and I keep a micro cloth stashed behind them.

I think once you find your routine that works for you, it will really zip by. I started with flylady to get me started on a system and I personalized it for me and my house. I also declutter regularly to keep the whole house cleaning thing easier. Keeping cleaning solutions and rags in the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room so I don't have to cart them all over. I recycled the spraybottles and made my own cleaning solutions and relabeled the bottles. I keep a vacuum upstairs for doing just the upstairs. It was a handmedown but serves its purpose well. I use my Miele for the main floor (hardwood/vinyl) and I use the powerhead for the basement carpets which get the most pet hair. I also have a Swiffer mophead thingie but I don't use their disposable clothes. I use rags and a spray bottle of 'floor' cleaner (same general solution for everything) and do quick mops if I don't think the floors need a 'good' mopping. Slip covers on the couches and chairs make for easy to keep clean furniture. I have 2 sets for all the pieces. One is always in the wash...

I can do my whole house routine in a hour once a week if necessary. But I prefer to just do 15 minutes a day, every day or every other day.

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

Old 08-04-2005, 12:59 AM

I have one of those weekly magnet things I put up on the refrigerator. I can use one of those erase pencils. On it I have two days marked down to do laundry. On the days I don't do laundry, I have two days marked down to bless my home (flylady terms). During bless my home I dust, vaccum just the main pathways, and sweep. I choose once a week to mop with my swiffer jet.

That is all I put on there unless I see something that will need deeper cleaning and then I sorta space it in to a day that isn't that busy.

Sherra

User Tag List