Feeling overwhelmed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2005, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So My Mom is a hoarder... She always buys 10 of everything in every color. I try to tell her we dont need more but yet every week when she comes she brings more stuff for me and my DD. I am also seeing signs of doing this myself. Esp w/ diapers, yarn, crafts, clothes... How do you get uncluttered and not accumulate more? I just cant seem to organize all our closets, drawers and bins.

What are some good books to read since the ones I got from the library werent what I was looking for? Thanks!

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM

I can not recommend any books but I can say that I can understand where you are coming from. My MIL loves to buy clothes for dd. I have gotten where if I like the outfit I keep it for good, if it looks like good play clothes we use it for that and if it gets stained up we cut it up and use it for rags. I always try to dress her in an outfit that came from MIL when we go to see her, but other than that I have our fave outfits that we use the most and the rest is just in VERYGOOD condition when it comes time to get rid of it.

I have found that with myself if I limit the amount of space I have to put things in it helps. I have a cart that is for my sewing stuff, when its full I have to use up what is in there before I can buy anything new. Diapers I don't worry so much about because I like to have a LARGE stash for the times when we are not at home and I can't wash for more than 2 days.

Hugs
Jessica
Old 08-11-2005, 06:31 PM

Hi there,

My mom has this problem too. We even talk about it and we joke all the time. She doesn't send all that much to me anymore. Maybe you should make a joke of it and talk to her about it? That may cut down on the incoming stuff.

As for helping me change since I saw it in me as well, I liked flylady's approach. Even if you do not do her entire program (I don't), you can look over her decluttering games and how she organizes and get some ideas. I know it changed my perspective and has helped a lot. www.flylady.net I think is the address.

I try to keep telling myself when I feel overwhelmed, that the only expectation I'm forcing on myself is coming from myself. Then I usually ask myself why I expect such perfection...and that is when I stop because I don't have the answer to that. It helps.

Sherra
Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 PM

I just started flylady again, used to do it but quit for a couple years. I have accomplished a lot the last couple days including working on the quilt for my BIL for christmas which I have been procrastinating on for months!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 PM

I don't know what book you read, but I borrowed several from our library and most of them had similar, although fairly good, advice. You might try "Clutter's Last Stand" by Don Aslett or "Let Go of Clutter" by Harriet Schechter.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

thank you! I read some of flylady and it makes sooo much sense! thank you for aming me feel better! also I will try to get my hands on those books

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz

User Tag List