Tell me about your vacuum cleaner! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 95 Old 11-12-2005, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherra
After looking at the dyson models, I have to say, my husband would commit me to a mental institution if I even breathed how much they cost and said I wanted one haha.

Needless to say, I was shocked at the price. I bet they are worth it and I believe you lol but I couldn't believe a vaccum could cost that. I grew up frugal so maybe that is why I can't even fathom that cost.
I know exactly what you mean. But after going through a variety of cheap (Eureka, Hoover, Bissel, etc) vacuums over the past 5 years, I have had it. My latest bagless vac is now at the curb. IF I would have purchased an expensive Dyson or Oreck in the first place I would have spent about the same money, but saved on headaches and consumer waste. :

So with that said, this is a very timely thread. We are looking at Oreck and Dyson. I am leaning towards to the Oreck because I can't stand emptying a canister, yck.

Anyone have an Oreck?
#62 of 95 Old 11-12-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysMama
I know exactly what you mean. But after going through a variety of cheap (Eureka, Hoover, Bissel, etc) vacuums over the past 5 years, I have had it. My latest bagless vac is now at the curb. IF I would have purchased an expensive Dyson or Oreck in the first place I would have spent about the same money, but saved on headaches and consumer waste. :

So with that said, this is a very timely thread. We are looking at Oreck and Dyson. I am leaning towards to the Oreck because I can't stand emptying a canister, yck.

Anyone have an Oreck?
I just thought I'd throw in about the canister thing. The Dyson has a little button on the top that you push to open the bottom of the canister, and everything just falls out. I just hold on to the top handle, hold it over my garbage can, and push the button. Sometimes I shake it a little (we have dogs...the hair sometimes sticks). Then I push the bottom thing back into place--it's hinged and you just click it back. But my hands never ever touch any of the gunk (that would ick me out too) it just falls out into the garbage.

I'm frugal too...the price of this about sent me into cardiac arrest, and we basically got $100 off. But we'll save $40 a year in HEPA filters alone, along with $2 a month for bags (we go through one a month). So that helped, and I'm also saving our carpet because I'm vacuuming a lot more frequently. I was the same way about the floor steamer I got to replace our mop--it killed me to spend that much on a mop, but it was worth it because now cleaning our floor is *so* much easier, and therefore I keep up with it more. A cleaner house is worth more money to me--but not everyone has a hard time forcing themselves to clean, so I know that doesn't work for everyone!

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#63 of 95 Old 11-14-2005, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
because I can't stand emptying a canister
It's as simple as two buttons. One button to release it from the machine, then one button to release the icky stuff into the garbage. It is WONDERFUL!

Also, I noticed this week there is a sale at Linen's n things in my area anyway. The dc15 was 100 bucks off! other dyson's were on sale too.
#64 of 95 Old 11-15-2005, 12:42 AM

You don't have to buy filters for the Dyson?
#65 of 95 Old 11-15-2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
You don't have to buy filters for the Dyson?

Nope.....they have lifetime HEPA filters. I am not sure if that's in fact true--that it does last the life of the vaccum...perhaps a seasoned Dyson user can offer up some real life experience.
I am still waiting for mine to arrive via UPS---7-10 days from yesterday when it actually shipped......
#66 of 95 Old 11-15-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymom
Nope.....they have lifetime HEPA filters. I am not sure if that's in fact true--that it does last the life of the vaccum...perhaps a seasoned Dyson user can offer up some real life experience.
If they don't last a lifetime, they have a lifetime warranty, and Dyson customer service is supposed to be great. I'm not seasoned (only had ours for a month) but that's what the Sears guy told me. You do have to wash the filters every 6 months or so--since we have 2 dogs with very shed-dy coats and a kid with dust mite allergies, we'll probably do it every three months. It's kind of like a sponge--you just rinse it thoroughly, let it dry *very* thoroughly, and put it back in.

The Sears guy also said all the current-model Dyson vacuums are identical--the difference in price is due to the different attachments, which you can also buy separately. So we bought the one with just the basic attachments, we'll buy extra attachments if we decide we need them.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#67 of 95 Old 11-15-2005, 02:55 PM

That's true (that the current model Dyson's all are identical) except for that really cool roll-ball one (called, The Ball). We tried that one out and it was super-cool, but not worth the extra couple of hundred). We went with a basic.
#68 of 95 Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman'smom
I grew up with a Kerby, and hated it,maybe they have changed. It was so heavy really really heavy. Every time we turned it on dust blew out the bag in the back, loud and oh did I say heavy?

We never had a clean house, but I doubt that was the fault of the kerby.
I grew up with a kirby too and hated that thing. My parents paid soooo much for it, it was heavy, blew dust out of the bag, and the attachments were a PITA. I vowed as a little girl that I would never, ever get a kirby, b/c I hated that thing so much. I had a bissell for about 5 yrs, still works and did a good job, BUT it was soooo loud and it would get really hot when it was idle in one spot. So, I did some research and got the hoover saavy, which we really like, it allows you to use it with a bag OR bagless, which is nice. It was ranked really well by the good housekeeping ppl, better than the dyson. When I did my research the problem with dyson had something to do with the dyson eating up the carpet, to the point that some carpet manufacturers are not warrantying chewed up carpet incidents if they discover a dyson was used. Anyway, don't kill the messenger, that is just what I heard. It looks like this is a very dyson happy crowd.
#69 of 95 Old 11-17-2005, 06:59 PM

Late on this thread, but had to cast another vote for DYSON!

I LOVE IT! I even blogged about it here:

http://www.billandjanna.com/blog/blo...w_dyson_vacuum

#70 of 95 Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a Dyson ..the Animal model (it's purple and silver). I love it! I couldn't believe the price when we bought it. It was expensive even though it was on sale at Sears. But it's SO worth it. The first time we used it I couldn't believe the amount of pet hair it pulled from the carpet. We thought the carpet was clean but obviously it wasn't. The carpet looked the way it did when we first installed it. Since I have two pets inside the house and I'm allergic to dust I need a great vaccum. I've tried Hoover and Kenmore but neither one really worked. I used to have a stuffy nose all the time from my allergies. We used the Dyson and my congestion went away. I sound like a Dyson salesperson now. lol But the vacuum has paid for its self. I rather pay more and have one that works than one that I *think* is doing its job but is really leaving a lot of dust/hair/lint in the carpet.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#71 of 95 Old 11-17-2005, 08:38 PM

My Dyson arrived by UPS today!!! Just opened it--it's so cool--and tons of stuff came with it---rug stain spray---all kinds of attachments--going to try it out.................................I am excited!
#72 of 95 Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
My Dyson arrived by UPS today!!!
You'll love it! I've decided that in the event of apocolypse, I'm taking my family, the clothes on our backs, emergency food and water, and my Dyson!!

We call the vacuum Mr. Dyson here and he's part of the family, we just love it so much. I know, we're a bit but we live in the suburbs. Can you blame us?
#73 of 95 Old 11-17-2005, 09:40 PM

Oh....I understand. I am falling in love with a machine....after just an hour together----

Wow. I am blown away by it.....and it has gotten so much dusty gunk already--the air smells cleaner.

DH isn't home yet--so he hasn't seen it--but Jackson (5 almost 6) & I were fighting over who got to vacuum each carpeted step----I was grabbing it away from him--saying "My Turn now!"

( he just turned it on---got to go vacuum-- my new favorite activity!!!!)
#74 of 95 Old 11-17-2005, 09:51 PM

I love my Electrolux. 13 years old and still going strong.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#75 of 95 Old 11-30-2005, 11:22 PM

ok maude help us if Dyson finds out about this thread. It would be a trolling marketing dream come true..........

because.............

I just got a new Dyson. So quiet! and thanks to those who said the dust bucket would not be gross to empty because it is totally not!

I was hoping to get more junk sucked up in there, so I guess my house was not as dirty as I thought!

I got the ...um...purple and orange one, I forgot the model . My DH got it for me after this discussion thread and it was for my 14th anniversary....oh well...diamonds, a vacuum...whatever!
#76 of 95 Old 12-01-2005, 01:33 AM

I want I dyson-

could someone convince my DH that we neeed a vacume even though we are living in his parents basement w/ central vac (which I hate)

the only problem is that they don't sell them in Canada

anythin online ship to canada for CHEAP?

know of any sales coming up?

I want one of those kid vacuums too...
#77 of 95 Old 12-03-2005, 12:57 AM

One more person singing the praises of Dyson!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. We have all of us and 2 dogs, so we needed it.

We have the purple one, called the animal. Don't know the model #, but it's from Target. As far as the cost, we applied for their Target Card, and got 10% off. So that helped a bit.
#78 of 95 Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 AM

I had several vacuum demonstrations before we decided on the Kirby. We were going through a vacuum every year (don't ask me how, 'cause I don't know) and spending $50-$100 each time. Our Kirby cost $1050 with all the attachments to be a carpet cleaner and it took so much dirt out of our carpet in the first week that I don't know how we managed without it. I filled up an entire bag in a week vacuuming every day...and these bags are HUGE! The distributor warned us that the first couple of bags would fill up fast and then we would go through one about once every 2 months. The vacuum just prior to this was a Eureka and it was super light, but the dust cup was a pain to have to clean out every time and it would get clogged if I vacuumed up a single cheerio. We figured it was time for a new vacuum when the bottoms of our socks started turning dark gray by the end of the day even though I vacuumed daily.
The way I look at it, the Kirby was an investment. It has a 50 year warranty on it and it sucks up more dirt faster than any other vacuum I have used. With the carpet cleaner attachment (I don't use their cleaner - it is too expensive. I use my MelaPower laundry detergent, MelaBrite and Sol-U-Mel and that works better and is about 1/4 the price.) we are saving a lot of money on renting a steam cleaner, especially since our 2 yr. old dd is potty training and our 8 mo. old dd is learning to crawl and walk.
Even though the vacuum itself is pretty heavy (it is made of metal, not plastic) it is easier to push since it has a second motor that "drives" it for me. I'll never buy another vacuum again!
#79 of 95 Old 12-04-2005, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll chime in here why I DON'T like my Dyson.

It costs too much for what it is.
For $500 the cord should retract so I don't step all over it when I vac.
To use the extension hose you have to unwind all the cord to remove the hose, even if you just want to suck up some spilled cheerios really quick.
The latches you have to disconnect to pull the hose out are difficult to undo.
I hate looking at the canister full of yuck (I have a hair/dust quirk)
The attachments fall off of the unit too easily when they're in their storage places.
I don't notice that it sucks up more dirt faster or better than other vacuums I've used (we have a cat and other small pets, and lots of sewing machine lint).
I think the Dyson is all hype. And it's priced to prove it. My floors aren't any cleaner or dirtier than they were with the crappy vac I've had since college.

Next time I'd buy a Hoover and save myself a few hundred dollars. Truly, I'm not at all impressed by my Dyson. My crappy old panasonic with bags and no frills really wasn't much different than the new one, other than the panasonic wasn't HEPA (we don't have allergies) and had a gross bag to toss every now and then (though DH has to empty the canister because that grosses me out too). The panasonic was easier to use. The extension hose just slid right out easily for quick jobs. The Dyson requires much more work for a 'quick use', making me more likely to just get my broom.
#80 of 95 Old 12-05-2005, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I do agree that the cord is a pain at times to wind back up..it's very long but it does have a quick release (turn the knob type thingy)...but of course, no quick way to roll it up. I've only seen automatic windups on canisters, not uprights but I could be wrong. A big plus to having a longer cord though is that I do not have to take the time in my house to relocate the plug because the cords are never long enough on some of the hoovers I have had, then I have to move around furniture to get to the plug..ugh..I got tired of that. To me, the long cord was a huge plus and worth the extra 15 seconds to wind up the cord at the end. I think it comes down to what irritates you in a vacuum cleaner and to cure my irritations, I felt I had to dump the hoover in favor of the dyson.

I found the attachment telescoping part to be so easy to work..works in a snap and that is how I do most of my dusting. I noticed the dc07's are different than the other models when it comes to the telescoping part. I got the dc15 but I believe the dc14 also has the easy telescoping. I also chuckle as my hubby now breaks out the dyson to do cleaning when he "never" did that before. I'm for any vacuum cleaner that will perform this task ! Every broom I had disgusted me because I eventually had to clean the filter. I even looked for brooms online and in the brick and mortar stores that had better filters and all of them required disgusting cleaning. I personally could not take that at all and gave away my broom I had. I guess I couldn't get past that gross filter cleaning.

I have had hoover after hoover after hoover and been thoroughly disgusted with them. I have been raised frugally and had a very hard time buying a dyson but I couldn't take my poor daughter's hands anymore becoming yucky after being on our floor even right after vacuuming with our last hoover windtunnel. After cleaning with my hoover, I used the new dyson, my mouth was open at what the dyson picked up and I haven't bought the cheapest hoover either. If hoover works for you..great! I looked at the extra expense this way: I spent so much money on hoovers over the past 7 yrs, it cost me more than the new dyson I got.

Lots of sales are going on with dysons. Keep your eyes open on sale ads and you sometimes see them for sale at linen's n things, best buy, etc.

The best advice I got here was to go to Best Buys and try them all out. They have all the models there. You will want to pay particular attention to the telescoping part.

Whether a person gets a dyson or a higher end model that some folks have listed here, I think one thing I wish I did before anything in life was to invest in a GOOD vacuum (and they aren't cheap by any means but well worth it). It would have saved me a lot of money in the long run.
#81 of 95 Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Just checking in to report that I bought a DYSON online tonight!!!! kind of on impulse...but not really. I've been thinking about it for a while---and our Hoover just isn't cutting it----and our ancient Electrolux decided to start petering out (smelling hot--losing suck power) right after I bought $37 worth of vaccum bags for it--arrrgh.

So I am excited for it to arrive---got a good deal--I think---DC07 Lowreach---it's red-- new w/ 2 year warranty -----I almost bought the dc14 Animal--it would have been same $$--BUT factory refurbished--w/ just 6 month warranty. Hope I made the right choice.......w/ $50 coupon & free shipping and no sales tax, it cost me $359 --I figure not having to buy bags or filters will be worth it & I plan on working it hard, so if something goes--it goes while covered--in next 2 years

----OH!! and best of all...Dyson has a promo until end of Nov. where you get a free child's vaccum....I think it'll apply even though I bought from other site.

What on line site did you buy it from? That is the model that I am currently interested in.
#82 of 95 Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM

It was.........(not my fav. online company...but best price by far for this--at the time)................................Overstock.com

And I love--the vacuum..........love.....love it!!! and I love the 3 year warranty it came with.
#83 of 95 Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Country mom you bring up a good point about the refurbished dysons. I wanted to warn people that would go this route. I was looking initially at refurbished dysons and after reading the plethora of bad reviews of them at amazon.com, I decided it wasn't worth it. I used to work for a refurbish company that would refurbish and repair expensive computer boards.....so I was skeptical along that route anyway.
#84 of 95 Old 12-09-2005, 12:49 AM

Yes....I wasn't into a refurbished--perhaps because that's what my (2 or 3 vacuums ago now..) vacuum from Sears was---a cannister Kenmore---a refurb for 249 vs. the whatever more & the motor blew etc.

Overstock does have some that are refurbished--my friend has ordered the aqua one...she didn't care @ the refurb & 1 year warrenty....she paid @ 329.

I think the 2 year warrenty is worth it--and the full gear model is coming w/ an extra year to = 3 years.......they are discontinuing it so maybe for greater peace of mind & to keep delling--they are adding the year on...not sure.

I always think of refurbs that if something was wrong ALREADY that called for it to be refurbished...it may well be a bunk machine...something off at the factory...scares me away. But a refurb can be...I THINK...say an opened box, returned..or something minor that cancels it's Brand New status...but not sure.

Oh!! Have I mentioned......I LOVE MY DYSON!!!!!
#85 of 95 Old 12-16-2005, 03:31 AM

I have a Eureka Optima, it is a little bagless canister vacuum and it only cost $50. It has a cup filter that needs to be shaken out after each vacuum, but since I only have carpet in my bedrooms and a couple of area rugs, it is not a big deal to me.

I really like it. It is lightweight and it was inexpensive. The manual said the filter could be rinsed up to six times, but I rinsed it weekly for A YEAR before I changed the filter. It came with a replacement filter, and extra filters cost $11.

I just had to buy my first replacement filter because the free extra filter is about worn out, after another YEAR of use.

I know some people have mentioned a 'yuck' factor of seeing the hair, etc on the filter, but it doesn't faze me. For $50 I vacuumed to my satisfaction for two years. It's still going strong. I know it isn't a Dyson, or Kirby or whatever, but I couldn't stand to shell out big bucks for one of those!

Just my own 2 cents!
#86 of 95 Old 12-23-2005, 08:42 AM

dh is willing to splurge for a Dyson (MY holiday gift). ok, i know im weird,but im really excited about this! I hate bags and im so tired of vacuums loosing suction!
so, at Sears, we found one Dyson (oldest model) for $400..next up is $430. is it worth it? which one do you have? please let me know b/c we are going to get one today!!! yeh yeh yeh!

rach

p.s. its official im turning into an old woman!!i would rather have this cool vacuum cleaner than jewelry!!!
#87 of 95 Old 12-23-2005, 10:08 AM

I recently got a Roomba (it was at a silent auction and it was a very good deal). I don't like to vacuum so I love that it does it without me. It obviously does not have the suction of a big upright, but it will go over the same spot several times in a session, so through perserverance it seems to get the job done. When it's done, it goes back to it's base to charge itself. It also plays a cheerful little tune when starting or stopping. It definitely feels like another pet in the house. We all talk to it!

The very best thing about it is my three year old loves to watch it so much, he will pick up all his toys so it can vacuum. He asks for it every day! I will always keep another vacuum to go through the house quickly, but if you have time to let it work, the Roomba is fun.
#88 of 95 Old 12-31-2005, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Rach,

All the advice here is top notch..but one piece of advice that helped me decide was going to Best Buy and trying them out. I ended up choosing the DC15. I absolutely love the DC15..hands down.

Before you go to Best Buy to check them out, check out the dyson website and atleast look at the features. They have an awesome website. You may decide that the dc07 isn't for you because the telescoping of the dc14 and dc15 are really cool. The ball ease is what made me decide on the dc15..and I don't regret it. I HATE heavy cumbersome vacuum cleaners.
#89 of 95 Old 01-08-2006, 10:51 PM

It took me forever and a day to convince DH that the Dyson was worth the money. I managed to find a sale at Home Depot (they weren't going to be carrying them anymore - 30% off! ) I called him frm the store and told him I was buying my Dyson, unless he could think of a compelling reason why not. He couldn't.

What you need to remember about Consumer Reports is that they look at the value *for the money*, which is why expensive stuff will often finish in 2nd or even 3rd place, even though it may work as well or better than the cheaper alternative. The rational is that, for $150, the Boss works nearly as well as the $350 Dyson, so it's a better all-around value.
#90 of 95 Old 01-09-2006, 01:59 AM

I LOVE my Dyson!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page