Tell me about your vacuum cleaner! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 95 Old 08-11-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help I think. For awhile, I enjoyed my stick vacuum cleaner:

http://www.epinions.com/Bissell_3101...ay_~full_specs

Pros: It's light weight, it works for being only a few amps of power and picking up light duty cleaning, has crevice tool.

Cons: short cord, filter that requires gross cleaning at each dumping of the cup.

I want a vacuum that does it all! hehe. Actually, I really would like one that I do not have to scrape off hair and gross dirt from the filter at every cup dumping. This one doesn't have a bag but it has a filter and it is misleading that it says that it is as easy as just unclipping the cup and dumping it. No, you have to take out the filter from the cup and not only do you dump the cup but you have to pick off all the gross stuff that adhered to the filter which is clumps of crap. If it's cordless that is a plus but I'd go for one that had a longer cord perhaps..as long as the filter thing was taken care of.
#2 of 95 Old 08-14-2005, 05:06 PM

Well I love my dyson. I am seriously in love with it. It has a 17 foot cord. I can almost vacuum my entire house with out moving the plug in! All you have to do is dump the canister when it gets full. I just shake it a few times to get the crap off but you don't have to. If I get really ambitious (about twice a year) I take a brush to it and clean all the dust off. It is great. It will suck up anything and everything. I would highly recommend looking in to them.

Good luck!
#3 of 95 Old 08-15-2005, 06:33 PM

This is the vacuum we just got. We were deciding between this and the dyson, trying to talk ourselves into the dyson, which I'm sure is far better. But we're really happy with our decision, esp for the price. I LOVE it, no bags, the cord self winds, good suction, works on carpet and hardwood floors well, the handtool is easy to use (although it took me a while to figure out that there's a clip to push to make it easier to pull out). If it does get clogged (I did it with tissues the other day) there aren't any mystery holes to wander down, it's pretty direct. It is a little hard to push on carpet, but I need the exercise anyways, lol. My MIL, who is a cleaning freak, tried it and decided to go get one for herself.

Here's basically what it is, it looks the same, but the model name isn't, we didn't get it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tchen&n=507846
#4 of 95 Old 08-15-2005, 06:45 PM

Another plug for the Dyson, I LOOOVE ours! It works wonderfully for picking up our sheddy dog's fur and I feel like our carpet gets really clean. Very easy to use as well.
#5 of 95 Old 08-16-2005, 09:03 AM

Love my Dyson too - the whole house smells really clean when I'm done vacuuming. The long cord is great!

Vicki
#6 of 95 Old 08-16-2005, 09:16 AM

I've heard really great things about the dyson, and when it's time to get a new vac, I'll probably look at one. I have a roomba, and the really nice thing about it is that I can have it going while I do other things, and it gets under all the furniture really well. It actually does a better job of vaccuming than I do, and it automatically senses what flooring it's on.
#7 of 95 Old 08-16-2005, 09:26 AM

Great thread- have been wondering the same thing!! :

Stacey- WOHM and wife to Jesse- : Athena , Huckleberry : Fiona : Shillelagh : and Calliope
#8 of 95 Old 08-16-2005, 09:34 AM

Another vote for Dyson. We have had ours just under 2 years and it gets used hard in this house. At least 6 times a week with 5 kids, a lab and a kitty. The hose broke a few weeks ago and dh fixed it(kind of) but it broke again. I finally made him call Dyson because I was sick of his whining. He told them the situation and they had a new hose and handle here in 3 days.
#9 of 95 Old 08-16-2005, 09:40 AM

Thanks for starting this thread.

One of the things I hate about my vacuum is that it is horribly LOUD (Wind Tunnel). Is the Dyson really loud?
#10 of 95 Old 08-16-2005, 10:24 AM

The Dyson is surprisingly quiet for how strong it sucks. Honestly, my dog used to go CRAZY with our other vaccuum and now with the Dyson, he sits there contentedly. DH even commented the first time I used it that it is quiet and if I was sure that it was working!
#11 of 95 Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 PM

"I have a Hoover Wind Tunnel, and it cleans better than Dyson."

sorry I couldn't resist!!!!! That commercial cracks me up.

But I DO have a windtunnel, which I like.
#12 of 95 Old 08-16-2005, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomom
Thanks for starting this thread.

One of the things I hate about my vacuum is that it is horribly LOUD (Wind Tunnel). Is the Dyson really loud?
Our Bosch is pretty quiet.
#13 of 95 Old 08-17-2005, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

After looking at the dyson models, I have to say, my husband would commit me to a mental institution if I even breathed how much they cost and said I wanted one haha.

Needless to say, I was shocked at the price. I bet they are worth it and I believe you lol but I couldn't believe a vaccum could cost that. I grew up frugal so maybe that is why I can't even fathom that cost.

I went to walmart (and looked online at the main mfg's websites) and looked at their stick vaccums, all were bagless and the filter would require gross shaking. Not my cup of tea . I mean to tell you, I'm so grossed out by having to clean the filter that I simply can not look forward to cleaning my house weekly anymore with a bagless vaccum cleaner. I haven't come across a stick vaccum that has a bag unless it was the delonghi which was also pretty spendy . I have a hoover that is ok but it's big and clunky for my big cleaning days...not something for 2-3 times weekly cleanings.

Sherra
#14 of 95 Old 08-19-2005, 12:48 PM

I'm desperate for a new vac, and i'd LOOOOVE a dyson but at this point there are SO many things we need to buy for the house/baby that It seems silly to spend THAT much on a tool when there are much cheaper ones.

Mainly I buy for both quality and price (my dad's a best of the best person, my mom as stingy as they come, she's all about garage sales...so I got a little of both...hehe) but when the money ain't there....

The biggest concern I have is I bought a dirt devil "vision" when I had my own apartment about 5 years ago. It does a good job cleaning carpets, but for my little 1bdrm apartment I'd have to empty the dirt cup about 5 times!
Not only that, but the filter is IN the dirt cup, and you have to get the filter out of the cup before dumping and then knock off the wads of hair and dirt and fuzz, and the filter hasn't been clean since the first time I used it!

I probably am way over due for one, but I don't think I can even buy another anyways...but even if I did, whats the point??

DH has terrible allergies/eczema/asthma (mmm...good genes!) so I actually have to make sure he's left the room when I'm vacing so that the dust from emptying the cup and trying to knock off some of the gunge from the filter doesn't trigger anything major!
I have to empy the cup outside too, because it bothers ME and i'm never bothered by stuff like that....blah.

Plus, in our livingroom which is a nice size, but hardly huge....I need to empy the thing like 2-3 times. Grr. Takes me HOURS to vacuum my house!

Then, my sis came to visit me just before I moved in with my DH, and brought her hamster/gerbil too. Either her fuzzy creature was very ambitious, or my cats spotted it hidden and "safe" because the little plastic cage thing was knocked over like 3 times. I got up as much of the bedding as humanly possible, but had to vac to get the rest up, as it was over carpet.
My vac completely locked up from the tube that feeds from the bar....and I had to disassemble it and snake it out with a hanger, like THREE times before it was working again...sorta.

Even now, the attachment hose thing doesn't work AT ALL. and since our new house seems infested with spiders (ewww) this is a PITA. i've had to resort to the damp papertowel method to remove the webs and such. would be so nice to stick the wand into a crack and suck the bastards out

I love bagless uprights, but after this....i'm super wary of buying one....
I want to make SURE I won't have these problems anymore (esp the dusty filter yuck)
#15 of 95 Old 08-20-2005, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love my Dyson...love it love it love it!
#16 of 95 Old 08-21-2005, 09:48 PM

how much are the dyson filters, and how often do you replace them?
#17 of 95 Old 08-21-2005, 10:04 PM

We got a dyson too it was hard to talk my dh into the price but its fairly quiet (the baby doesn't have a fit when its used) and i love that i just push the button and it empies no touching anything gross or dusty. oh its also light enough that the 6yo can push it around and do a pretty good job with it though she isnt so good about the edges and under the furniture!
#18 of 95 Old 08-22-2005, 03:10 PM

We just bought the dyson... I LOVE IT! There are a few things I'd change about it if I could (I wish it had a retractable cord) but it is awesome. I have asthma and vacuuming was always bad for me - with the dyson, I don't even notice a difference.

I also love the push button emptying

Yay for my dyson!
#19 of 95 Old 08-22-2005, 03:25 PM

Can anyone compare dyson's

We are looking into getting either the Costco one http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...pnav=&cat=&s=1

Or the "animal"

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#20 of 95 Old 08-22-2005, 03:28 PM

well, my vacuum sucks.

its a hoover- piece of crapola really.
I would love to get a Dyson.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#21 of 95 Old 08-22-2005, 04:45 PM

we went to Best Buy and looked at all the Dyson's... and bought the plainest, cheapest one. Didn't really see the need for extra attachments. But at Best Buy you can try them all out (you don't have to buy them there, but it was nice to get a feel for them).

We really liked the ball one... but it was so much more expensive, we didn't buy it. It is cool, though.
#22 of 95 Old 08-23-2005, 02:39 PM

Well, I'm going to be odd man (or would that be Mama? :LOL ) out here and say I love love LOVE my Rainbow vacuum!!
I just can't use any other vacuum without getting all stuffed up and getting a headache.
It's definitely not cheap, and it's a little extra work with the water, but SOOOO worth it IMO!

I my vacuum, hehe.

Also, it's great with alot of different surfaces, which is good for us because we now have 3 carpeted rooms and the rest wood-type flooring
#23 of 95 Old 08-23-2005, 06:10 PM

GenevievesMama, I will joining in you in loving Rainbow vacuums.

My gets used hard and not taken the best care of but boy does it clean. Ours is 7 years old and going strong.

Its so nice to look down in the nap of the carpetting and seeing no dirt whatsoever after its been vacuumed with the rainbow.
#24 of 95 Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 AM

My brother is demo-ing the KIRBY vaccum--I had a no pressure to buy in home demo and I have to say I was impressed. I am not buying one, but when my current vaccum bites the dust--I may *consider* one. (I am on vaccum #5 of my adult life----and as Kirby says their 1,000 something vaccum costs less considering you have it for life & it's guarenteed for life. (I have probably spent close to that w/ my mix of Hoover--Electrolux--Kenmore--Shark etc that die out after 2-3 years)

The amount of stuff it pulled from the few rugs I do have was unbelievable---the motor is strong--it has 2 motors--one which never is touched by dirt & dust-----Why do I sound like a sales rep?!! It pulled sand & crud from our 2 year ols foam/futon mattress............and it sucked so much age old dirt from carpeted stairs--inches of it--(they use these black filters for demo and it just sucks & sucks out crud--especially if you have a carpet pad that holds it all in)

Anyway.......my house is way cleaner from that demo---but I'll go on w/ my electrolux which is as old as me maybe--but not the strongest suction & my Hoover hepa cannister vac....until I have to buy another...then I'll try to spend the $$$ & really might consider the KIRBY.

Prices are negotiable----I'd be willing to pay $700 --not the $1450 or whatever they TRY to sell it for---and I would pay cash/check---NEVER their financing plan--that makes me despise the company--they get people to finance--and are not upfront about the terms etc.

But it's a heavy motor /machine....which makes me pause....and it looks industrial--it's not a pretty jewel colored thing like some other vacs I admire....but it gets the job done which I guess is the whole point.......

Anyone have one?? the Kirby? I'd like to know how it is day to day---not just the dramatic demo...........
#25 of 95 Old 08-24-2005, 12:28 PM

I havn't used a Dyson, Kirby, or a Rainbow vacuum.

Ever since I bought my Riccar, 7 years ago, I couldn't imagine any other vacuum working better. The Riccar automatically adjusts for hard surfaced floors and carpeted floors. And, the hose, permanently attached, is super powerfull. I vacuum everything in my house with the Riccar.

So now, there's another option to concider. I chose the Riccar because the vacuum shop in my area sells and repairs them, which makes it conventient for buying filters and such.
#26 of 95 Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 PM

I grew up with a Kerby, and hated it,maybe they have changed. It was so heavy really really heavy. Every time we turned it on dust blew out the bag in the back, loud and oh did I say heavy?

We never had a clean house, but I doubt that was the fault of the kerby.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#27 of 95 Old 08-24-2005, 10:05 PM

I got a kirby last year, and actually hated it!! It was WAYY too much work for a vaccuum. CHanging the attachments was a pain, they werent onboard, so you had to go back for them, there were way too many attachments, it is heavy(not a problem due to the motor, but you still hae to carry it sometimes, room to room,and also you have to pick it up to change the attachments) It is shiny, and to keep it shiny takes work, it shows all fingerprints. It is loud, and the light that lit up to show where I was going used to gie me a headache.
I had it for a week, was just realizing how much I didnt like it, when the financing fell through!! What a relief that was!
I had traded in my old vac, so they came and took the Kirby and gave me a windtunnel that someone else had turned it. sweet deal!
I will neer own a kirby again!
#28 of 95 Old 08-25-2005, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

gahh people are making me want a dyson. I absolutely love that dumping part they have. I think their filters are used for a lifetime or maybe one more filter is needed from what I read.

I just saw this one from hoover though..seems to dump the same but I'm unsure about the filter..how often it would need to be "washed":

http://www.hoover.com/Fusion/xq/asp....nicBagless.htm

It is more in my pricerange but I don't want to jump from one fire into another. Anyone have this hoover?

Sherra
#29 of 95 Old 08-25-2005, 04:30 PM

Apparently for the Dyson they suggest you clean the filter once a year (or every 6 months, I forget) but it should be a lifetime thing. The weird thing is that the salespeople try to push you into buying an extra filter "just in case" -- I don't quite understand what that was about...

That looks like a nice hoover... too bad we didn't see it when we were looking!
#30 of 95 Old 09-07-2005, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my baby is starting to try to crawl. She's inchworming everywhere now. I've become grossed out beyond belief and watching her like a hawk so she doesn't get gross stuff on her drooly hands. Well, I had had it after picking off hair and icky stuff off her hands..and I approached the subject with hubby.

I pointed him to this thread and he said..hmm..sounds like we need to get a dyson? He said, how much do they cost. I said..oh..a lot but she really will be on the floor so maybe we should think about a good vacuum. I then pointed him to the website. Dyson has an awesome website. We decided on the DC-15 model. I used it tonight and oh lordy...I showed him what was in it after I was done and we both looked at our baby and thought..holy crap that was on our carpet AFTER our hoover ran over the carpet?

So I said to hubby, what do we do with the hoover? It still works. He laughed and said, I just am not sure I can give that to someone in good faith rofl. I will take it to goodwill. It still does work. We figured hoover has never done us very well in the past, we were not going to chance it with the hoover-dyson knockoff and get burned again.

So, thanks ladies for this. I now understand why people really like them. No way though will I tell my mom and dad how much it cost..they'd never get their eyes back in their sockets lol.

Sherra

PS. Best Buy had them on sale so we didn't pay full price. Also if you buy their 10 dollar rewards program for the year, you get back money because it is such a big purchase. Another place to buy it is:

http://www.vacuum-direct.com/

You do not pay sales tax, nor shipping and also they will beat any online price. If you go to epinions.com, you will see the lowest prices found on the net. I looked into the company (different one than the link above) tho that had the lowest price and they were junk dealer even if they had high star ratings. Their complaints on epinions weren't a company I wanted to deal with. So you want to buy off the net, you can try the company link above and email them or call them and ask for the cheapest price from that other company on epinions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page